Knightmare Convention: suggestions for a name

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Convention

Post by Mystara »

I intentionally avoided putting any advice in my original request, to try and get some ideas that might not ordinarily arise. However, some things that might be worth keeping in mind:

- Generic names are fine. However, we want to avoid names that suggest the convention relates to something else. For example, we previously eliminated "JusticeCon".

- More obscure references to Knightmare are slightly less desirable than more explicit ones because then the name says what it is. This isn't all that big a deal though.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Chris wrote:Yes, I was just going to suggest spelling it Fayre for those very reasons!
Me too. KnightFayre ticks all the boxes for me, and according to Google, it isn't taken.

Other ideas: Level 4, although it looks like Level 42 with a digit missed off; as a parody of TOWIE, TOWIO (The Only Way Is Onward), which may work better as a subtitle; in tribute to Team 5 of Series 7, BrollyCon.
Annie wrote:Tania has been on the Facebook page today, volunteering to be a special guest at the convention if it happens - I say take her up on the offer!
Special guest? She may be hoping that we'll pay her to attend, rather than her paying us. ;)
Alan wrote:I have to say, within Knightmare, I detest the name "Knightmare Castle". For me, it's so fourth wall breaking.
Knightmare's take on the old saying would seem to be that walls are made to be broken. And the fourth wall in Knightmare is a knowingly flimsy construct that only really exists during gameplay, and even then is not unbreakable, as demonstrated during Akash's quest. After all, Treguard invited the watchers many times to "join us again for Knightmare." Thinking about it, I tend to regard Knightmare as the name that applies to the Dungeon(s), with Dunshelm being the true name of the castle. It's more authentic with a slightly subtler pun. What I didn't realise until playing Knightmare QI in TES is that we have to wait until Quest 9 of Series 3 before we hear Dunshelm mentioned in the programme itself.
Chris wrote:I must admit to always accepting KM Castle as its official name. When I was a child I just assumed the show was named after the location and have never questioned that assumption.
This makes me think of Greek mythology's Underworld being known as Hades because Hades ruled it.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

If you read the first book it was originally Dunshelm castle before being renamed by the evil wizard as a sick joke.

So official it is Dunshelm Castle, but kept the reputation of being Knightmare Castle due to the presence of the Dungeon.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Is this still on the cards then? At one point it was 'January or never' so I was getting worried it had fallen through...
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
stockholmsyndrome
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare Convention: suggestions for a name

Post by stockholmsyndrome »

The Convention of Confusion ;)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Knightmare Convention: suggestions for a name

Post by wombstar »

As it was said the full geek week episode will be saved for a possible convention I was guess it's still on the cards bit not yet.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

HobGoblin wrote:Is this still on the cards then? At one point it was 'January or never' so I was getting worried it had fallen through...
It's made very very little progress.