That damned life force....

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

That damned life force....

Post by Arcengal »

Right.

I've got to get rid of this fear of the series 1-5 life force. Knightmare is an awesome program, but after watching it again I've starting having (K)nightmares about it. I have to sleep with the light on.

Yes, this is depressing.

Does anyone have ANY ideas how to get it out of my head?
4 line sigs yada yada yada
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: That damned life force....

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Hypnosis?
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

I think it says something for that life force icon that so many people still feel a little edgy when they see it on screen. I know it used to scare me as a kidsie.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Deal with it. I had a reoccuring dream when I was about 6 about Knightmare. That came back recently too. Kinda fun really, feeling as scared as you used to be.
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Why is everyone so scared about the lifeforce sequence from series 1-5?  It was FASCINATING!!  I was only 6 when I first saw it and it never scared me.  In fact, when I was watching some of my old recordings as I was growing up, I sometimes deliberately watched an episode or a sequence with a lifeforce sequence in it just to get as much of it as possible.

I personally think that the saddest day of knightmare was when they got rid of the original lifeforce sequence, probably because so many kids watching the show were scared of it.

Don't be scared of it, enjoy it!!
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

Did you become a biology major or something?

I personally do not enjoy seeing skin peeling off skulls. I don't know whether you have some kind of kick out of it, or you thought it was "cool" because it was gross, but I don't like it. Especially the bit where the camera passes through the eye of the skull.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Obviously I phrased that last post pretty badly.

No I don't get a 'kick' out of the lifeforce sequence.  If it was a real skull discintegrating I wouldn't find it cool at all, it would be purely sickening.

The fact is that the creators must have put an awful lot of thought into the creation of the sequence and I find it fascinating that this was the product of their creation.

Take the pie/quiche/cake from series 8.  This was not scary at all but it was soooo boring!  Slices of a cake disappear in a set order of segments at a time, [wow].  The skull was interesting because it was not a predictable sequence of effects.  I'm not denying that it could be perceived as gross but it was only a cartoonish graphic so it was harmless.  Do you think that the walking man lifeforce sequence was gross as well?
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

But the skull *is* a set pattern of images...

I last saw Series 8 nine years ago (or thereabouts), and my memories of anything pre-Secondary School are hazy, so I don't really haven an opinion on the cake. The walking man is my fave, though.

I guess you'll be staying away from the end credits of Series 3 Episode (12-14, can't remember which) - full life force sequence over the ending theme!
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

I'd say the walking man was just as scary - really good sound effects.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Arcengal
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Arcengal »

I thought the walking man was the best life force. It gave a good show of how low life force was, so you could panic about it, while at the same time it in itself wasn't scary.

And I usually turn the channel at the temporal distortion anyway...no chance of seeing THOSE end credits then... :)
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

I love the original clock! I think they ditched it in order to tone things down a bit. But the clock never bothered me - I loved it! I found it so enthralling and hypnotic to look at. I did find it scary when it was used in death scenes - but isn't that the point?

I REALLY hope the new series has a life force clock just like the original.

The skeleton was ok, but time-wise it was a bit disjointed - 10 minutes would go by without anything happening, then it would appear half-expired as the dungeoneer gets the food, and would be almost completely expired in about twenty seconds. It was a similar story with the original in series 1 and 2 when it was played full-speed as opposed to half-speed in series 3,4 and 5.
Subject to change.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

I take the point that the lifeforce only seemed to be timed realistically during series 3-5.  The skull had 21 pieces coming off it and when it was slowed down, progress could be monitored easily in dwarf tunnels for example.  I think the man only had 15 pieces falling off it before it crumpled into green mush at the end (although I have never seen the whole sequence from start to finish so I can't say for definite).  The transformation from a full lifeforce to an empty lifeforce seemed too hurried as well.  The walking man seemed to be full of energy until the armour on the legs disappeared then it could arguably be depicted as being low on energy.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

I guess you'll be staying away from the end credits of Series 3 Episode (12-14, can't remember which) - full life force sequence over the ending theme!
I think that the end credits that showed the full sequence (many thanks to the production team ;D) was at the end of episode 13.
Gerz
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gerz »

I Loved the oringal life force, how come people find it scary? It was just a computer graphic!

There are a lot more scary things out therem even more scary then a non scary computer graphic imo.
I Love Goblins
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Does anyone know how the life force clock was done? I can't begin to think how the computers of the day could have been able to cope with such a high-fidelity animation.

Who's face is it, anyway?
Subject to change.