Capaldi? At last the mold is broken.

Discussions of the classic british sci-fi show.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Capaldi? At last the mold is broken.

Post by HStorm »

Peter Capaldi is to be the Twelfth Doctor. I approve, I'm glad that we're not getting yet another tall, dark-haired, young-ish pretty boy in the role, and we're back to the Doctor being a man in middle age. That should certainly help to change the trendy 'televisual chewing-gum' atmosphere of the modern series.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Capaldi? At last the mold is broken.

Post by Canadanne »

My thoughts exactly!
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

It's all happening at the moment. Two hurricanes of awesome at once. :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Yeah it's good news, and a long time coming.
And for the record I thought Matt was indeed awesome and wouldn't mined he if stuck around for another year.. but the last thing we want is another 'bady face' in the role. Looking forward to seeing how he plays him.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I am delighted with Capaldi landing the role.

Age is never a problem for me (young or old, it's the acting/character that counts), but I am glad they went with someone on the other side of 50 (55, to be exact, the same age as William Hartnell when he started 8-o )
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Don't get me wrong, age isn't necessarily an issue for me either - not nearly as much as it appears to be for the series itself - I just want things varied up a bit more. A common complaint since the 'classic' series ended is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell one Doctor from the next - there are strong resemblances, it has been argued, between the eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh Doctors, and several aspects in particular are that they have all been in the same age bracket, are all very tall, and all have dark hair. Capaldi, as you say, is as good an actor as anyone who has played the Doctor since, probably, Patrick Troughton. But he also finally changes the image a bit. (Curiosity point: He is someone more akin to Jon Pertwee than David Tennant, while also having similar eyes to Tom Baker.) He's an excellent choice, and it's refreshingly brave of the series to take a chance on someone a bit older again, rather than going for the presumed 'ratings-pull' of a young poster-boy.

And no, I'm not saying the poster-boys were necessarily bad for the role. Matt Smith was a real natural for the part, it was just a bit samey to have him take over from David Tennant.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Well I thought Matt and David were completely different. (Never liked David, loved Matt)

But 55 isn't really old anymore, I mean 55 is younger today than it was when Hartnell was in it.

But I fear this wont last, and it will be a short stay. We know the Moff wants to use up this 13 lives rule so he can do whatever he wants to secure the next 50 years of the show, his already tamped with the past and he wants to make sure his vision can't be changed. Sooner we get a new show runner the better.
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

I would be more inclined to say that the mould was broken when Doctor Who came back on our screens, and we've had 3 relatively young, "sexeh" Doctors, so anyone whining about how "ancient" Capaldi is, or how "groundbreaking" an "old" Doctor is, hasn't seen much of the series prior to Ecclestone/Tennant.

I, personally, cannot wait to see what Capaldi will interpret the role :D
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

wombstar wrote:Well I thought Matt and David were completely different. (Never liked David, loved Matt)

But 55 isn't really old anymore, I mean 55 is younger today than it was when Hartnell was in it.

But I fear this wont last, and it will be a short stay. We know the Moff wants to use up this 13 lives rule so he can do whatever he wants to secure the next 50 years of the show, his already tamped with the past and he wants to make sure his vision can't be changed. Sooner we get a new show runner the better.

The 13 lives "rule" was never set in stone, and was always likely to change. Once we're at the 14th then...would they just cancel the whole thing? No.

Whether Steven Moffat is in charge at the time or not is irrelevant. Someone will have to make that decision at some stage. I don't see that as tampering with the past, I see that as securing the future.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It was established as far back as The Five Doctors (thirty years ago - ouch, I feel ancient!) that it was possible to 're-boot' a Time-Lord's regeneration cycle, when Borusa offered the Master the chance of a new body in return for help finding the Doctor. And sure enough, in the Time War he did get a new regeneration cycle. So if it could be done for him, we can be sure they'll come up with a way for the same to happen for the Doctor.
We know the Moff wants to use up this 13 lives rule
I'm not sure where we 'know' that from, and it doesn't seem to fit the facts. The first lead-actor since Moffat took over the show lasted four years, and left at his own wish rather than the producer's. Four years is about the average tour-of-duty for anyone playing the Doctor, so I can't see much evidence of Moffat trying to rush anything.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I know they'll go beyond 13.. but that whole things needs to be addressed, it's been a major part of the show so they can't ignore it.

And i'm pretty sure the Moff wants to do that himself so he can establish 'his' Doctor who vision in the future, even when his gone.

Hurt's Doc is either going to jump all the other up a place, it's be pretty much confirmed h's between 8 and 9. (or it's solved with Moff get out of jail card the 'reset' button)

we'll see.
Bring back the evil clown circus!!!
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Mould! Not mold!

In any case, I think Capaldi is an excellent choice. Reflecting on this, and all the points made above (can't add anything else that hasn't been said yet), I can't think of anyone better, really.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

You can spell it either way in fact.
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Long as it gets us away from the james bond doc who and more towards the proper one wh doesn't have his assistants hit on him and have darker stories I'm all for this, I've hated who for a while because of this.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

So you're not a fan of the 3rd Doctor then? He was a bit of a James Bond type you could say. Plus what's a 'proper' one? Matt is very much like the 2nd, probably the most 'Doctor' since the revival.

I agree having him want to sleep with all his assistance it irrataing but I guess that's part of the times we live in.

Peter cushing was one of my favorites and I don't care if he doesn't count. lol
But then I Cushing fan, love Hammer horror.