FLASH game...

Knightmare inspired creations from the community.
onissarle
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

FLASH game...

Post by onissarle »

Well here's a little teaser trailer for the Knightmare FLASH game I'm working on.  There's some jerking in the intro, I know.  I'll fix that after I finish the encounter with Sylvester Hands I'm working on, so it'll be sorted by the time I put the level 1 beta out, which should be ready by the end of the month.  I'll touch up some of a graphics too.  The final version will also include background music and as many suitable voice clips as I can scrape together.

http://www.onissarle.com/knightmare.htm
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: FLASH game...

Post by DavidNewton »

I downloaded the file, but the SWF won't open - I just get a blank white window.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
CedricTheMadMonk
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by CedricTheMadMonk »

Same here - wouldn't it be better to publish the file on your webpage then we wouldn't need to download it either.

Good idea though - was thinking of doing something similar myself at one point.
Spoo
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Spoo »

Maybe you haven't got the Flash 6 player. It worked fine for me.

Anyway... it doesn't look too bad. I'm just wondering how the game mechanics will work. If it's just going to be clicking on images then I'll be a bit disappointed.

I considered writing a flash game myself towards the start of this month, but I've just been too busy with exams and work.

I get paid to do stuff in FLASH (aaahhhh!) so there!  ;D
Truth! Justice! Freedom! And a Hard-boiled Egg!
onissarle
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by onissarle »

I completely scrapped the intro and made a new one with a much more Knightmare feel to it.  I fixed the jerking poroblem and included the first room of level one so you can see a simple example of how talking to people will work.  Keep in mind that it's the first room of level one and Sylvester Hands is an idiot so it's supposed to be easy.  There are four possible outcomes for the conversation based on what you say.

Download it here...  http://www.onissarle.com/ksct.zip

I'm going to replace the backing music with a more varied and longer track but just stuck in a short one as an example.

Firstly, for those who it doesn't work for.  It's probably because you're using an older version of Flash.  Upgrade to the Flash 6 player and try again.  If it still doesn't work after that, get back to me.

Secondly, why I want you to download it first rather than hosting it on my page...  Well firstly it's a work in progress so I haven't added a loading screen for it yet.  Without a loading screen it will play as it loads and since the amount of sound and traced images in it is rather large, the file size is substantial.  Unless you have a very good broadband line, it won't play properly so I'm catering to those with dial up connections.

Game mechanics?  Well there will be two styles that will guide you through most of the game.  Those are talking and doing.  Talking to people is done through choosing options in the right hand menu bar.  Talking your way past people will get progressively harder and you'll sometimes have to get information out of characters through various means.  The other method is direct interaction.  This is how things like floor puzzles will work.  You interact directly with the scene you see and yes, most of that will be clicking on images.  I might put in something more interactive for things like the corridor of blades but I'm generally of the opinion that a Knightmare game should be more about thinking and problem solving than reflexes and button bashing.  There will be two inventory bars as well as your life force gauge.  The left hand bar will display your current quest items and the bottom bar will display your current spells and calling names.  The other problem is that I'm far too lazy to draw custom graphics for it so I'm working from various photos and screen shots to make my graphics.  That limits what I can do with them.  If this game works out okay I'll probably make another with more original visual content.

I don't get paid to do things with Flash, I have very little experience and this is largely an experiment for me.  I'm doing it simply because I like Knightmare and I'm bored of waiting for Shadow of the Technomancer.  I thought some other fans might find it fun too.  If you can find the time, I'd love to see you do a more professional style Flash game, the more people making Knightmare games, the better.  Especially since there aren't really any official ones.
Spoo
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Spoo »

I don't really see myself as a professional. I am merely someone getting paid to do it because of one or more of the following reasons:
:) I work cheap.
:D I do a full-assed job as opposed to a half-assed job.
;D I've got a year of experience using my completely legitimate::) copy of Macromedia Flash.
:P I know Pi to ten decimal places.
:o Which reminds me, pie is the best thing since... Look! A distraction! *runs*

I think I might have a go at making something myself. I start back at university next week, so I've got an excuse to not do any work. Whee!
Of course, the whole thing will be a half-assed job with countless stick men. But what the hell!
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

3.141592653... damn.
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

very very nice start. i am still practicing with my copy of flash mx so i would be willing to aid you in designing the flash game. if you need a hand then please PM me or email me...   ;)
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
Spoo
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Spoo »

Hooray!

The last 6 becomes a 5 when you add the next digit, which is either 8 or 9. I can never remember which.
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

I tried downloading Flash 6 but in a stroke of genius the installation routine didn't actually do anything and it's not letting me try again.