Re:Wall Aid 11

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Hiya, yeah, I have a slightly different idea.

My idea is that we write a song about 'perfect quests', ie. winners, who are now forgotten - presenting them as fallen heroes. Here are some snippets of what I have so far:
Was a perfect quest,
But Dickon is all alone,
And Barry is on his own,
In the dark.

Oh, it's such a perfect quest,
I'm glad I won series two!
Oh, such a perfect quest,
You just kept us hanging on,
But you've left us all alone.

(Over the solo, a spoken voice rhapsodises about the winning quests and how they will always live on in our hearts and minds, &c.)

We, we, we watch you so...
We, we, we watch you so...
(&c)

Oh, such a perfect quest.
I think it's a good idea, as David suggests above, to combine the two. We could still reference different quests as it goes on. It's just a short song and there isn't a lot of scope for change - four verses and two choruses - so there's a lot to pack in!

Anyway, if there are any developments, I'll post a bit of a shout...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

It's such a perfect quest
I'm glad I watched it with you
It such a perfect quest
You just keep side stepping on
You just keep side st-ep-ping on...
Just a thought :)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Or how about...

Post by Pooka »

{Malefact}
It's a Perfect Quest, though - like taking attributes of all the (better) winning quests and making them into the lyric.

{Pooka}
We could do that. Make each verse part of a existing winning quest, and create our own 'perfect' quest.
Just a thought...
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Or how about...

Post by Darren »

Pooka wrote:
{Malefact}
It's a Perfect Quest, though - like taking attributes of all the (better) winning quests and making them into the lyric.

{Pooka}
We could do that. Make each verse part of a existing winning quest, and create our own 'perfect' quest.
Just a thought...
Its got my vote ;)
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Another idea from a few mins ago:

"How about, if we are describing actual quests in the verses, we make the second line of the chorus 'I'm glad we got to watch you' ?"
Carpe Diem - sieze the moment.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Darren wrote:
Pooka wrote: {Malefact}

{Pooka}

Just a thought...
Its got my vote ;)
??? As someone who hopes to contribute to the songwriting whatever path is chosen, it would help me if you could explain why that idea is the one that gets your vote. Personally, I'm not sure I fully understand it, as it's not been illustrated by example lyrics as the others have.

In my current opinion, the best approach for the lyrics is (as in my example) to narrate various incidents, just as Perfect Day starts off doing. It's straightforward and allows scope for both own-voice singing and a range of character impersonations, which some people would prefer. To be honest, the theme of winning dungeoneers being forgotten doesn't make much sense to me, and besides, the 'familiar faces in uncharacteristic circumstances' idea was an avenue we explored in the last song by suggesting that wall monsters are starving.

As for perfection; to me, 'Perfect Quest' need mean nothing more than a perfectly successful quest, i.e. any victorious one. If we drift off into pondering the nature of perfection in the lyrics, the tongue-in-cheek aspect might be compromised, which would be a shame.

Once we're clearer on how to approach the verses, and from whose perspectives they'll be sung, it'll be easier to settle on the choruses.
Last edited by Drassil on 03 May 2006, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Darren
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Darren »

Drassil wrote:
Darren wrote:
Pooka wrote: {Malefact}

{Pooka}

Just a thought...
Its got my vote ;)
??? As someone who hopes to contribute to the songwriting whatever path is chosen, it would help me if you could explain why that idea is the one that gets your vote. Personally, I'm not sure I fully understand it, as it's not been illustrated by example lyrics as the others have.

In my current opinion, the best approach for the lyrics is (as in my example) to narrate various incidents, just as Perfect Day starts off doing. It's straightforward and allows scope for both own-voice singing and a range of character impersonations, which some people would prefer. To be honest, the theme of winning dungeoneers being forgotten doesn't make much sense to me, and besides, the 'familiar faces in uncharacteristic circumstances' idea was an avenue we explored in the last song by suggesting that wall monsters are starving.

As for perfection; to me, 'Perfect Quest' need mean nothing more than a perfectly successful quest, i.e. any victorious one. If we drift off into pondering the nature of perfection in the lyrics, the tongue-in-cheek aspect might be compromised, which would be a shame.

Once we're clearer on how to approach the verses, and from whose perspectives they'll be sung, it'll be easier to settle on the choruses.
I really like the idea, getting all the good bits of the best quests, and putting them all together into the perfect quest, and so far, its probably the best idea i've heard, thus why it got my vote (not that we are voting on anything, its just a figgure of speach)

After much thinking, this is going to be very difficult to put together, because everyone is saying something different. Loads of people are moaning about whats good and whats bad. We didn't get anywhere the other day either.

We need to try a different approach
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I'd like to think it would still be possible to get another filk recorded by Christmas, if enough people are able and willing. Obviously we didn't succeed in our attempts to collaborate on a new song parody, so my suggestions are:

- Allowing one person to write 'Perfect Quest';

- Using a filk that's already been written. In my opinion, the best candidate is All I Want Is Knightmare To View: it has a Christmas connection, and was written by more than one person. There are also two parodies of 'Last Christmas' available.

If anyone else has any polite, constructive thoughts about this, please add them to this thread.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I suggest you do both i.e. aim to release AIWIKTV in time for Xmas, and then aim to release Perfect Quest some time in the Spring.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I've written 'Perfect Quest' by myself, but that was because I got bored. I've been singing the lyrics along to the karaoke file for some time now (so much that they're memorised actually).

I'd be perfectly happy to produce another filk, as I produced Wall Aid 11, and have been honing my skills since then - 'All I Want Is Knightmare' I like, and it'd be a good idea.

It's a shame that Darren isn't on hand, because he'd want to be involved. But if we do another filk (and I'm quite enchanted with the idea now), I'm sure I could get hm involved if he wanted.

There's also no reason we can't do both, or more. ;)

Can I just do a quick survey... if anyone reads this thread - who would actually want to sing a line in any future Knightmare filks? (Evidently you'd have to have a mike.)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Here is the current situation:

I've been in touch with Darren. He kindly gave me guidelines for acquiring a karaoke/backing track via a chatroom; but the process isn't as straightforward as I was expecting, and I've got nowhere. I've tried search engines, but the longer I spend trawling without success, the less fun and the more irritating it all becomes. I'd rather not register or pay to download a karaoke track, especially with so few people showing an interest in the project. Midis are readily available, but none of the ones I've downloaded sounds quite right. Darren has also sent me recordings of himself singing the opening verse(s), and there's no disputing their quality, but when I played those vocals alongside a backing track sample with the same tempo as the original song, they didn't 'sync up'.

So unless anyone else is willing to take an active role in organising this and guarantee against further wasted time, I think I will align myself with the collective apathy, but not without the hope that there will be another KM filk recording some time in the future.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I'm not sure people are apathetic though. I just think, if they're anything like me, they're not sure exactly what help they can be. I mean I'd offer to sing a line, but my singing's so bad I make Geri Halliwell sound like she has a woman's voice or something.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
TheMightyMartin
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TheMightyMartin »

I'd love to be involved in this. I'd be willing to pay a modest amount towards a kareoke cd or something.
"I love a girl with spirit. It's great fun breaking it!"
37Herbie
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by 37Herbie »

I can sing a line if needed but, as stated, what do you need help with exactly and I may be able to assist in helping!
"Oh Dear, What a Pity, Never Mind"
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I've got a karaoke mp3. Darren sent one to me ages ago.