Re:Here's a mad idea...

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SkipTheDreadnort »

Ah yes, I have come across these after all. Pretty impressive stuff, just synchronizing the HTML frames must have been a nightmare, let alone actually writing the thing and rendering the graphics.

No, my adventure will be nothing like that in terms of presentation or gameplay. My adventure is going to be a real-time adventure game in which you physically control/issue directions to the Dungeoneer on-screen in order to traverse the various hazards and traps in the game. So whereas the Corridor Of Blades in the aforementioned adventures had you dead if you hadn't the correct items, in my game you will have to make the dungeoneer leap, sidestep and duck around as the blades come whizzing towards him. Of course, if you're not quick enough, or if you need a SPEED spell or suchlike, you'll be cut in half - and you'll see it happeining too!

So whereas the current turn-based adventures are like an enhanced version of the books, my game will (when it's finished) be more like participating in the TV show.

At least, that's the idea.

Skip
Knightmare: The Deeper Dungeons (working title) - Coming Soon
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

Hey that Bomb animation is Cool.

Or to put it another way "LOVELY."

"Pity there wasn't a dungeoneer standing near by at the time. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE........VERY LOVELY."
It's The Irons For You. LOVELY
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Cheers Skarky, me old matey.

If it's gore you're after, you'll like my next trick, which should be up around this time next week - it'll be a Corridor Of Blades animation. And just for you, I reckon I could throw in a Helmethead getting his noggin lopped off, just for effect - ahahHAHAHA!

Or, as you would put it..... "LAAAVLEY."

Skip
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Nice looking so far skip! getting quite excited at this now! Bootiful.
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

It is looking quite good, and I'm looking forward to the corridor of blades.

Try not to make it too messy, though. Some of us are squeamish!

(Well, not me, I'm fine with seeing blood spurt around, but I'm terrified of needles. That's why FrightKnight wears a suit of armour. ;D)

PS. More than 400 posts? Good heavens...
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

I thought i'd register my interests in this project Skip, it's a wonderful idea and if you do make level editors and such I see no reason the rest of the community couldn't be involved with a new forum for levels and such. I'd like to offer more help but I think that my support will hopefully do :)
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Thanks for all your comments folks, it's great to see people taking an interest.

As regards the actual playing of the game, I'm trying to decide what viewpoint to use. The most obvious idea would be to use the same viewpoint as the show - with the camera at the back of the room, behind the dungeoneer and slightly elevated, with the room disappearing into the distance. However, I'm not sure wether this would work in practical terms. Coding a routine to scale all the objects and make them appear smaller the further away they get would perhaps slow the game down too much. And even if I get it working in the game proper, the chances of coming up with a level editor to create levels in this viewpoint is slim to none.

The other option is to use an isometric viewpoint, with the camera stuck in the top-right corner of a room looking down on the action. This would be a hell of a lot easier to work with, and would be a doddle to write a level editor for.

I'll stick up a rough draft of both viewpoints to give you an idea of what I mean, probably in the next week or so.

The level editor, which may exist separately from the main game, will incorporate a tile system. You'll start off with a flat grid. Then you'll choose a tile set (dungeon, forest, castle, cave, antechamber, etc) and use these tiles to build the walls, pits and bridges in that room. Then you can put in furniture (torches, tables, chairs, pictures, etc), clue objects, characters and hazards (fire, spears, monsters etc). Then you will be able to string these rooms together, add character dialog options, script special events, set triggers, and so on.

If it actually does all that, I'll be amazed, but there you go.

As I said, I might code this editor/player as a stand-alone project that can be utilized by everyone. The main game I am working on at the moment my not bear any resemblence to it at all.

My head hurts.

Skip
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

Well Skip,

I wish you every luck in this endeavour and look fwd to the finished product.

As for the viewpoint, I don't think any of us would mind if it is displayed in an isometric format. One of my favourite games of all time, Syndicate, was isometric and look at the hours of fun that could be had with that.

Really, whatever is easiest for you to do. You're not getting paid for this and are doing it out of a love of all things KM. We greatly respect you for that.

Anything any of us can do to help? I'm sure we'd all be willing to lend a hand.

Keep up the good work

Right, I'm off to fry wasps.
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Semtex Jack wrote: One of my favourite games of all time, Syndicate, was isometric and look at the hours of fun that could be had with that.
SYNDICATE!!! And is there anything better than Syndicate? Yes, and it's called Syndicate Wars! Oh, the many happy evenings I spent reducing cities to rubble in that fine game... oh the masses of persuadatroned bystanders that were herded into razor-wire. I love the smell of high explosive in the morning, smells like... collateral damage.

Okay, no more late-night coffee for me.

"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
- Dr. Nightmare, Attorney at Law
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

I wasn't as keen on Syndicate Wars as I was on Syndicate.

Don't know why. I just preferred the original. Graphically it appealed to me more and no game has ever topped the feeling of elation after beating the Atlantic Accelerator mission.

Shame there was never an online version of the game. Maybe using a similar idea to Red Alert 2 with it's World Domination idea.

Wonder if they'll ever make another Syndicate game.

Right, I'm off to form a team of cyborgs and take over the world.
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

Semtex Jack wrote: I wasn't as keen on Syndicate Wars as I was on Syndicate.
Can you destroy every last thing on the map in the original Syndicate? I think not! Though after you'd destroyed most of the light sources, it was bloody hard to see where you were going...
"Gentlemen! Please! You can fight like itsy bitsy babies later. Right now we have adult name-calling and mud-slinging to attend to."
SkipTheDreadnort
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Impressive indeed kids, I hadn't figured in the concept of Knightmare fans harbouring otaku-like obsessions with cyberpunk games of yesteryear. But if we're talking isometric, you have to start at the beginning, with the likes of Head Over Heels and The Great Escape on the old Commy 64, and the absolutely ancient Crystal Castles on the Atari 2600. I think I just out-geeked every last one of you.

Isometric viewpoint it is then - which is handy, 'cos I knocked up a damn nifty Causeway the other night in an isometric style. It isn't playable, but looks pretty damn cool, with the blocks dropping off in sequence in time with a (as-yet-unseen) Frightknight. I'll pop it up here during the week.

Right, I'm off to play Fiendish Freddy's Big Top O-Fun. Mwahahaha!

Skip
Elita
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Elita »

SkipTheDreadnought wrote: But if we're talking isometric, you have to start at the beginning, with the likes of Head Over Heels and The Great Escape on the old Commy 64, and the absolutely ancient Crystal Castles on the Atari 2600. I think I just out-geeked every last one of you.
Oh really now? Well, unless you still OWN a C64 and still play it, (and trawl Ebay for more games) then you can think again.

Oh, and 'otaku' is actually an offensive term in Japanese. Contrary to popular belief, it does NOT mean "animé fan", it actually means "total loser with no life". As true as that may be in this application, I thought I'd point it out.

And I'm off to play Kung-Fu on my NES...
HeathclifftheBard
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by HeathclifftheBard »

Well, I can either sing Head Over Heels, Kung Fu Fighting, or Ernie the Fastest Milkman in the West here. But, my throat's sore from serenading so I will give it a rest just this once! It shall be a rare occurence!
Never played Head Over Heels myself, but I did play Monster Max at one stage, which is based on the exact same level structure and formula, dum-dee-dum-dee-dum. 8)
Hee hee hee!! Copernicus!!
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

I think most now know about my fun with an Amiga (uhh- someone care to edit that so it isn't a double entendre?)...Sesible world of Soccer? Replacing Barcelona's players' names with that of the Powers that Be? Changing Manchester United's to that of the Opposition? Yes, please!

GAME ON! ;D
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"