Articles from Broadcast and Wired

Discussion about Knightmare in youtube's Geek Week.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Articles from Broadcast and Wired

Post by Canadanne »

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/mult ... 73.article

Show creator Tim Child, who developed the original series, is to come out of retirement to produce the 30-minute show, which will headline a week of sci-fi, fantasy and animation-led content scheduled to run on the Google-owned site from 4 August. [...]
Child said he was surprised to have been asked by Google to revive the show.
“When I got the first contact email I thought it was some weird variant of the classic Nigerian web-scam’. Even now I still can’t believe it,’ he said.
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Press release photo

Post by Insider »

With the might of Google backing Mr Child and Knightmare, surely the sky's the limit.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

wombstar wrote:Has this been posted?

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... -geek-week
Oddly enough, I was just about to post that XD
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

New knightmare on tv in maybe a year? WOW.... this geek week better work!!!
(as long as it's not on sky) It's like a dream!!!! wouldn't believe in a zillion years that Km would be revived.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Post by shadow6162 »

Wait, the Knighties? That's what we're called? ...sure, I'll be a Knighty XD
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

shadow6162 wrote:Wait, the Knighties? That's what we're called? ...sure, I'll be a Knighty XD
What if you were born in knightyeen eighty two ?.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I prefer Knightmarian :)

After dreaming for so long it's quite surreal that this might actually happen!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

I've just twigged that this might be the reason my 'Knightmare Revisited' article was renamed - I submitted it to Alan with the title 'Bringing Back Knightmare'.

Ha, little did I know as I daydreamed at my keyboard!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Hugo Myatt mentioned in an interview somewhere that we were called 'Knighties' - I remember thinking at the time, "We are??!"

I skipped over the contestant quotes in the Wired article as they warned about spoilers (I want to be surprised when I watch the new episode!), but the rest of it was interesting. I have to say personally, I would not want the show to be revived if Tim Child wasn't involved - it simply wouldn't be Knightmare for me, without him writing the characters. (I doubt if Hugo and Mark would be willing or available to do a full series either, though you never know.) I'm delighted this one-off episode is happening, but I strongly suspect pushing it any further would just ruin it.

I think they must be referring to Nick Collett as the fourth returning cast member. He was certainly in KMVR (and TimeBusters), so that's probably what Tim was thinking of. It's possible he had an uncredited role in the original show as well.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

The only time I've ever heard or seen 'Knighties' being used was by forum member HStorm in a 2007 post, and that was as a joke.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

New Knightmare & Tim Child's involvement

Post by Drassil »

Canadanne wrote:I have to say personally, I would not want the show to be revived if Tim Child wasn't involved - it simply wouldn't be Knightmare for me, without him writing the characters.
When David Learner was interviewed by Debz Glover, he told a story about Tim Child getting so vexed over a knotty problem that he scratched his head until it bled. I can't blame him for wanting to avoid a recurrence of that level of stress in his 60s.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: New Knightmare & Tim Child's involvement

Post by Canadanne »

Drassil wrote:
Canadanne wrote:I have to say personally, I would not want the show to be revived if Tim Child wasn't involved - it simply wouldn't be Knightmare for me, without him writing the characters.
When David Learner was interviewed by Debz Glover, he told a story about Tim Child getting so vexed over a knotty problem that he scratched his head until it bled. I can't blame him for wanting to avoid a recurrence of that level of stress in his 60s.
Oh, of course; I'm not demanding that he come back against his wishes! I'm just saying, as someone who cares deeply about the "mythology" of the show, that a Knightmare without Tim Child would be like some random author writing a sequel to Lord Of The Rings - it might be a good book, but since it wouldn't be "the real thing" from Tolkien's imagination or written in his distinctive style, my gut reaction is Do Not Want. That's just me, though. I know a lot of people care more about the gameplay, and would be happy to see it back on TV no matter who was in charge.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Articles from Broadcast and Wired

Post by HStorm »

Oh, of course; I'm not demanding that he come back against his wishes! I'm just saying, as someone who cares deeply about the "mythology" of the show, that a Knightmare without Tim Child would be like some random author writing a sequel to Lord Of The Rings - it might be a good book, but since it wouldn't be "the real thing" from Tolkien's imagination or written in his distinctive style, my gut reaction is Do Not Want. That's just me, though. I know a lot of people care more about the gameplay, and would be happy to see it back on TV no matter who was in charge.
I imagine it would work fine so long as at least someone from the production crew on the original is running things, so long as they're still around e.g. Sally Freeman, Tom Hunt, even David Rowe. (Tom Hunt co-wrote some of the quests.)
stockholmsyndrome
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Articles from Broadcast and Wired

Post by stockholmsyndrome »

Firstly great site people,I loved Knightmare in my distant youth, some of the scenes were so ambient or atmospheric they still inspire me. My only beef was the giant Cod with pitch folks, they looked like they should be giving out flyers for the local chip shop..the Goblins were much cooler :green:

The revival is all good, and lets just enjoy it. Knightmare live is great, I saw the first London show, and Geek Week will be great.

With anything new for T.V, I think the Knightmare format would work mixed in with other ideas, but with a new title, characters and universe. That way moving on, whilst not tarnishing the Cult classic. With J.K Rowling, Tolkein being popular in the mainstream, a lot of potential for a new quest show to do well.