Capaldi? At last the mold is broken.

Discussions of the classic british sci-fi show.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Capaldi? At last the mold is broken.

Post by HStorm »

Speaking for myself, I've never thought much of the Third Doctor. An action hero Doctor always seems a bit of lazy writing to me (similar story at times with the Fifth and Sixth Doctors whenever Eric Saward was script editing - tended to sidestep around the idea of the Doctor outwitting his opponents and just have him draw a gun and blow da muvvas away), less interesting than a shrewd, calculating Doctor.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

dugeoneerborne wrote:Long as it gets us away from the james bond doc who and more towards the proper one wh doesn't have his assistants hit on him and have darker stories I'm all for this, I've hated who for a while because of this.

They're all 'proper', just all a bit different ;) (with some similarities of course....)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Have to say the 3rd is my least favourite, followed by the 10th.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

wombstar wrote:Have to say the 3rd is my least favourite, followed by the 10th.
Controversial, there ;D
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

In the minority, not that I disliked him but I liked the others better.. someone has to come last or second from last in the list.. lol I thought 10 was too 'human'

What's worse is his my brothers doctor, lol he does the 10th look a like at many charity events and conventions, looks just like a younger version.
BBrooks
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by BBrooks »

HStorm wrote:A common complaint since the 'classic' series ended is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to tell one Doctor from the next - there are strong resemblances, it has been argued, between the eighth, ninth, tenth and eleventh Doctors, and several aspects in particular are that they have all been in the same age bracket, are all very tall, and all have dark hair.
I remember posting about this back in 2010 when Matt's first series was about to air, I can't believe how quickly them four years have gone. When The Doctor regenerates this time, those similarities will finally get burnt away for good and we'll witness the biggest physical transformation since Colin Baker into Sylvester McCoy. I've loved all of the Nu-Who Doctors though, in particular Christopher Eccleston who left just as he was getting REALLY good. Peter Capaldi is a brilliant choice, has anyone else noticed his resemblance to Edward Tudor-Pole (The Crystal Maze). ;D
Also, I'm not liking the amount of Third Doctor hate comments in this thread. :-) Jon Pertwee's Action Man style was a trend-setter for the DW episodes we get nowadays. But that's just my opinion, I'd love to see a Doctor with good fighting skills again!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Christopher Eccleston was great, wish he did another year, more disappointed he refused to return for the 50th.
TimeMaster
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by TimeMaster »

Just been watching re-runs of Christopher Eccleston's Doctor. How under rated is he?! I did love David Tennant's Doctor, but Christopher Eccleston has more of an edge to him.

Unfortunately I ended up giving up on Matt Smith's Doctor. :-[ It wasn't so much him - but the fact that if I missed one episode I found it hard to follow the overall story arc. Since Russell T Davies left the stories have become a lot more complicated.

I am intrigued by the casting of Peter Capaldi though and might give the series another go. It's great to cast an older Doctor - a hark back to the classic series and a realisation that the Doctor is more than just an action hero! :)
"Master, Master I know this place! It's the Place of Choice!"
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

wouldn't call them complicated, I think they're trying to be too clever at times and it doesn't work. starting to get a bit repetitive now however.
fluttermoth
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by fluttermoth »

There are a few things I haven't like about Matt Smith's era, although I do quite like his doctor.

The story arcs are too overpowering, IMO. I rewatched Eccleston's series recently and it was a joy to spot the tiny Bad Wolf hints; you didn't even need to get them all to enjoy the pulling together at the end. As Timemaster says, now the arc is more 'in your face' than each story; I find it makes them more uniform; each series melds into an amorphous whole, rather than each story having it's own character.

I'm also finding the constant cranking up of the threats in each series; the end of time, the end of the universe, the end of all universes, the end of absolutely everything, a bit wearing. Sometimes Who was at it's best doing small things and letting the characters and story breathe a bit. That's true, even in new Who, when you consider how popular stories like 'Midnight' and 'Blink' are in fandom.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

There's no problem with having an intricate story arc, per se. For me, the problem is that the story arc has almost become a substitute for quality. Most individual episodes of Dr. Who since the revival have varied between awful and mediocre, with only an occasional gem in the mix. But there's still a compulsion to keep watching simply because you're drawn to follow the story arc to see where it leads. The series has been playing on that from quite early in the RTD run - probably starting with the desperately unsubtle "Torchwood" references in David Tennant's first year - keeping an audience chasing the carrot-on-a-string without really giving them very much on the way.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

I found the constant Torchwood references a bit grating. After the whole "Bad Wolf" revelation at the end of Series 1, it was clear that there was going to be a repeated phrase at some point during Series 2. This time we were ready for it and it became a bit too obvious.

I actually quite like individual stories, and I like them more than story arcs. I think Steven Moffat, whatever you think of him, has lost the exciting edge he used to have when writing individual episodes of Who. Here he's trying to be too clever, keep us guessing and keep us watching, when usually I want Who to give us a cracking good adventure that's resolved in an exciting way and then move on.

My favourite episodes are things like Blink, Midnight, Gridlock and some two-parters like The Sontaran Strategem / The Poison Sky and The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit (actual sci-fi there!), which follow this sort of pattern: a threat, maybe a monster, a bit of intrigue, action, drama, scares and a resolution. What I've noticed Moffat's been doing since the beginning of Series 7: Part 2 is basically forcing us to watch the next episode, in case one of the random plot strings he keeps making up is explained!

By comparison, I really liked Series 7: Part 1. Easily digestible, individual stories, well written and following a very loose arc that didn't really matter too much. For episodes like Dinosaurs On A Spaceship, you can just watch Who without worrying too much, and that's good entertainment!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Okay, so I've been staying out of here for the simple reason I'm a big old softy who loves all the Doctors the same (although I am pretty damn happy to see Capaldi stepping in finally! I've wanted him to do something Who-ish for ages so the main show makes me a very happy maid!)

I'm also a massive fan of the single and arced episodes, although I have to say the River Song thing pees me right off. Mainly because why have her FLIRT with her own mother for good lord's sakes? Or her father for that matter? Just... icky.
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"