Unintended Knightmare references on TV: Merlin

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Unintended Knightmare references on TV: Merlin

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, considering KM got the names FROM these stories... but the new Merlin series has characters with KM names.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare references

Post by JamesA »

Saturday's episode of Merlin contained the following reference to their character Morghanna:

"She Cannot Be Trusted" (advice which was also given to Series 3 Team 11)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Annie wrote:
I wrote:On an unrelated note, last week someone working on a crossword asked me about the spelling of the word vim. :)
LOL - I hope you answered suitably slowly!
The question was specifically about the number of ms so unfortunately there was no need for me to spell the whole word. ;)

The TV Burp Gold 2 DVD features a clip from EastEnders of a (cleaner's) cart crashing. Harry Hill's comment on it is: "Ooh, nasty!"

The novel The Midnight Charter features a meeting between characters called Mark and Lilith and a comment on slaves, 'no one likes a talking tool', that made me think of a certain key. Given that the author of the book is a Knightmare fan, I hold some hope that these may not have been unintentional. :)

Unsurprisingly, the BBC series Merlin has no end of unintended Knightmare references. My favourite from the most recent series was Morgana sending a floating weapon at another character to make him squirm.

And I did enjoy seeing the Doctor blinded by a "silly" helmet in tonight's Doctor Who episode. Followed by four people going home for Christmas.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Last year, I wrote:Unsurprisingly, the BBC series Merlin has no end of unintended Knightmare references. My favourite from the most recent series was Morgana sending a floating weapon at another character to make him squirm.
Last night's episode had Morgana entering lower catacombs and sending forth a floating weapon (again); followed by Mo*dred using a sword to overcome someone who took too long and could then only look upon him and quail.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Drassil wrote:Last night's episode had Morgana entering lower catacombs and sending forth a floating weapon (again); followed by Mo*dred using a sword to overcome someone who took too long and could then only look upon him and quail.
And don't forget the scenes featuring the snowy landscapes.... almost felt as if we were back in Winteria.
James Aukett
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I laughed at Morgana's floating weapon, too (it was just missing the sound effect). Also the bit where Arthur and Merlin found the only way into the enemy's castle was via the stinky waste disposal passage! And riding in a minecart...
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

There were a couple of Knightmare-ish references I picked up on recently:

In last weekend's epsiode of Merlin (where Merlin and Arthur are making their way to the stones), Merlin asks Arthur "So, are we going to turn back?" to which Arthur replies: "No".

And in the most recent episode of Never Mind The Buzzcocks (where Professor Green was guest captain and I must point out, Lee Mack was guest host) Prof's team mate, comedian Chris Ramsey says to him "you should be Professor Grey, you miserable b*****d!" to which Lee followed up by saying it was like a Geordie version of Reservoir Dogs - "you're not going to be Professor Green, you're going to be Professor Grey!" (This of course, did make me think of Grimaldine.... sometimes of the grey, but always of the green.)
James Aukett
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Canadanne wrote:Quite amused by the lesson it teaches, though - don't even joke about being on Knightmare! People so desperately want it to be true, it's not something you can easily take back. :)
It would have been easy enough for India Knight to delete her tweet about it (which in turn would have undone all the 80+ retweets) and/or to tweet a retraction, but she seemed either too stubborn or too apathetic to do so. It doesn't reflect well on her as a Sunday Times journalist. Here's hoping that given the nature of Twitter, Jamie Reed's falsehood will soon be lost beneath layers of sediment if it hasn't already been, and that he can find all the adventure he needs in the House of Commons.

I wonder if Cliff, Ross and Helen (Series 4) were watching Merlin last night:

The notes at the beginning of the verses in Right Back Where We Started From by Maxine Nightingale always remind me of the Knightmare theme.