Let Battle... COMMENCE!

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Let Battle... COMMENCE!

Post by Lowebo »

Grimaldine Grimwold:
If you don't value your life, you could do the Majida vs. Pickle thing- just be careful not to get caught in the crossfire.

Well, let's go!!!!

Pickle, the elfish, kind, thoughtful helpful one?
Majida, the bossy, semi-helpful, insulting one?
or for those who will argue it... none!!

For me it has to be Pickle. Treguard without assistant just seems wrong, especially with Pickle in S6 - he just wanted to help so much and as a double act were awesome! Treguard also became friendlier with Pickle - Scary Treguard just seemed wrong - perhaps the only criticism i have is that he gave too many hints!!

Come on people, lets roll!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Lord_Bob

Re: Let Battle... COMMENCE!

Post by Lord_Bob »

lol is this like a no contest version, as much as I liked Treguard without assistant then Pickle was really funny, especiallly his extra role in the quest in S4! Especially the parts where Treguard was a little friendlier to him. To be honest eeeess too eeeeasssy for Pickle to win this   ;D
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Lol yeah the character of Majida WAS amusing at times but the sarcasm and messing around got annoying and repetitive after a while and I just wanted to slap her with a wet fish.
Pickle was a good character: amusing, helpful, unhelpful at times, sulky, enthusiastic, good role-play, but that also got a bit repetitive too. It's difficult.

I think assistants are always fun so long as they don't take up too much of the quest time with banter.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Current Scores:
Pickle 2/3
Majida 0
None 1/0 13 views, 2 replies??? Come on people!!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, I think I like having no assistant but my judgement may be distorted because that was during series 1-3 - and I like those series best.
Subject to change.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Has anyone ever heard the expression 'jumping the shark'? It refers to a scene in the show Happy Days where The Fonz made a jet ski jump over a shark. This was seen as a supremely ridiculous plot line, and for many, represented 'the beginning of the end' for Happy Days. Hence, 'jumping the shark' now refers to the moment from which a TV programme may seem to go downhill.

For more on this, you can't do better than browsing http://www.jumptheshark.com.

My point is, I feel on some level that when Majida arrived on Knightmare, the series 'jumped the shark'. It didn't get 'bad', it just got worse. I found Majida badly-acted and unamusing, removing a lot of the 'magic' from the Knightmare formula. I stopped videoing episodes to keep, and my memories of the later Series of Knightmare have basically faded as a consequence. The lyrics I contributed to Emii's 'Knightmare Karaoke' thread, 'Genie From A Bottle', go some way towards summing up my feelings.

But, of course, this is just my opinion.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Shame there wasn't a s9 for Majida to prove herself...remember it took 3 series for a good Treguard to apear and another 3 for a very good Pickle to appear...

That said, I'm really beginning to like Pickle, so that's another vote for the odd-eyebrowed fella.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Pickle.

Not looking good for Majida, is it?  ;D
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Majida

Never to fond of men in elf costumes lol
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Well, I'll make this short. and sweet

Pickle = Twat.

I rest my case.
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I have changed my mind on this in the past, so there's no guarantee I won't do so again. This is my opinion, my interpretation. Like others, I think I kinda prefer Treguard without assistants, but I'm not going to sit on the fence.

Pickle was okayish, but he was also sometimes really meek and dull. Since he was often sitting on the sidelines, it was sometimes Treguard, the Referee of the Greater Game of Luck and Glory, who had to be enthusiastic when Teams won and he who was angry about the score. I like Treguard as a neutral, but one who's obviously somewhat sympathetic to Teams. A well crafted Majida, especially if given a chance to impress and evolve in a full Series 8 and new Series 9, was better placed to allow Treguard to fulfil that role, since she's more forthright in wanting the teams to do well. Her lines are sometimes repetitive, but frankly I think Pickle's were equally if not more so. JS seems really into the role, she's really going for it, whereas DL, perhaps because of Pickle's lack of conviction one way or another in whether he wants teams to win, seems a bit reserved, less into it. DL fluffs lines and it's obvious, whereas when JS fluffs lines it looks more like it's the character herself who's fluffing her speech because she's so worked up. To be honest, I found the Treguard-Pickle interplay boring, whereas a lot of the Treguard-Majida interplay was fresh and funny, although like all things, it could get boring if the scripts weren't written sufficiently differently. Majida was anxious to see the next episode just like I was. Majida was frustrated when teams threw it away just like I was. Majida wanted to kick Lord Fear's backside just like I did. Perhaps more than anything, Majida was genuinely excited and exultant when a team won. Watch Pickle when the team in Series 5 wins- he hardly seems to convey the tension beforehand, and when the shield is brought in it's hardly like it's the great event we all know it to be, and it's Treguard who has to do all the wow factor. Now watch Julie's Team win in Series 7. Majida is genuinely anxious that Julie won't be able to make it back to Knightmare Castle in time, and when Julie appears Majida is screaming and jumping on the table with excitement. Majida's reaction is so much more akin to mine, complete with the knice reprise of the theme music. I guess in some ways it's what atmosphere you prefer, but that's my opinion, anyway.  
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 22 Nov 2003, 05:18, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

Well, that's evened things up a bit, hasn't it?

I like the two above posts...one gives a thorough thought-provoking analysis, the other...a sincere soundbite.  ;D
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

well it's nice to know that someone has won. The win in season 5 didn't seem like a win.  it was all very slow.

And thank god they changed the shiled. that season 5 version was terrible. not very 'quest' looking
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Well, that's evened things up a bit, hasn't it?

I like the two above posts...one gives a thorough thought-provoking analysis, the other...a sincere soundbite.  ;D
Why thank you, I'm flattered! That's the most sincere I've been all week.

And I also agree that the later shield was a vast improvement on the S5 one. I could swear that I've seen the S5 shield hanging on random walls throughout the dungeon. (usually in Eye Shield sequences)
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Hehe. After reading Elita's comment and already on my third paragraph (I edited it a bit in the end) I did say to her that while saying much the same thing, our posts were likely to be pretty different!
well it's nice to know that someone has won. The win in season 5 didn't seem like a win.  it was all very slow.
You're right. Somehow it didn't seem too much like a win. While everyone knows I didn't think much of this victory, they still did win, so it'd have been nice to see a little more excitement. It was all a bit low-key, with no Merlin like S4 or Hordriss later on. Pickle added nothing. Considering in S5 they spent so long on non-game elements like boring episode introductions, Smirkenorff flights and Eye Shield sequences, you'd think they might have made a little more of this.
I could swear that I've seen the S5 shield hanging on random walls throughout the dungeon. (usually in Eye Shield sequences)
Yes, it is. There are at least two hanging around the dungeon in S5, but one is the Quest Shield. Treguard should really take more care of it once a team has gone to all that trouble to collect it! I bet it was the Quest Sword in the stone in the Blocker room this season as well. ;)
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 23 Nov 2003, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]