Re:Here's a mad idea...

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Skippy.

Will there be any Spy Glass sequences by chance?
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Fear
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Fear »

SkipTheDreadnought wrote: Hey boys and girls!

It's Skippy The Dreadnought, everyone's favourite bone-grinding mechanized killing machine. Since joining this community five days ago I've had my head fried with memories of long-lost Knightmare characters, obstacles and deaths. And yes, I have dreamt about it. I've even joined the Knightmare Roleplay board, marking the first time I've indulged in any kind of freeform RPG in a decade. Cool stuff.

I'm a graphic and web designer in my spare time, and I'm currently teaching myself Macromedia Flash MX. It was during one of my coding sessions that I had a mad idea. And it's this:

What would you say to a playable, completely Web-based, singleplayer Knightmare adventure?

You wouldn't need to download the game, you could just play it in the Web browser (hopefully). It would take the traditional TV show route, where you have to guide a lone dungeoneer (classic Helm Of Justice only, of course) through a perilous series of hazards and levels to complete the quest.

Gimme you views on the following:
- Is it a good idea?
- Would you play it?
- How should the dungeoneer be controlled?
- What kind of hazards would you like to see included?
- Locations, characters, objects, puzzles, etc.

I'm prepared to invest a fair bit of time on this (between my other design projects, which unfortunately must take precedence in this case). Post up here with ANY ideas or opinions you might have.

Anyone interested?

Skip
Go for it.
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SkipTheDreadnort »

Hey guys, it's your new favourite Dungeon Master.

I was indeed toying with the Spyglass sequence ideas, Lord Fear. I'm going to work this one in a fairly stark, almost comic-book graphical style - and before you all soil your pants in horror, I'm talking less Beano and more Akira. The harsh lighting and shadow and expressive characters would, I reckon, translate very well to a colourful, cel-shaded look. Imagine Lord Fear himself, eyes glowering and cloak billowing, in full Manga-esque glory.

With that said, the SpyGlass sequences - and, indeed, character interaction in general - will take place via speech bubbles, which the player will be able to navigate through with a mere click of their mouse. I've also had some pretty wild ideas for shillouetted death sequences. Picture, if you will, a player failing to give the password to The Dreadnought (for example). Then picture a blood-red background, upon which is superimposed the jet-black shillouette of The Dreadnought tearing the dungeoneer's limbs off, in freeze-frame. Then the bells toll, the Life Force Skull appears and crumbles away, eyes rolling.... Game Over.

If that doesn't get you excited, you must be dead.

Skip
Knightmare: The Deeper Dungeons (working title) - Coming Soon
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Ooh Nasty... way of getting killed.

Can't wait to see LF in a different way then on the TV.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Errrrrm...

*coughs*

...this sort of thing is already being done online every year with regards to the KM RPG...

..nevertheless, a Flash based thing would still be cool beans (to use Emii's phrase), so... yeah!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Sounds like a nice idea. Yes we make an RPG, but that does not run all year long, maybe if this did it would keep gaming brains in action longer.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Cool beans! Anything is worth a try - I'm all up for putting forth ideas :)
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Now hang on just a moment!

We'll have no talk of year-long episodes, KM-RPG or anything like that. This will, when its finished, stand as a real-time, single-player adventure game delivered via Flash Player. The reason I want to do it is because there has already been a couple of Knightmare games - one on the good old Commodore64, and one on the Amiga - and neither of them came anywhere near to capturing the spirit and style of the TV show. This is what I want to address.

There will be no multiplayer mode, no organic storylines, no free-roaming gameplay, and definitely no swordplay. This is a self-contained adventure game, simple as that.

Having said that, one idea I have had is of developing a Level Editor and Level Player that could be distributed for free. That way, all you guys could create your own dungeons, complete with traps, objects and characters, and distribute them for others to try and defeat! We could have a separate forum going where all the level files get distributed, and people could post up their opinion about a level, how they defeated certain traps, ideas for improvement, and completion times.

Of course, this is mere speculation at the moment. I've tentatively pencilled in an end-of-July completion time for the initial adventure. Once that's been taken care of, we can worry about the rest.

Keep those ideas coming, there's a lot of support so far, but not a lot in the way of practical ideas. Get going!

Skip
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

SkipTheDreadnought wrote: Now hang on just a moment!

We'll have no talk of year-long episodes, KM-RPG or anything like that. This will, when its finished, stand as a real-time, single-player adventure game delivered via Flash Player. The reason I want to do it is because there has already been a couple of Knightmare games - one on the good old Commodore64, and one on the Amiga - and neither of them came anywhere near to capturing the spirit and style of the TV show. This is what I want to address.

There will be no multiplayer mode, no organic storylines, no free-roaming gameplay, and definitely no swordplay. This is a self-contained adventure game, simple as that.

Having said that, one idea I have had is of developing a Level Editor and Level Player that could be distributed for free. That way, all you guys could create your own dungeons, complete with traps, objects and characters, and distribute them for others to try and defeat! We could have a separate forum going where all the level files get distributed, and people could post up their opinion about a level, how they defeated certain traps, ideas for improvement, and completion times.

Of course, this is mere speculation at the moment. I've tentatively pencilled in an end-of-July completion time for the initial adventure. Once that's been taken care of, we can worry about the rest.

Keep those ideas coming, there's a lot of support so far, but not a lot in the way of practical ideas. Get going!

Skip
What I meant was - The game can be picked up and played at any time, wheras the Online RPG cannot be. I didn't mean that it would be constantly updated throughout that year, not at all.
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Got it, sorry for the mix-up. To be honest, I've never heard of the online RPG, or how it operates, so forgive my ignorance.

What I reckon would be cool is if everybody had the opportunity to develop their own dungeons for others to play. This would necessitate some kind of standardisation - but since the 'real' Knightmare TV dungeons were all grid-based anyway, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'll get some graphics treatments up this week, if anyone can provide me with some decent-quality Series 1-4 shots I'd be extremely grateful.

Skip
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

There is a handy RPGFAQ floating around somewhere if you wish to view it, providing someone can link it! (I have no idea of the location at the mo)
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Hey folks,

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded a rough animation test of the siege mortar bomb from Series 1-2. Check it out if you like:

http://www.skiponline.4t.com/km/test1.html

Let me know what you think.

Skip
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Now, forgive me if I'm wrong, but is this going to be like an animated version of Ali Everett's Knightmare Challenge games? Coolies if so!
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Sorry, I'm not familiar with his work. What's that all about?
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

http://catacombite.genesis.mine.nu/Dark ... 2start.htm

and

http://members.lycos.co.uk/catacombite/Kmarestart.html

are your links. They are very good, but more like text adventures with non-animated illustrations. You don't have any direct control, for example, in the corridor of blades. If you have the right objects, you continue. If you don't, you're dead.

They are also rather hard and unforgiving.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"