Knightmare Pointless IV

The Knightmare edition of the BBC gameshow.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Re: Knightmare Pointless IV

Post by Eyeshield »

Amy says Kelly (Series 3) - let's see what that scores her...
pointless2p.jpg
pointless2p.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
Nick says Martin (Series 3) - let's see what that scores him...
pointless1.jpg
pointless1.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 3352 times
I actually can't believe this - Amy has become our Knightmare Pointless runner-up on the third and final head-to-head question for the third time! This indicates to me a cruel mix of excellent overall gameplay and rather bad luck at the most crucial moments. Amy, what can I say? Thanks for playing again and thanks for running-up again - you'll be at the top of the list for any future rounds, I promise!

Of course, we mustn't let this take anything away from the outstanding performance of our new Knightmare Pointless champion - Nick! A superbly played game, a pointless answer along the way, and a well deserved victory, so hearty congratulations to you, Nick!

Later today I will post the jackpot final, where you will have the chance to find another pointless answer and sweeten your victory even further. Whatever happens there, of course, your place in the Knightmare Pointless Champion of Champions game is already assured.

In the meantime, we'd better tidy up the loose ends with the size question. Kelly grew larger when she changed into the Behemoth, of course, and Martin grew smaller when he became a skull ghost. All the low scores for this question are for dungeoneers who changed into creatures or characters, and I was really in two minds about whether to allow these, or to go simply for growing/shrinking but keeping the same shape. I'm still not sure whether I made the right decision about that, but here is the board anyway:

NICKY (SERIES 4) - 4
JULIE (SERIES 7) - 4
DICKON (SERIES 4) - 3
ROSS (SERIES 3) - 3
SOPHIA (SERIES 6) - 3
KELLY (SERIES 3) - 2
CHRIS (SERIES 5) - 1
DANIEL (SERIES 8) - 1
DUNSTAN (SERIES 8) - 1
MARTIN (SERIES 3) - 1
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

To be honest, I don't care that I didn't win. I'm just happy that I'm a runner up (again) ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Damn, that "named creatures" question was a good one. I had a go at it for fun and missed five of them, including both of the ones Nick and Amy gave, and the pointless answer which I really should have got!

Can't believe Amy's lost out in the head-to-head three times in a row - that is seriously rotten luck!! Congrats to Nick though, that was quite a gamble and it paid off.
LexLuthor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LexLuthor »

I truly am in a state of disbelief. That whole head-to-head was tense and had me pacing around the room talking to myself to try to work out answers. Great play, Amy.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

You too Nick. Good luck to you in the jackpot :D
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

ROUND 4 - JACKPOT FINAL

Nick, you are the new Knightmare Pointless champion, and you now have three chances to win the Knightmare Pointless jackpot. As I said before, I don't have any more Knightmare badges, so the prize is an original copy of the first ever issue of The Eye Shield fanzine (which has never really been seen online in its full, original glory!) signed by longtime TES contributor and editor Jake Collins. All you have to do is find a pointless answer to our final question. We gave 6 people 100 seconds to name...

CHARACTERS WHO GAVE OUT ONE SPELL

So that's any character who gave one single spell to a dungeoneer - not two spells, not no spells, but one spell.

Here are some points to bear in mind:
1) Uncast spells count in all totals, so if a character gave out two spells but only one of them was actually cast, that character would not be a correct answer. By the same token, any character who gave out one spell that ended up not being cast would be a correct answer.
2) The spells in question must be normal “Spellcasting” spells, not weird summoning/reveal-hidden spells.
3) That cavernwraith from Series 2 does not count as a character in this game, so it will not be accepted as a correct answer. (And it wouldn't have been pointless anyway, as I am only mentioning it now because one of my answerers made me think of it!)

So Nick, please post three characters who gave out one spell only. If one of them is pointless, you will win the jackpot!
LexLuthor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LexLuthor »

Quite a question. I have to say that the subject of spells is not a particular favourite of mine, so if all these answers are way out, don't be overly surprised. O.K.. Here goes:

My first answer is the Troll from Series 2, who gave that TRUTH spell to Akash.

Second, I would like to go for Julius Scaramonger, who sold CHANGE to Chris is Series 5.

Finally, and least confidently, I am opting for Brother Mace, who gave Ben the SESAME spell in Series 5.

