KNIGHTMARE Unfairness

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.

Was KM unfair?

es (definitely unfair)
30%
ot sure
13%
o (totally fair)
57%

Total votes: 23

Superspurs

KNIGHTMARE Unfairness

Post by Superspurs »

When you watch KM closely you'll notice without doubt that some teams had much harder quests than other teams. I think that at least half of the 8 winning teams would not have won if they had of been given harder quests. For example :
Team 1 - Never had to face a level 3 clueroom or Medusa when they triumphed in series 2.
Ben's team- They never had to answer any riddles like the subsequent team did in L3. Also they never faced a clueroom in L3 when they won (series 6).
Barry's team- Were killed twice. In a fireball room and in the COB but they were let off the hook (series 7).
Dunstans team- This one is rather obvious (series 8).
Mind you I supposed that the producers had to slightly manipulate quests to make sure that there was NICELY-ROUNDED average of 1 winning team per season.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:KNIGHTMARE Unfairness

Post by Fidjit »

Barry of Series 7, his quest was fixed... In my point of view it all depends on when the next team arrive. When they get there they kill the current team off and then the next one comes on, not quite sure but maybe Kieran and HStorm know...
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

On one occasion they allowed a team who made a fatal mistake to play on because the next team failed to arrive in time, but that's the closest they ever came to it.

Yes, some quests were harder than others, but not quite for the reasons you cite, Superspurs. I'd say that the fundamental changes that set in season after season caused much of the changes in difficulty, although I doubt they were ever intentional. And if every adventure was identical, the series would have been very boring to watch.

Mark's team in season 2 didn't have to face the medusa, true. But on the other hand Julian did, and he survived, so it shows that it was entirely possible to achieve. So in the end, we have to accept that team 3 simply picked up the wrong object, and that if they'd taken the right one they'd have survived. That's the way it works.

I'm not sure that missing out a clue room is much of an advantage by the way. Having to go a whole level without any clue objects is quite a task.
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Jun 2004, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Generally the quests had to be mixed about a bit, due to worries of the quests being static (which is what S4 was, at large in terms of quest variety).

Most teams will have to face at least 1 major killer during their quest, certainly true for the earlier seasons Of course the level of difficulty will never been identical for one team to the next.

So I don't think it is down to fairness, as such, maybe luck of the draw? If each quest was standardised then things would have gotten rather boring, rather quickly.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Superspurs

Post by Superspurs »

Kieran and Hstorm who r you and how comes you both so much about Knightmare. were you both involved in the production of KM or did you know someone who was involved in the production of the show.
Also Hstorm you mentioned something interesting about a team that were allowed to stay on because the subsequent team hadn't arrived.
1) Hstorm- which team were they?
2)How did they die and how did the production team cover up their death.
3)Anyother interesting behind the scenes info.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

For behind the scenes info you are better off looking at some of the interviews on the main website.

I had nothing to do with the making of KM, yet ave had useful contacts over the years which have certainly helped me gain a good understanding of the minor details and backstage goings on.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

You can get all this info from the FANSFAQ on Illusion's site, but here are answers in brief...

1) Team 1 from season 3. One of the members of the team signed the guestbook a few years back and admitted that they were given a second go.

2) They fell off the snake's tongue bridge in the serpent's lair. The next team hadn't arrived so they were allowed to refilm the bit when the dungeoneer walked across the bridge.

3) There's untold heaps of behind-the-scenes info. I wouldn't know where to start or what to leave out I'm afraid. Like I say, check out the FANSFAQ.
Superspurs

Post by Superspurs »

Thanks HSTORM you a legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Er, thanks. Wouldn't go that far, but thanks.
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

There was also the team, whos quest was killed off because one team member wanted to go home.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

I doubt that team remained friends after being on the show (I could be wrong though).
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
FrightKnight
Knight
Knight

Post by FrightKnight »

In that situation, if I was one of the advisors...

Depending upon which mood I was in, I'd either be compassionate and explain the circumstances to TC and ask if there was a way of cutting the quest short, or I'd tell the kid to 'shut up or I'll kick you in the stomach'.
"A rotting pie! Oh no, I'm dead!"
Superspurs

Post by Superspurs »

That was an interesting story.
Mona lisa (or anyone else who knows about the incident) could you provide me with any more details.
Which team and which series were they in.
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

Back to the plot...

I don't think you can say that Knightmare was unfair just because certain teams didn't face certain obstacles. If every team went through every room that it was get boring quickly. The balance of difficultly evens up over the levels - no teams got it easy and no quests were too hard. Sure - some mistakes are forgiven while others are not but you usually find tat this is uniform by series.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
LordF
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by LordF »

Barry took a potion called Fire Proof when he was in the Fireball room, that explains why he didn't die in that one.

But he did go over the edge abit on the moving block room.
LordF's DA Account
LordF's LiveJournal
Also known as Lord Fear