Edmund Dehn interview for 25th anniversary documentary

Questions for the cast and crew of Knightmare
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Edmund Dehn interview for 25th anniversary documentary

Post by JamesA »

Edmund has agreed to give an interview for the Knightmare 25th anniversary documentary - the interview is scheduled to take place Tuesday next week, on June 5th.

If there's any questions that people would like to ask him - please post them below (they can be the same as the ones that Kieran used for his interview or entirely different).

Please can questions be posted no later than Monday evening, June 4th.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Re: Interview with Edmund Dehn

Post by shadow6162 »

Yeah here's one:

Did your makeup for Gumboil take forever? ;D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

What do you think was the reason for Gumboil's delusions of grandeur, especially his habit of referring to himself in the third person, with a profound sub-title e.g. "Gumboil The Incorruptible"?

Was it easier playing the Automatum (no lines to learn), or playing Gumboil (not having to walk so stiffly)?
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

JamesA wrote:Edmund has agreed to give an interview for the Knightmare 25th anniversary documentary - the interview is scheduled to take place Tuesday next week, on June 5th.

If there's any questions that people would like to ask him - please post them below (they can be the same as the ones that Kieran used for his interview or entirely different).
What was it like speaking through the Igneous mask?

If he remembers it, perhaps he can tell us the TRUTH about Akash's quest?! (Believed to have scored zero with Igneous, then re-filmed the start of the quest to acquire a convenient TRUTH spell beforehand.) Did he originally get to kill off Akash, or was there not even a script prepared for total failure in the clue room?

Memories of his fellow wall monster? As Guy Standeven and John Woodnutt are sadly unable to contribute to this documentary, it would be nice to hear a few words about them from anyone they worked with in the early series. (I expect some of the fans who'll watch the documentary don't even know that two of the original cast are no longer with us, so you might consider including a short tribute to them.)

And not a question, but I think you should congratulate Ed on being completely terrifying as the Automatum!
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Cannadanne wrote:And not a question, but I think you should congratulate Ed on being completely terrifying as the Automatum!
Yes you should! Now when I watch the earlier series of Knightmare the Automatum always makes me wet myself. ;D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I hope you enjoy meeting up with Mr Dehn again, James. Here is a question for him:

As the Automatum, did you ever worry about scaring the contestants (or indeed the watchers at home) too much?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Was the Automatum intended to "die" when the RUST spell was cast on him? Was it always going to be his final appearance, or were you [Dehn] not told?
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
SpectralScorpion
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by SpectralScorpion »

I have a question:

Was there a character you liked/disliked playing more than the others? If so, why?

I was also scared of the Automatum. Made my seven year-old self turn away from the telly every time. ;D
SpectralScorpion (n) - One who is forever condemned to eat his words by his own brash arrogance. XD
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Thanks for these Annie - and on the note of video clips, here's his appearance in a teaser for the up-and-coming film Judge Minty (based on Judge Dredd and hoped to be released around the time that the new Dredd movie hits cinema screens later in the year).

As for my interview, I'm pleased to say it went ahead as planned today, great talking to Edmund and got a lot of useful information from him. Thanks to everyone who put forward questions on this thread, here are the answers to the ones that I asked Edmund (please note that I might have reworded some of the questions slightly):

What are your memories of fellow actors Guy Standeven and John Woodnutt?
I got to know Guy a lot better than John as like me, he was a jobbing actor and we both had a mutual feeling of suffering behind a plastic mask as wall monsters! John was rather better known and I was slightly in awe of him as he'd been quite successful - he was fine but didn't get to know him so well. Guy on the other hand helped me through it and was a very nice, friendly man.

What was it like wearing the Igneous mask?
The main problem was that there were no nose holes to breathe - you had holes for the eyes and mouth which was fine but it did feel a bit hot wearing it under the camera lights. My ambition as Igneous was to eat a dungeoneer if they got all three questions wrong, but as it never happened I as a wall monster felt slightly hard done by!

Was there a character you liked or disliked playing more than the others?
I liked them all to an extent - Igneous and Gumboil was what I felt I spent most of my time doing, the Automatum came more automatic as I didn't have to do much for him and I also liked the Giant, though with him there wasn't much of a chance. I'd have to say Gumboil was most fun, although I liked Igneous too.

Was it easier playing the Automatum (no lines to learn) or Gumboil (not having to walk so stiffly)?
I'd say Gumboil as I've always been better at voice rather than the physical side.

A number of people on the Knightmare forum would like to congratulate you for being so terrifying as the Automatum. Did you ever worry about scaring the contestants or viewers too much when playing him?
Oh how kind - I suppose I ought to have done, but actually no! I should have thought of it yet sometimes you're not aware of how effective you're being perhaps. But thank you, I'm so pleased it worked and it's great fun to hear from people who remember it fondly. It's lovely.
James Aukett
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Nice interview! The answers look great :D
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Thank you. There are the other questions I asked him which will form the core part of my documentary but it's always good to have those extra questions (such as the ones above) to hand since they could provide that useful bit of extra information.
James Aukett
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I love how badass he is. :D

Great to hear the interview went well, thanks for sharing these responses!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Great interview, can't wait for the documentary! Any idea when it will be coming out?
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

pjmlfc05 wrote:Great interview, can't wait for the documentary! Any idea when it will be coming out?
The documentary should hopefully be ready sometime before Christmas. *keeps fingers crossed*
James Aukett