Those are three of four answers; if the fourth turns out to be the pointless one, I shall not be happy. I'll reveal what it was after the result.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Like last time, there are actually seven pointless answers available here, but has Nick been lucky enough to stumble across any of them? His first answer is Troll - let's see if that's any good...
pointless4.jpg
pointless4.jpg (9.34 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
As you said, he gave a TRUTH spell to Akash, but most of our 6 people remembered that. Let's turn to Julius Scaramonger, then. Is he a pointless answer?
pointless1.jpg
pointless1.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 3351 times
Again, you were spot on with the explanation - Julius gave Chris the CHANGE spell that transformed him into a goblin. I must admit that I was expecting a bigger score when I checked on that just now, but it's still one too many - curses! So then, we come to Brother Mace - can he do anything for you?
pointlesswrong.jpg
Sadly, he can't. As well as that SESAME spell he gave to Ben in Series 5, Mace gave a FREEZE spell to Helen during his very first appearance, in the second episode of Series 4. So Nick, you don't win the Knightmare Pointless jackpot, but that doesn't make you any less a champion!

Now, let's see all the correct answers for that question, including the seven pointless ones. Just in case anyone is interested to know, I'm including the spells that each of them gave out.

TROLL (TRUTH) - 4
VELDA (TRANSFORM) - 4
MILDREAD (RUST) - 3
HEGGATTY (BEAUTY) - 2
MALDAME (SAVANT) - 2
FIDJIT (SIGHT) - 1
JULIUS SCARAMONGER (CHANGE) - 1
MELLISANDRE (FLARE) - 1
BROTHER STRANGE (FLOAT) - 0
ELITA (SESAME) - 0
HONESTY BARTRAM (SHADE) - 0
LORD FEAR (FLOAT) - 0
MALICE (HERO) - 0
ROTHBERRY (FLOAT) - 0
SMIRKENORFF (SPEED) - 0

Perhaps the trick there was to think of where Series 8's FLOAT spells came from! I can't help thinking that it's rather a cruel twist of fate that you could have won by putting "Strange" instead of "Mace" after "Brother", or choosing the other giver of the SESAME spell apart from Brother Mace! Still, never mind...

I am well aware that there is one controversial pointless answer there - Smirkenorff really gave out two spells, but our judges were not at all sure that BURST should count as a normal "Spellcasting" spell beause it appeared to work without being spelled out on-screen, so they decided to allow Smirkenorff as a correct answer for this and hang any potential consequences that may have occurred!

Congratulations once again on your win, Nick, and don't forget to join me soon for the Champion of Champions game, where you'll get the chance to battle it out with Ross, Rosey and Annie to become the Ultimate Knightmare Pointless Champion of 2011!

All Knightmare Pointless graphics are created by my boon companion Ross Thompson.
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Wow I didn't think that Lord Fear would count. Hard luck Nick but at least you're through :D
LexLuthor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LexLuthor »

Bah! I hate spell questions. :) Still, never mind. I really enjoyed taking part and am looking forward to the next round. I never would have thought of ANY of the pointless answers, so I feel a bit better for that. For all those who are dying to know, my other answer would have been Bumptious, but that was obviously wrong too - good job I changed him for Julius Scaramonger. Thanks to the host and the other three players for a tense and engaging game.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Let's clear up Bumptious, then. He gave out two spells - SHOVEL to Neil's team (uncast) and FLIGHT to Karen's team (cast).
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Bumptious eh? I remember him giving out SHOVEL but I can't remember him giving FLIGHT. What was that spell for?
Last edited by shadow6162 on 15 Nov 2011, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeshield
Inoperative

Post by Eyeshield »

Watch the final episode of Series 2 if you want to see FLIGHT being awarded and used.
LexLuthor
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by LexLuthor »

Didn't remember the FLIGHT spell was Bumptious's, but I do remember it being used. I hate spells. :p
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Aww, bad luck Nick! I thought you were in with a good chance there.

Lord Fear a pointless answer? Hmmm - I thought about him when I was answering the survey, but surely he gave out SAMURAI (albeit unintentionally) as well? The team didn't have to cast it, but they did have the power to dispell it, rather like Leo's team dispelling all those SWORD spells once they knew it. (I think BURST should have count as well - the spellcasting probably just got lost in the refilming of that scene - but I guess we have no proof.)