Next Meetup

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Next Meetup

Post by Mystara »

Further to the poll, I can announce that the next intended meetup (around Easter) will be a Murder Mystery, run by The Killing Game.

You can find a list of their upcoming events here.

Due to price constraints (I doubt many will want to fork out £150), it needs to be one of the events that runs on a single evening. Any requests?
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Next Meetup

Post by Snowcat »

Like many, I'll need to book time off of work to make the event. So the more weeks away it is, the more chance I have of attending. Missed so many of these meetups because of the boss saying "No!"... :-/

The Dinner mystery at Hawkwell House looks promising.

Apparently I'm getting the 29th off for the royal wedding so can travel (not sure if by train or driving). Possibly make a long weekend of it.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I think that would work well for me too, actually.
Not yet sure of my plans over that period, but I have a lot of days off.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Time is ticking, and I think it's time to decide if we have enough interest for this meetup.
With no other dates being proposed, I'm happy to go with Snowcat's request for 30th April.

Let's have a show of hands for interest, please.

Murder Mystery
Saturday 30th April
Oxford
£45.00 per head

Doubtless we'll find other things to do nearby, as well.

Three people voted for the murder mystery, so there should be sufficient interest to go ahead.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

*Sticks a paw in the air.*

How/When y'want money?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Diamonds. On the hour, every hour.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I could probably go for this. I know Oxford quite well, too, so could be able to show people 'round.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Matt (Myatt) and I are planning on a walk for this day, but if we can postpone this to later on in the year then I'll be happy to join in.

Will speak to him next week if I don't hear from him beforehand.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Myatt
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Myatt »

James and I spoke yesturday about this. I am interested in the murder mystery so we decided that we will bring our walk forward a week to accommodate the Murder Mystery on the 30th. Can you clarify how much it is likely to cost and are we looking at 1 night or a long weekend?

Matt
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

£45, long night.

Weekend is too much
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

I'm interested in coming along. Mystara, how do you plan to do the booking? Reading the FAQs, it says:

Can I get members of my party to book for themselves?
Yes. First book for yourself and then let us know approximately how many other people you expect to be in your group. Then get your friends to book asking them to mention your name, so we can seat you together.

Can I make a provisional booking?
Almost certainly! We know it can take a short while to put a large group together, so we're happy to provisionally reserve places for you. We can normally hold a provisional booking for a few days before we require confirmation of numbers and a deposit. If the event is many months away we can sometimes hold a provisional booking for a few weeks. This may vary depending on how close to the event the provisional booking is made or how full the event is; give us a call and our sales staff will clarify this for you.

(Don't worry too much about the 'provisional booking' question; I decided to put this in because it was there.) I think the best bet would be to do as the first question says (i.e. book for yourself and let other members book mentioning your name). This would avoid having to have money changing hands between us. There seems to be a space in the online booking pages to mention a name. Some people may want to stay for one or two nights as well (I think I would stay for the one night - I think most people will, because of the 11pm finish), and the website allows you to book for this.

Incidentally, the text I post appears to be bold. I don't know how to prevent this (by default, it came out yellow!)
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

The bold yellow text is only how your own post appears if you view it just after you posted it (er, presumably to indicate that you posted it, or something). It'll appear normal any time afterwards.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Okay, I'm thinking we actually have enough people to do this.

I think the most logical way to do things is for people to book it themselves. That saves the hassle of money changing hands and also means that if people want to stay the night, they can do.

I'll wait a few more days before doing anything, in order to get a better idea of numbers.

For those that don't want to travel back, but also don't want to fork out £100 for a room, there are other hotels not far away, including a premier inn and a holiday inn express (for around £60 for a two bed room).
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

Hmmm, in the FAQs, as I said above it says for the question "Can I get members of my party to book for themselves?" "Yes. First book for yourself and then let us know approximately how many other people you expect to be in your group. Then get your friends to book asking them to mention your name, so we can seat you together."

So, I think the best bet is to book and tell then approximately how many to expect (I see no function for this on the online booking, so you may have to phone) and then the rest of us can book mentioning your name (there is a space for this in the online booking). This 'associates' it with your booking and says that they can then seat us together.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Sounds like we have a plan coming together.

*Breaks out the cigars*