1-4 or 5-8

Specific series and episode discussion only! Please find the right thread.
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: 1-4 or 5-8

Post by KaM »

Ermm. Hello all!  ;)
Well, have to contest slightly, sir. I would hardly call the computer graphics for the earlier series 'crap'. I know you used that in a positive argument, but still - I think David Rowe's flair has always been fantastic where Knightmare was concerned, and his room creation artwork brilliant. Ok, it looks less advanced now than it did at the time, but for me, it still looks the part - the more vivid colours and slightly flatter looking and less dimensional images give me that more medieval and magical feel than the later years, which became more diemnsional - where the likes of 'Goth' and Levels '3a and 3b' of Series 8 ;) give a much more sinister and macabre feel, which is what was created by the ever increasing intensity of the opposition and the challenges.

Other arguments would look at the technology available at the time, and also the budgeting towards a show with two years of building success rather than, for instance, series 7, when the show was a proven success and had the assurance of several great years behind it.

Yet I will agree that the earlier graphics 'made' Knightmare - the medieval look was classic, and complemented the gameplay to the highest possible extent. KaM
Last edited by KaM on 22 Aug 2003, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Galgarach
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Galgarach »

Well i was a bit harsh on the graphics, they were alright for that era.
Fail three times and I feed on you!
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

One thing that I loved about the earlier series: Mildread and the Medusa.
No one was safe, not the advisors not even Treaguard! It would have been great if everyone was in danger in the later series!!!! :D
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I wonder if the Medusa could be classified as a Wall Monster.
Subject to change.
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Hmmmm... She was on the wall in Knightmare, but in the mythlogy she was a lady, completely off the wall
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

True, but then again it was referred to as 'a Medusa' rather than 'the Medusa'.
Subject to change.
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Thats true enough....so there are more Medusas. Scary
Galgarach
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Galgarach »

Well whatever it was that team certainly hit
'rock-bottom' Sorry, I just had to include those wily james bond style wise cracks
OMG my parents are actually watching fame academy *dies*
Galgarach
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Galgarach »

They certainly arent going to the nice oap home down the road  ;)
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Hehe! Well, I'm still on holiday so I'm not being subjected to it. ;D
Subject to change.
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

Hey all.  Thanks for the contributions to the thread, much appreciated and enjoyed.

Well the score now is 5-3 in favour of the earlier series, and one person undecided.  I think I'll call that a result unless somone votes in the next 24 hrs.
Suicidal_Steve
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Suicidal_Steve »

i would go for the 5-8 series simply because of lord fear plus the tence music and the heartbeating made it even more suspenceful for example on series 6 team 4's death jeez that music and the heartbeat made it a classic death also that skull made a welcome return  :'(
Do i Type Somthing In Here Or What?
Moocowthingy
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Moocowthingy »

So its now 5-4 and one undecided in favour of the earlier series.  Voting extended.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

The people who actually read my blabbering on this forum will probably expect me to say 1-4. Most of my tongue lashings are usually saved for the later series, and I've never found much wrong with Series 3.

But I'm really not very sure (and am hoping by the end of this post I make up my mind). In some ways, I'd like to not answer the question or daintily sidestep to my left around it. I wouldn't really put want to put Series 4 in with the first three, since it seemed to mark something of a transition. Also, Series 8 doesn't completely fit with the three before it in style.

There are definitely things I don't like about the later series. A lot of it is too linear, too based on success on certain obstacles, too obvious, too defined with respect to good v. evil, for my liking. I think a lot of the mystery of the early series was gone. I rather like the fact that we didn't know what Mogdred's motives were, whereas with Lord Fear things became a little obvious and predictable (admittedly, especially when you're no longer watching it as a 13 year old). I also thought some of the storylines in the later series were a bit lazy, although I suppose one could say "at least there were storylines". It became far too easy to get to Level 3, in my humble opinion. Hmmm, this getting rather long already, so I'll keep my other criticisms of the later series short. Eye shield. Reach wand. Ridolfo. Lack of good wall monsters. Brother Strange. Ridolfo. Too many spyglasses. Ridolfo.    

Having said all that, the early series weren't perfect, and the later series has much to commend them. The graphics were better, I much preferred the later titles and theme music, and the backing music during some of the tenser moments was fantastic. Most of the puzzles themselves in the later series were gorgeous. A lot of people mention the sentimental value of the early series, but for me most of any sentimentality is centred on the latter ones, since those are the ones I firmly remember watching the first time around. I think the later series had the best complete set of characters too, especially on the Opposition side. I do think that the humour was occasionally pushed too far, but I still enjoy watching Sly and Lissard a great deal.

As I mentioned before, despite having some fantastic elements and setting up the programme in all its glory, the early series had some aspects I didn't like. Some are specific to specific series, and some of my criticisms of the later series hit Series 4 too. Hmm, enable criticism short mode again. Often slow paced. Sometimes more of a story would be nice. Supermad Treguard. Velda. Merlin taking about two minutes to cast a spell. Velda. Oh, throw in Velda and her overacting again for good measure.  

I suppose we could go on forever on this type of topic. I haven't even mentioned either of the characters who make up my username here, for example. Although it's a tough decision, I'll go for 5-8 since I like doing what people don't expect. :D
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
elloello
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by elloello »

5-8 because I preferred the out doors, I know it was not as much scary and as mystical as 1-4 but I prefer seeing them in an outdoor market than a kitchen