Paul Flannery (Treguard) Q&A

For the discussion of Knightmare Live, the stage adaptation of Knightmare
TreguardLive
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Paul Flannery (Treguard) Q&A

Post by TreguardLive »

Hi,
Sorry I'm late I've been sanding the Helmet of Justice, not a euphemism. Thanks for all your support and comments regarding the Live show so far. I'd be happy to answer any questions you guys have?
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: Knightmare Live - Edinburgh - August 2013

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I have 3 questions. 1st one is I see that £6,000 needs to be raised for the project. What would happen if the amount can't be raised? Plus do you get anything if you contribute?

Last question - is there any plans for a UK tour if the project is a success?

Looking forward to your reply.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
TreguardLive
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by TreguardLive »

Hi,

The short answer is if the money isn't raised during the Kickstarter campaign I shall be in quite a lot of financial trouble. We knew early on that, in order to create a fun and theatrically impressive dungeon, we'd have to get a live set built. We didn't want to compromise, the dungeon is the star of the show after all.

There's a ton of cool rewards on the Kickstarter; We wanted to give out tangible items rather than just out heart felt thanks so we're producing a handbook to accompany the show, there's t-shirts, miniature helmets of justice or you can even treat yourself to THE helmet of Justice that we're using in the show!
So please pledge, share etc we really appreciate it.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... ge-for-the

There are certainly plans to tour the show after Edinburgh, at the moment there are no details on this as we're concentrating everything on the Festival. As soon as we know, I'll let you guys know first!
Insider
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Insider »

Will any of the quests be filmed?

I am also curious about how the staging will work. Just out of interest, will the dungeoneer finish up in one scene, blackout hits, some walls moved around etc. and when the lights come up they are in another totally different scene? Certainly sounds like an interesting concept.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Will there be an element of gameplay or is the dungeoneer merely a foil for a series of planned skits?

I'm assuming for practical reasons it's largely scripted with a predetermined route through the dungeon, but then live comedy is all about improv so maybe I'm wrong?

Will it be possible to 'win' or 'lose' the quests?
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
TreguardLive
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by TreguardLive »

Insider wrote:Will any of the quests be filmed?

I am also curious about how the staging will work. Just out of interest, will the dungeoneer finish up in one scene, blackout hits, some walls moved around etc. and when the lights come up they are in another totally different scene? Certainly sounds like an interesting concept.
Hi,

None of the shows will be filmed, lots of reasons. Let's go with; it'll never be as good as the live experience.

The stage is made up of custom built stage flats with archways cut into them. These archways can be covered to change the amount and location of doors... then we do some really fun things with it!

Basically that's what the Kickstarter is paying for, most of the team working on this production are doing so for free
TreguardLive
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by TreguardLive »

HobGoblin wrote:Will there be an element of gameplay or is the dungeoneer merely a foil for a series of planned skits?

I'm assuming for practical reasons it's largely scripted with a predetermined route through the dungeon, but then live comedy is all about improv so maybe I'm wrong?

Will it be possible to 'win' or 'lose' the quests?
Brilliant question! First person to ask.

The show will be a 50/50 split of gameplay with a storyline/mystery woven in. For obvious reasons, we can't have someone die in the first 5 minutes and then start again. Likewise if we've bought and built a huge room of blades set, we're going to use it!
It is possible to lose and there is more than one ending... no more shall I reveal!
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Paul Flannery (Treguard) Q&A

Post by Snowcat »

Just watched the show tonight and thoroughly enjoyed. Congrats to the whole cast, crew and team. :D

I'm a bit of backstage geek and love some of the "easter eggs" that can creep into things like this. So a couple of Questions about the props :-

It was mentioned that the chest (the wooden one ;) ) was a relic from the original Dungeon. Was this what held the first "Magic Mirror" in the early seasons?

The Mandolin that randomly appeared looked suspiciously like Ridolpho the Troubadors. Was it the same one we saw on screen?
TreguardLive
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by TreguardLive »

Hi,

The chest is the very one we see the team peering into yes.

The mandolin on the other hand is not. It's my own that was coincidentally made to look old and piratey for an acting job I did in the summer.

Cheers
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Hi, Paul. I hope you're having a good rest.

It seems from one of your tweets that you met Charlie Brooker in Edinburgh and told him about Knightmare Live. How did it go? He mentioned Knightmare on Screenwipe once: http://www.knightmare.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=2194

Am I right in thinking that Paul McGarrity replaced Warren Rusher as the goblin for the Edinburgh run after initially being an advisor?
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

sorry to hear about your friend who got ill during a show and some shows getting cancelled. is he ok? is he going to be there next year? If its the same guy that i remember then i remember very very clearly that he played pickle number two at my first ever knightmare convention. when i hadn't seen the show i'm sorry that my dad joe couldn't come to the show this year again. he is just very busy and I didn't get to the fringe to see anyone due to having a bad cold. i felt very honoured to look after pickle sort of chosen in a way and every time i see tv show pickle i remember him giving you some leather on a big screen. that was funny but it helped make you see that i was calling for help. i remember it now almost as if i was yesterday.
that was a brilliant time. i hope that pickle number two is ok and that he doesn't get fed to the goblins again. say hello to tim for me and hope to see the stage show in Edinburgh or Glasgow soon. how do i send a birthday card to tim and a get well soon card for your friend?
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."