I'm back - I'm making a Knightmare D&D campaign!

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

I'm back - I'm making a Knightmare D&D campaign!

Post by shadow6162 »

Hey guys, it's been a while :)

I didn't know if the forums were still up, but recently I showed a group that I'm in one of the Dunshelm Players' audio plays, so I thought I'd come back here. It's cool to see you're all still active. As for me, I've been busy. I'm now 22 and currently a few months out from finishing my Masters degree in Creative Writing - just have my dissertation to do and that's me done!

But a side project I've been working on, which I hope to focus on once university is done, is a Knightmare D&D campaign. I've been really into D&D and similar tabletops for about two years now, and I've been toying with the idea of a Knightmare campaign. My plan is to create a one-shot to test the setting out, set in the Knightmare canon (current idea is being sent to rescue January from Lord Fear), and if that works out, then moving on to my own story.

So I was wondering, if I manage to get something out there, would anyone be interested in playing? :)
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Re: I'm back - I'm making a Knightmare D&D campaign!

Post by Mashibinbin »

Being on the Wirral myself it'd be interesting to see what this entails. :)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Welcome back, Amy. As you have a few Knightmare fanfics to your name, it's nice to hear you've been studying creative writing.

When Knightmare Series 1's first dungeoneer confirmed to Treguard that he had experience of dungeoneering, I wonder if he was referring to D&D. I like your idea for a campaign that follows on from a Knightmare quest.

There's a Knightmare fan on Twitter, Jonathon Harris (@jaydrive2000) who is also a D&D fan: he named one of his D&D characters after Hordriss. He may be interested to hear about your campaign.

You could even let the great Michael Cule know: he wrote about RPGs/tabletop gaming for The Quest and co-presents a monthly podcast about it: Improvised Radio Theatre - With Dice!.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Might also be worth getting in contact with Paul Flannery.

As well as being Treguard in Knightmare Live, he has also done his one-man interactive peformance entitled The MMORPG Show.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Oh brilliant, thank you all for the links! And yeah, I've come a long loooooong way from those fics. Been a while since I've written anything related to Knightmare, but hopefully with writing this campaign I can be inspired again :D
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

shadow6162 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 16:50 Hey guys, it's been a while :)

I didn't know if the forums were still up, but recently I showed a group that I'm in one of the Dunshelm Players' audio plays, so I thought I'd come back here. It's cool to see you're all still active. As for me, I've been busy. I'm now 22 and currently a few months out from finishing my Masters degree in Creative Writing - just have my dissertation to do and that's me done!
Welcome back, and enjoy entering the big world when you're done with your Masters (unless you intend to put that off a little longer with a a PhD ...?) :)
shadow6162 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 16:50 But a side project I've been working on, which I hope to focus on once university is done, is a Knightmare D&D campaign. I've been really into D&D and similar tabletops for about two years now, and I've been toying with the idea of a Knightmare campaign. My plan is to create a one-shot to test the setting out, set in the Knightmare canon (current idea is being sent to rescue January from Lord Fear), and if that works out, then moving on to my own story.
Maaaaany years ago (back when I was about 10-12), I tried something similar, but I couldn't really get it to work. The problem I had was the thing that makes D&D what it is, is the combat system. You can of course play D&D with no combat whatsoever. But most of the rules that are in place are combat based and if you remove the combat what you end up with is effectively an interactive story.

But Knightmare doesn't have a combat system. To the extent that combat exists, it's a binary outcome (pass/fail) based on your previous interactions (e.g. items picked up). So no matter how I approached it, I either lost the combat element of D&D or I had to graft combat on to Knightmare making it less Knightmare-esque.

I think the way forward is the latter and doubtless with your creative writing expertise, you could fill in the gaps that I couldn't and maintain the Knightmare theme even with the addition of a complex combat system! :)
shadow6162 wrote: 12 Jun 2020, 16:50 So I was wondering, if I manage to get something out there, would anyone be interested in playing? :)
Sure, I'm happy to give most things a go.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Hey, sorry for going silent again for a while. I ended up getting an extension on my dissertation due to me having to move home, but I managed to finish it, just waiting on the results now :D

As for this campaign, I have ideas buzzing. Need to focus on the test one-shot first, but for the main game, I have new characters planned, I have old characters planned - and a dream I had last night really inspired me to get back into planning more stuff. So if there are any more updates, I'll keep you all informed!