Re:Anglia's Magdalen Street studios to close

Report and discuss latest knews and developments relating to Knightmare.
Illusion
Knight
Knight

Anglia's Magdalen Street studios to close

Post by Illusion »

Knightmare was filmed at Anglia TV's Magdalen Street studios, which is to close.

From MediaGuardian.co.uk
Anglia cuts jobs after Ofcom ruling

Dominic Timms
Friday May 20, 2005

ITV's Anglia network is to axe close to 50 staff in Norwich following media regulator Ofcom's decision to allow the channel to reduce its local non-news programming by 50%.

Anglia said it was cutting 46 posts and disposing of its Magdalen Street studio in Norwich as a result of the cuts and the subsequent decision by ITV to outsource its regional peak time output.

In an email to staff, the Anglia managing director, Graham Creelman, said the decision was "regrettable but inevitable in the light of the Ofcom decision".

Describing the restructuring as "painful," he said the cuts would fall across the company's programming , technical, studios, technology and finance departments, with 26 posts being axed in its regional programming unit.

As part of the restructuring the company will move out of its current site, concentrating staff in its city centre headquarters where it plans a new £5m newsroom.

Anglia said it was talking to prospective buyers for its Magdalen Street studio, which will be mothballed.

"This is regrettable but inevitable in the light of the Ofcom decision to allow ITV to reduce its non-news regional programming from three hours to one-and-a half hours a week; an internal review of our technical capacity and the now long-term absence of work for the Magdalen Street studio," Mr Creelman told staff.

Anglia said it expected most of the job losses to be voluntary and anticipated that "many of those leaving will be re-employed within the region's growing independent production community".

After lobbying by ITV the media regulator announced in February that it would allow the channel to reduce its local non-news programming hours by half.

In support of its decision, Ofcom said non-news regional shows were considered a "lower priority to viewers than other aspects of public service broadcasting", and therefore it was "hard to sustain" arguments requiring ITV to continue to invest in this type of programming.

Unions described the decision as the "death blow to regional programming across the country", warning it would put up to 300 jobs at risk.
You're on the edge of a ledge...
DarkComet
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DarkComet »

Ouch! Not pleasant.

Sigh... lot of people had a lot of good experiences in that place. Damn restructuring.
The Dunshelm Players
Audios plays and commentaries with a Knightmare flavour

The neighing and braying of farmyard animals follows
Golgarach
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Golgarach »

It's another example of how ITV has gone downhill in recent years. >:( Since Carlton and Granada (who own/owned Anglia) merged the whole system has gone downhill. And like Television Centre in Southampton (formerly Southern, TVS & Meridian), and Television House in Nottingham (Central), it's very sad to hear another special studio complex in Magdalen Street is being sold off for ITV plc's interest. :'(
Listen puny flesh! Nothing may you take with the earning. Nothing may you know without the learning.
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

I think the plan is that by 2012 they will only have 3 main studio locations. I think these are Manchester, Birmingham, and London.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Anglia TV Studios

Post by KFan »

I was wondering if anyone has been to Norwich lately and seen the Anglia studios..

If so, I wondered if they've closed down yet, and if so what's being done with the place at the moment.

I wonder what's happened/happening to the Knightmare award in the cabinet...

Liam.
Golgarach
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Anglia TV Studios

Post by Golgarach »

I think the Magdalen Street studios (where Knightmare was filmed) have been closed down now (thanks to ITV plc >:(). Anglia News/Anglia Tonight were based at those studios but have now relocated back to their original home at Anglia House (which was open even while Magdalen Street was).

Hope that helps.
Listen puny flesh! Nothing may you take with the earning. Nothing may you know without the learning.
djoska
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Anglia TV Studios

Post by djoska »

Last time I checked, the studio was open.
I live near Norwich and go there weekly.
The regional News an' stuff is still filmed there and the buildings look pretty neat but I aint nosed around there.
Keep a look out for my Knew Knightmare PC game!!
V1.0 coming soon!!!!
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

Well, sorry to bring back an old topic..

I went to Norwich the other week and it doesn't look like anything has happened to the old studios.. they look abandoned >:(
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

At least they mention that the region's independent production company community is growing.
Subject to change.
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

Well, the Manchester studios are going to be knocked down so bang goes your theory, The Brollachan!
TheBrollachan
Knight
Knight

Post by TheBrollachan »

tomyboy wrote: Well, the Manchester studios are going to be knocked down so bang goes your theory, The Brollachan!
A lot can and probably has happenned since May 2005 when I made the post, which if I recall was based on a MediaGuardian article or similar. With these forums it's always best to note the date (and year) posts were made.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmokeHits
Keeper of the original modellers' cast of the Brollachan.
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

OK, sorry! Whilst we're on the subject of studios, does anyone know/has heard of what is going to happen to the Jungle Run studios? It used to be a RAF base, surely they can't/won't knock that down!
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

I think you've misunderstood. The restructuring doesn't mean every single unused television studio(s) is going to be closed down and demolished. It's only the ITV regional locations that are/have been scaled down. There are many filming locations of a private concern.

Edit: While we're on the subject of manchester studios. Last I heard this was merely a rumor. There are still productions filmed at the granana studios (ie coronation street) and ITV aren't keen to move such sets if they can help it. But there was talk of moving all such productions to salford's new mediacity project. Having said that, part of the site is already up for new development
Last edited by Anonymous on 04 Nov 2006, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
tomyboy
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by tomyboy »

So, the stuff about the Jungle Run studios is just a rumour too? Seems doubtful, what with Jungle Run finishing and all!
KFan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by KFan »

If Jungle Run finishes for good, they'll probably remove the set and leave the building as they did with the crystal maze.