Series 8 - Episode 7

TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Re:Series 8 Ep 7 *No Spoilers please this time!!!*

Post by TheBrollachan »

I would have liked it if they had exited via the door only to find themselves in a bomb room (series 1-3) with no exit.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I think a harsher Treguard works better, basic rules should be in the player's minds, really. As long as the harsh-ness is consistent...
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

If a team has one or two objects when they go to the next level, the objects get discarded as they can't take them into the next level. Or does that only apply for earlier series'?
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

[Message split from 'Series 8 Ep 8 *No Spoilers please this time!!!*']

Post by knightmaredave »

i would like to know why mikes team didnt get any float spell wonder why thats why they went for the door and got fire balled??
knightmaredave
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: What did team 4 in series 8 do wrong?

Post by knightmaredave »

I think it might have been the suspence of the troll that made them panic(ok they weren't the brigtest bunch!) so they wen through the door and BONG wghich for me was quitye a shock to be fried! But if thry had maybe stood on the trap door and pointed the reach wand hmm it might have worked, ok it would have ben a nasty fall but whenn is landing in level 3 a pleasant experience???
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: What did team 4 in series 8 do wrong?

Post by Pooka »

Wasn't there one other team in series 8 who didn't use any sort of floatation and still managed to make a safe descent through levels?

Team 3 used a RISKY potion to open the trapdoor but that seemed to only open the door and not actually aid them in floating. Hordriss didn't mention anything about floating to them in the descent from 2 to 3 either... he just opened the door for them. So Treguard's comment ("FLOAT spell or no FLOAT spell...") is perfectly justified as a previous team has demonstrated you don't need one to take a nasty, but not fatal, fall.

I think the Stinkwort was a red herring and that the Brain Pills were meant for Sidriss, but that by giving her the answers the team nullified this anyway - giving her the Brain Pills would have gotten her past Snapper-Jack but they did that another way. Either way, they helped Sidriss and she gave them what they needed; I don't think she would have given them anything else in particular.

What's sad about this quest is the fact that they'd finished Level 2 and their only mistake wasn't going into Level 3. They'd cleared all the challenges, so what was stopping Treguard making his comment before they died - "FLOAT spell or no FLOAT spell, there's only one way to Level 3, so why don't you take it?" Interesting.

I do like the death though. It may not be particularly fair, but they were killed off by making a mistake, and this was a real, deadly booby trap - not something Knightmare often has to offer.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 8 - Episode 7

Post by Canadanne »

Tom41 wrote:Classic lines today:
"Is that K-N..." "Ooh! Don't do it now!"
What's funnier is the way she adds "You don't want *us* to be... bound!" and totally cracks up. ;D

So, erm, when Treguard says "I can never tell what girls are going to do next!" and Majida replies "You can say that again, Mr Treguard!" with raised eyebrow, what are we supposed to infer happens next?! (I bet he's not expecting her to spellcast KNOT...)
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Picking up the specific discussion of this quest in the broader 'Losing status v cause of demise' thread:

Pooka wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 15:35
Drassil wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:01 The third, Quest 4, has an element of uncertainty. The origin of the team's losing status could have been not picking up the Brain Pills, even if we can't say exactly how picking them up would have ultimately led to them being able to open the trapdoor to Level 3 and avoiding a fireball.

If I remember correctly, the spyglass scene and the Snapper-Jack encounter (and, to some extent, the scroll) quite clearly suggested the team needed to take the Brain Pills and give them to Sidriss

The scroll most likely referred to the Brain Pills ('Dangerous to those who are not dim'); Lord Fear in the spylgass scene identified Sidriss as stupid; Snapper-Jack was obviously testing Sidriss' foolishness. Watchers can join these dots but it doesn't give us what I'd consider a clear picture.

Pooka wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 15:35 the team needed to take the Brain Pills and give them to Sidriss - presumably to survive getting tested by Snapper-Jack (who, as a fool-taker, would have been quite right in taking Sidriss had he been able to fool her).

I think the team answering on Sidriss' behalf was always intended: a deliberate variation on the familiar riddling encounters, like Ben (Series 5 Team 4) competing against imposter dungeoneer Sylvester Hands, or Sophia (Series 6 Team 6) competing against Hordriss' other exam candidates. I'm not convinced Snapper-Jack would have stood by while someone accepted and took performance-enhancing drugs in his view: that would have made him the fool. He'd made it clear that Mike should keep his distance.

(Had Jack taken Sidriss away, I wonder how he'd have protected himself against reprisal from Hordriss.)

Pooka wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 15:35 The team were able to give her the answers

The team gave Sidriss only one answer before Jack passed her on "two", suggesting that she was able to get one right on her own or that the scene was shortened.

Perhaps, if the team were in possession of the Brain Pills, Sidriss would have asked about them during the post-Jack boat ride, or dropped a hint that the team should offer them to her. As it was, she said nothing specifically about the Brain Pills and nor did any other character (even if Treguard came close by telling Majida at the end of the previous episode that "I'm not sure they can do anything with" the stinkwort).

Level 2 of this quest had bigger problems though, namely that at one point, as Harvey Towers mentioned earlier in this thread, the team are apparently holding more than two objects: stinkwort, bat and plainberries.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Michael learned the binding spell ("KNOT") that they needed from Sidriss-the-confused.
Entered the moving-floor puzzle. They had clearly seen this room from S7 as one of the advisors groaned and there was a comment about: "Like that kid did." They were pursued by Snapper-Jack and panicked, making a mess of their directions. They obviously didn't realise that even if he caught them, he couldn't nap them without challenging them....
Confronted by him anyway in the next room. I thought he was gonna take Michael here and was actually surprised when they passed.
Cast their spell to create the "FILLET" spell they required.
Took too long to escape thru the rune-lock door and could have been pounded by the troll. 8-o
Used their "FILLET" spell to destroy the skeletron, but then couldn't decide whether to exit via the trap-door or the far door. Treguard refused to offer advice. Guessed the far door (wrongly) and were toasted by a fireball. Oooh naaasty! 8-o

Team 5 went straight to the level 1 clue-room. Learned that Sly Hands was impersonating Brother Strange to trap Becca. Made a sensible choice of horn and firestone.
Immediately encountered Brother Strange and were suspicious. Traded a proverb for a combo. :-/
Reached Smirky and traded the firestone for a "SPEED" spell.
Use the spell to cross fireball alley. They could have easily done this anyway with reasonable timing. Given a fright by goblins tho. :D
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
TheNecromancer

Post by TheNecromancer »

Greetings one and all.

I loved Knightmare back in the day and still love it now. I just wish they'd release the DVD.

Coming onto this episode, I often wondered what the correct answer was to Snapper-Jack's third riddle was. Thinking on, could the answer be Pluto, as he was an underworld god (I think anyway). :)
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

You're right! According to google, Pluto was the roman god of the underworld. So it fits the quesion of "Name the god 'down there' beginning with P."

Well done! I had never been able to get that before.