Knightmare Live - Previews - July 2013

For the discussion of Knightmare Live, the stage adaptation of Knightmare
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Knightmare Live - Previews - July 2013

Post by JamesA »

HobGoblin wrote:Yeah, aren't those voiceovers related to a show called Weird and Wonderful rather than Knightmare Live?
That is correct.

Back to Knightmare Live itself now - there are currently a VERY LIMITED number of tickets available for a London preview taking place in Camden on Thursday July 18th, link below:

http://knightmarelivecamden.eventbrite.co.uk/#

I strongly advise booking a ticket as soon as possible if you'd like to go - the other London preview which takes place the night before in Highbury has already sold out!
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Re: Knightmare Live preview show 18 July

Post by HobGoblin »

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned the Knightmare Live preview show on the forum (unless I’ve missed something). I’m wary of giving too much away but here are a few brief thoughts:

Thought it was a really nice balance between being funny and respecting the source material. This was a concern of mine beforehand but it’s obviously being produced by people with genuine affection for the show.

Although it was probably correctly introduced as “not an entry level show” it wasn’t over-reliant on self-indulgent in-jokes and I’m sure a lot of the dialogue could have been enjoyed by anyone with a sense of humour (Lord Fear: “You’re nothing but my puppet” Treguard: “Er...marionette or hand puppet?”).

This was of course a preview show and much of the comedy derived from the fact that things were a bit ramshackle. Although some elements obviously need to be changed (on this particular performance there wasn’t enough room at the side of the stage for one for the spinning blades to, well, spin) I’d be sad if the final production got too polished. As impressive as a giant spider puppet might be, I think having someone holding a piece of paper with ‘giant spider’ written on it is funny in itself and it would be a shame to lose all such moments; they lend the production a more intimate feel.

I did feel the show was a bit flabby/messy in the second half – but hey, the idea of preview shows is to throw everything against the wall and see what sticks (insert joke about how Lord Fear decides when it’s time to change his underwear). Apparently they have an hour slot at Edinburgh so there’s about 30 mins of material to be trimmed. I suppose all successful writers must learn to kill their darlings (as well as dungeoneers).

I think my only real criticism is that the comedians acting as advisors didn’t bring much to the table – it wouldn’t have been all that different if they’d been plucked from the audience – but I think this will vary from performance to performance anyway.

And well done to Alan (“ah, a warrior’s name”) for doing a great job as dungeoneer! His tactic of hugging guards in lieu of a bribe was genuinely innovative.

The KM Live guys were kind enough to let audience members pose with the helmet of justice after the show (not the original but a very good replica and being used in the geek week episode I believe) – I’m sure lots of profile pictures became KM related the following day!

This is a very funny show though and any KM fans harbouring doubts should just go along and have fun!
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knightmare Live - Edinburgh - August 2013

Post by Mystara »

Excellent write up.

There is actually a mostly complete one to be published on the site, from Drassil.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to publish it yet, but will do soon.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Drassil wrote:
i think it was for the best that the comedians didn't steal the show
Agreed, though there's surely a middle ground between stealing the show and not making much of a contribution. I just didn't feel they justified the 'guest comedian' slot (and it wasn't me heckling btw :) ). I left thinking they could have offered advisor roles on kickstarter.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

HobGoblin wrote:Drassil wrote:
i think it was for the best that the comedians didn't steal the show
Agreed, though there's surely a middle ground between stealing the show and not making much of a contribution. I just didn't feel they justified the 'guest comedian' slot (and it wasn't me heckling btw :) ). I left thinking they could have offered advisor roles on kickstarter.
How amazing would that have been? I'm sure there wouldn't have been a shortage of takers! Shame there was heckling but you will always the odd idiot spoiling it for everyone else.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
malibupete
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by malibupete »

As one of the guest comedians on the night in question, just wanted to chip in - we were told beforehand to concentrate on playing the game rather than trying to be funny, and to let the performers on stage do their planned funny stuff. I was more than happy to do this, as I was there as a Knightmare fan first and foremost! Sorry some of you were disappointed with our contribution though...

I think everyone will bring something slightly different to the table during the Edinburgh run, and that part of the fun for audiences might be seeing some quite well-known Edinburgh comedians taking on the challenge. I'm just glad to have had a spot on the preview!

Pete
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Malibupete wrote:
Sorry some of you were disappointed with our contribution
Disappointed is a strong word as I had no real idea of what to expect. I was just slightly puzzled as to why the comedians weren't really attempting to be funny (as opposed to trying and falling short which is very different). But if the whole guest comedian thing is a way to put bums on seats or get recognizable faces on stage then fair enough.

Anyway, first night in Edinburgh is fast approaching so all the very best to everyone involved - I look forward to seeing you in Tunbridge Wells when you go on tour!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Personally, and from what I've heard from the Knightmare Live crew, I think the comedians in the second preview were excellent and did exactly as they were supposed to do.

I think that without comedians there, you'd run the risk of the dungeoneer and advisors taking things a little too seriously. The comedians therefore do a great job of grounding the (possibly over-enthusiastic) dungeoneer in reality.

On the other hand, if the comedians are too enthusiastic, then you pull apart the show and it becomes all about your cast for the show rather than the game itself.

So excellent job, Pete. A hat-tip to you.
malibupete
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by malibupete »

Thanks Alan! And for my part, I am sorry that I made you sidestep in the wrong direction to your demise... A genuine old-school Knightmare blunder which made me feel every bit as shame-faced as the original contestants must have done ;)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

My demise?

If you mean to the, uhhh, IOU-note-monster, I don't think it really counts :)
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Knightmare Live preview show 18 July

Post by Drassil »

Glad you're with us on the forum, Pete. And you've nothing to apologise for. Knightmare was and is shout-at-the-screen television so it's no surprise that some of the audience brought this to the preview. Unfortunately, the advisors' nook was between them and the stage! Once my review is published on the website, you'll see that I for one found some of your and Thomas' advising highly praiseworthy.

Good luck with your own forthcoming show!

(Alan, might it be worth investing in a subforum for Knightmare Live, where we can separate out posts about the Edinburgh shows, the previews, the Kickstarter etc?)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Good call. Give me a bit though.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Done