Knightmare Convention

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Convention

Post by Mystara »

HobGoblin wrote:Out of interest, do we know how many people have accessed the campaign page? Are people seeing and not contributing or simply not seeing?
4,566 visits as of right now.
So by and large, people are not contributing.
HobGoblin wrote: Hypothetical question - if a rich person came along and gave all the cash, would the convention go ahead with a really small number of attendees?! :)
Yes :)
But then there'd be tickets available for sale after the campaign ended.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Mystara wrote:But as I've already said, that was never an option.
sorry if I'm sounding a bit thick/puzzled but I don't quite understand how that is effected by venue bookings. it's too late now anyway.

pjmlfc05 wrote:At the same time, it did give them more exposure
Plus as Knigthamre fans I thought they would be very interested in seeing something like this survive. If I was in that position id be doing what I can.
HobGoblin wrote:Hypothetical question - if a rich person came along and gave all the cash, would the convention go ahead with a really small number of attendees?!
Are you going to be making a generous offer? ;)
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

wombstar wrote: sorry if I'm sounding a bit thick/puzzled but I don't quite understand how that is effected by venue bookings. it's too late now anyway.
The venue need us to confirm/pay for the venue a certain amount of time in advance of the event. That way, if we cannot get the money together, they have a chance to hire it out to someone else.

Extending the campaign (even if it was possible) wouldn't extend the date by which we'd have to confirm/pay for the venue and we don't get any money until the campaign is finished.

So the campaign can end no later than the date on which we have to confirm/pay for the venue.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Mystara wrote:
wombstar wrote: sorry if I'm sounding a bit thick/puzzled but I don't quite understand how that is effected by venue bookings. it's too late now anyway.
The venue need us to confirm/pay for the venue a certain amount of time in advance of the event. That way, if we cannot get the money together, they have a chance to hire it out to someone else.
Yeah I understand that, I don't mean extending it past the deadline, I mean the exact opposite, getting word out before starting the campaign, for example I see a lot of "coming soon to indiegogo" promos theses days. it's just something I've seen a lot recently, that's all, thought id just bring it up.
pjmlfc05 wrote:There was plenty of people who did like them.
Those who didn't were a minority from what I could tell from online observations, but all that comes with the territory of being a 'celeb' but if they're busy or have no interest in something like this then it's not fair to hassle them. I don't think they 'owe' anyone anything, but as fans id thought they'd be interested.

What about someone like Mark Cordory ? He made some of the Km props I think? His a busy man but might drop mention on his facebook?
Greystagg
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Greystagg »

Mystara wrote:
Daphne wrote: Perks: Even if you have a target market identified it's difficult to get more than a small percentage to support you. So make it easy for people to give you money! I know people can buy more than one pledge for this campaign, but honestly that isn't competely clear to me from the front page. Can that be made really, really obvious?
Good point. Done.
Looks good.

Mystara wrote:
Daphne wrote: Also, are there any more rewards you can offer to people who really want to support the convention without buying a ticket?
I desperately want to do this, but nobody has been able to come up with anything.
I think I've come up with a way to ship the t-shirts and programmes. But I'm not sure people would be willing to spend the necessary £3-£4 for P&P.
That sounds good. Why not offer it anyway and see if people are willing? They definitely won't if the option isn't there.

Mystara wrote:
Daphne wrote: One thing that's very effective is graded perks - persuade people to donate more by having stepped pledges where for £5 more you get the same as the previous perk plus one bonus thing, and so on.
This was done in David Rowe's campaign, and there was endless whinging about how people want one thing in the "package" but not everything. Hence, we went with the "build your own package" approach.
I don't think it's mutually exclusive, the perks could be offered separately or as a package to please all markets. Again, I'm thinking of making it easier for people to give you money. :)

Mystara wrote:
Daphne wrote: How about "15 minute coffee break with (your favouite guest, if they're on board)", only available to advance supporters?
Well, we basically already have that with the backstage pass.
I might be tempted to reconsider the price of that since nobody has yet purchased one.
Wait... the backstage pass is to meet the actual guests of honour? Wow, that really needs pushing more. I thought "come and meet us all backstage" meant the convention planning team! Seriously, if that's what you meant then the backstage ticket now sounds like a really good offer. Please consider changing the words to emphasis the value of what you're offering here!

Mystara wrote:
Daphne wrote: Lastly, are there any companies that would sponsor the event? You may already have thought of this, of course! But a few thousand pounds is a lot for one fan but may not seem all that much to a business in return for some advertising in brochures, etc.
We've tried a few, but in the current climate it is EXTREMELY difficult to find any kind of sponsorship.

By all means, feel free to act on our behalf by offering sponsorship opportunities to anyone you think might be interested. Have them get in touch with us with an offer and we can discuss it.
Agreed, it's easier said than done. I'll have a think. Perhaps some companies local to Norwich would be interested? Afraid I don't have any connections there.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Daphne wrote:
Mystara wrote: I think I've come up with a way to ship the t-shirts and programmes. But I'm not sure people would be willing to spend the necessary £3-£4 for P&P.
That sounds good. Why not offer it anyway and see if people are willing? They definitely won't if the option isn't there.
I shall do at the next IGG update.

