Knightmare Lexicon

Interested in offering help to the Knightmare community? Make or respond to requests for help here.
Forester
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Knightmare Lexicon

Post by Forester »

Sorry I really shouldn't be plugging like this but what the hell....

IKM (Interactive Knightmare) now has a new feature entitled "Lexicon". It's rather obviously a Knightmare Lexicon designed to provide a dictionary / encyclopedia style reference to everything even remotely related to Knightmare.

But it can only become a good resource with people putting effort into providing the facts. So not only is it there to help expand your knowledge but will take it from you to share with others.

So please do check it out, and as it's a very new feature I am most certainly listening out for bug reports & feature requests.

Thanks for reading.

Visit the Lexicon via
http://interactive.knightmare.org.uk/home/lexicon

Want a definition of "Lexicon" see
http://interactive.knightmare.org.uk/co ... iew&EID=10
Never test a mains lead with your tongue.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Knightmare Lexicon

Post by Emii »

This look like it could be a large amount of fun, gven that you have enough input...I'm there!
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

The Lexicon is superbly thought-out and designed. It's very user-friendly, and contributing to it is a lot of fun. Visiting the Lexicon could well give you one of those 'Where have you been all my life?' moments. ;D
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

Particularly with the addition of some of the screen caps that I have been taking.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

A lexicon is, by definition, a word-book. (http://interactive.knightmare.org.uk/co ... iew&EID=10) So although having pictures is great, they are no substitute for a textual entry that is as detailed, informative and definitive as possible, in my opinion.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

It's what you might call a Bible of Knightmare.... and there'll always be stuff to put in it!
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Post by Illusion »

I think this is a great feature, certainly something that compliments the FANSFAQ and suchlike.

I will give this a mention in the next update so hopefully we can build it up to a mass resource. ;D
You're on the edge of a ledge...
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

Judging by the amount of entries already there, it is going to be a very popular.

I have enjoyed reading most of the entries, and contributing to it myself.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Knightmare Lexicon

Post by DarkComet »

Random thought about the lexicon: would it be more navigatable/easier to edit if it was based on wiki technology?
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Knightmare.com Update

Post by Drassil »

Although I've never worked on a wiki, I personally find the Lexicon fairly straightforward to navigate and edit. As it stands, non-Mods can only edit their own articles, but as long as the Lexicon is attentively moderated and maintained, that needn't be a problem. If you post an entry or two there yourself, you'll have a better idea of how it works. :)
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I have to say I'd prefer a wiki system for the Lexicon. It works fantastically well, but for a non-mod there's no way of adding anything to an entry which isn't yours, which is causing some duplicate entries in certain cases.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It could be done either way.

The question is, if we use a full wiki, who's going to volunteer to manually transfer all the entries?
hindleyite
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by hindleyite »

How many entries are there? 1,000ish? Shouldn't take too long to copy across in my experience, maybe a weekend. Is there no way of exporting the raw xml history files, or is it not one of those kinds of wikis?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

No idea.
In my experience, it usually takes a few days to create the scripts or software to translate between these things. It's never as easy as it first appears.

Are you volunteering to copy them across?
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Lexicon

Post by Drassil »

Pooka wrote:...for a non-mod there's no way of adding anything to an entry which isn't yours, which is causing some duplicate entries in certain cases.
That's exactly how the Lexicon was intended to work: similarly to Urban Dictionary. And though it's not direct editing, I'm sure that most Lexicon authors are open to politely suggested corrections or additions to their articles.
Mystara wrote:...who's going to volunteer to manually transfer all the entries?
I'd be very happy to do my own articles, at the very least.