Re:Here's a mad idea...

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

I'll ask him when I see him. Probably won't be until the weekend now (Damn work for chaning my hours. 3pm til 11pm, I can't even get to the pub now!!!! Grrrrr.)
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SkipTheDreadnort »

If you want a rough idea of my Flash prowess so far - and I'm getting better every day - visit my site, http://www.skiponline.4t.com/ and have a look.

Skip
Knightmare: The Deeper Dungeons (working title) - Coming Soon
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

Not a good idea to check whilst at work. This ancient machine would probably explode with the merest thought of Flash.

I'll have a butchers when I get home.
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Oh, flashy lights and things!

Cool, any plans for a Combat Chess Room?
Last edited by HarveyTowers on 29 Jun 2004, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

The 3D Construction Kit, ee, that takes me back.

Not to mention SEUCK, which, well, SEUCKed. ;D
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
dragon_of_the_cave
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dragon_of_the_cave »

That is a mad idea!as you cannot make web browser games on that programme. They are downloadable, or by hard copy transferable only, read the label! Would have been nice but sorry to dissapoint.
Life is a Knightmare- just kidding!
keke
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by keke »

it's in flash which can be used in a browser. even if it was downloadable i'd spend a week downloading it. sounds like its gonna be amazing
Knightmare game completion:
Level 1: 100%
Level 2: 8%
Level 3: 1%
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

Ooooh. Now this is purdy. Love everything I've heard about it so far, although it would be nice to have some odd movement interfaces (for example, how are you going to tell the dungeoneer to rub the soap on the floor while in the Snake's Stomach, or get on all fours and crawl forward because it's one of the required steps in Merlin's chamber. Assuming you decide to include those in. The stomach is slightly gross but kinda boring when you get used to it, the chamber was a rather nice Season 3 feature.

Now then... I dun know why but I'm feeling the corridoor of blades should be the level 2/level 3 gateway ^^

Like the way you're intending to use the lifeforce, but don't forget that it was quite often reset to the start of the red area between rooms.

I do have a thaught that it might be interesting in the final if you have spare rooms that non-critical rooms could be randomly selected between (so all levels would have their own database of 'random rooms' and each time a random room is called have it access one of those rooms, setting it so that it can't be accessed again. Don't know if Flash code is sophisticated enough to allow for that, though, but it would be nice if it did. Also, taking the wrong path (if indicated) should lead to 'instant death rooms', which could be selected in the same way.

Riddles should be the same sort of range as the first three season's riddles, but of a slightly higher difficulty considering the audience is, I would assume, mainly, those who watched the show as a kid so... 11 or 12? in 1990 (mid range of the show, ish) Would mean the questions should be targetted towards the 25ish demographic... Maybe 8k/16k millionaire difficulty or so? (I'm guesstimating the target audience for a show that I was watching at 5 in 1990 as being slightly more than twice my age back then. Go figure.)

Maybe stick some familiar dark fantasy/mythological/folklaw enemies that were missing from the series, such as vampires and werewolves. Could be interesting.

Oh... Here's a thaught. Sewers of goth, two boatmen. Both look identical. You know, however, that one is with the Powers that Be and one is with the Opposition. Pick the wrong boat and half way along the journy (potential for items, magic and info to be given, in fact, play it along so that you don't know until near the end) the boatman throws you out. I'm sure from that your imagination can come up with a suitable death-scene for that.

I don't think Medussa would work in the way you're implementing the game, sadly. Lilith would work but I wasn't too keen on the 'take item a to location b, hope item a is the right item for location b. If item a is not the right item for location b your adventure ends here' bits. Non-Lilith characters like that were (usually) more interesting because they quite often had (or seemed to have) non-intended methods of getting past them.

Trial by spikes and the transporter pad room I feel should be included.

But, this is your project and I'm essentially trying to offer ideas without knowing the full picture, so... Take them or leave them :)
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Welcome Gizensha! I like the ideas, especially the dual boatman thing - you'd have to answer sufficient riddles to get a clue as to which to take, otherwise guess!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SkipTheDreadnort »

You must have telekinetic powers or something, Gizensha. I've already laid out the engine for random selection of what I call 'non-set-piece' locations. By the same token, taking wrong turns will lead to a random blast of instant-deathness - if anyone has ideas for cool ways to kill the dungeoneer that doesn't require intervention from the player, please let me hear 'em.

The 'twin boatman' idea is cool, I've already got a similar thing going as early as Level 1! Actually it's the Level 1 wellways - there's two of 'em! By answering riddles and solving puzzles correctly during the level, the dungeoneer would know which wellway to drop down. One of them, of course, leads to Level 2 - the other to a gruesome demise. Mwa ha ha etc.

As I've warned, the game will be hard. And how do I spell 'hard'? F-I-E-N-D-I-S-H. The riddles will reflect this. They will NOT be based on ANY riddles used in ANY part of the Knightmare universe (that includes the books).

Key characters - Lord Fear, Sly Hands, Merlin etc - will be included. I will, however, be using some characters from the KM-RPG to fill in the extra slots. Yes, that IS a confirmation. However, character interaction will not feature all that heavily - I'll be using lots of hard-as-nails environmental challenges instead.

Controls have already been discussed here - however any 'action' buttons will be context-specific: that is, changing to 'take', 'talk', 'pull lever', 'enter well' etc depending on the situation. 'Duck' will always be available.

The 'if you don't have the item you're dead' effect will be minimal, but WILL be included at key points. If the player has answered riddles/ solved puzzled well, there will be no ambiguity about which items to take. If they haven't, they're stupid, and deserve to die.

One more thing - dragon_of_the_cave, I'm afraid I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Please don't take this as an insult or anything, but either you're very confused as to what's going on here, or you simply haven't read the thread properly. If Flash MX can not create web browser games, someone obviously didn't tell the poor b*stards at http://www.2flashgames.com/ and the hundred other game sites dedicated to it. Go to the back of the class.

Still, it's great to see so many people getting on board. I just hope I can live up to the hype in some way. I'm nearly done with my house move, so the work begins in earnest next week. Unless my 'puter blows up, which is looking increasingly likely.

Skip
Knightmare: The Deeper Dungeons (working title) - Coming Soon
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

SkipTheDreadnort wrote:Key characters - Lord Fear, Sly Hands, Merlin etc - will be included. I will, however, be using some characters from the KM-RPG to fill in the extra slots. Yes, that IS a confirmation.
Dose that meen just characters from there or will some RP Forum characters be involved?
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

If you intend to use characters from either the RPG filming or the Roleplay Forum - and there are fantastic characters in both places - I think it's a good idea to get endorsement from the people who play those characters. Not so much for legal reasons, more out of courtesy. :)
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Would be nice if you asked the people concerned as Drassil said, some are rather proud of their creations.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Gizensha
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Gizensha »

Hm. Had a possable idea for a level 1 causeway, something along the lines of some of the crystal maze games (originally thaught the weird room with crossing a path of 'lillypads' by going things like stepping from Blind mice + 4 onto (deadly sins * 2) - 1 but then realised that it might work better with one of the connections games which was things like *picture of a group of sports equipment, link it to a car (sports car), link it to a pool (carpool), etc. And no, I have no clue how anyone didn't get those puzzles either. That's one of the odd things about that show.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Hows this for idea: if there is a tri-door room, and there have been no clues etc (or even if have) one is obviously safe - have one result in death (the one that it obviously isn't) and other one = hell. Corridor of blades, bomb room, another fiendish room (say block and tackle then a set of riddles - then they end up at the room they would have done if they'd got the correct door initially? Gruesome deaths - end up in the cogs of the machine - dungeon?! How many pieces?!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.