Daphne wrote:
Mystara wrote: This was done in David Rowe's campaign, and there was endless whinging about how people want one thing in the "package" but not everything. Hence, we went with the "build your own package" approach.
I don't think it's mutually exclusive, the perks could be offered separately or as a package to please all markets. Again, I'm thinking of making it easier for people to give you money. :)
True. However, I'm much more worried about the prospect of confusion, especially if we're going to start selling perks with shipping.
Daphne wrote:
Mystara wrote: Well, we basically already have that with the backstage pass.
I might be tempted to reconsider the price of that since nobody has yet purchased one.
Wait... the backstage pass is to meet the actual guests of honour? Wow, that really needs pushing more. I thought "come and meet us all backstage" meant the convention planning team! Seriously, if that's what you meant then the backstage ticket now sounds like a really good offer. Please consider changing the words to emphasis the value of what you're offering here!
Yes.

In fairness, the short description says "meet us all" and the FAQ entry says "to chat with us, and our guests". I suppose I can tighten the language on the short description.
stockholmsyndrome
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by stockholmsyndrome »

Goodluck with this people, I will be def be sending some dollarz in support. Friends are getting Married that weekend plus for me never go back/meet your heros etc, so won't be there but hope it happens and look forward to seeing how it went.

In the worst case scenario and you don't raise the needed amount, could you not find a no thrills venue? Anywhere with enough capacity, the right presentation and not least the creators and cast would still be enough of a pull for many. U might loose the chance to 'play a room', but could still have a great event elsewhere? a plan b. Anyways all the best.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Potentially, but as you'll see from the piechart we provided on the convention fundraising page, the guests are costing nearly half of the 12k. Once you add a reasonable venue in (keeping in mind that your venue dictates how many tickets you can sell), you're already a good way to your 12k.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

And already past 2k! My talk of psychological barriers was obviously borne out of hope but perhaps the floodgates really have opened!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Greystagg
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Greystagg »

It's a great boost! :D We still need about 1000/day for the rest of the campaign though. I hope we can make it work.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Indeed. Thanks to a very generous contributor who has chosen to remain anonymous, we're a good way further ahead of where we were :)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

dugeoneerborne wrote: Mystara, ok, I mentioned that on facebook via pm, but it's still just 10 and 15 when I look back at the people who've contributed, again sorry for the confusion and I hope it can be sorted out, otherwise I'm up the creek without a paddle.
That's right. There's no way for us to change what your donations actually were. Otherwise it would be possible for us to act in a fraudulent manner.

At the end of the campaign, we'll simply add up what you donated and you can choose what perk you get (as long as the perk is equal to or less than the amount you donated).

Hence, people can also "upgrade" if they want to, as well.
dugeoneerborne wrote: I know charlie brooker did a few seconds on knightmare when talking about the advent of how technology changed in the 80s with computers, is hs worth trying?.
Already did.
dugeoneerborne wrote: There's been nothing in regards of the convention news from itv, bbc news, guardian and the daily mail yet & I'm scratching My head and want to know why.
They may be awaiting our PR. They may also simply be watching to see if we get enough activity to be "worthy". Hence why it's important to continually share and spread the word every single day to everyone, everywhere.
dugeoneerborne wrote: I can make printouts of this conention if you guys want and bring it up Norwich next week when I get paid and should be a lot better as I'm 40 minutes from Norwich if that and the forum in Norwich is where look east news is, if that will help? and there's bound to be some adventure game stores in Norwich as well who might advertise for us possibly.
Go for it.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

dugeoneerborne wrote:Aren't there a few radio stations in Norwich as well, if there's any on My route I'll see if I can hand one or two of these in there as well.
You drop in the 'Film and television shop' near the forum, (the old bbc shop)
Knightmare being a tv thing, and a local production they might be cooperative.

Or the Norwich puppet theatre, they're quite supportive of local events, but that's a long shot.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Alan wrote:Thanks to a very generous contributor who has chosen to remain anonymous, we're a good way further ahead of where we were :)
It's an overwhelming vote of confidence. At the same time, every contribution of any size takes the Funders list up by one and forms part of a possible snowball effect. (As opposed to a Snowball & Napoleon effect, which is where one piggy bank is used to break open another piggy bank. Does raise funds but lots of farm animals get upset.)

Does the forum software still have an 'email all members' function? If so, it might be worth using it. I'm concerned about some of our old stalwarts emerging from the woodwork in weeks and months to come, asking, "Why didn't I know about this?"
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Yes, we actually ended up getting quite a good number of contributions yesterday.
However, we're still a good way away from our goal.

It does go to show that all the advertising and promotion that we're being doing has been worthwhile. All it takes is a few big donators and we'll be done.

As for the "email all" possibility - yes, I think the forum has this. However, I'm very very cautious about using it because it's extremely easy to be classed as a spammer for doing this kind of thing.