Online episodes

Discussion about Knightmare in youtube's Geek Week.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Re: Online episodes

Post by wombstar »

Downloading isn't really an option for us, it would take at least an hour if connection is ok.

And most shows on tv are online anyway, so why not broadcast it on tv and have a catch up function? pretty much every channel does it, and you can watch live tv via the net anyway.

Another fear is it being picked up by a sky channel, don't have sky.

There is a possibility the bbc picking it up I guess, and giving it a prime time slot on a Friday evening or something? For the bbc it would be a cheap show and license fee put to good use. lol plus out of all the online streaming serves iplayer works the best.. in the middle of the night at least :P
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I don't think it's a cheap show for the BBC either.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

[Some posts that added nothing to this discussion have been deleted and taken offline]
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Given that the BBC has an annual income if £3.5 billion from the licence fee it is stating the obvious to say it could afford to produce KM if it didn't produce other things. But let's not lose sight of the fact that the BBC is a public service and what it chooses to produce is based on an extremely complicated range of factors designed to ensure value for money for the licence fee payer is maximised. Each slot on each channel is carefully planned to reach particular age groups, socio-economic groups etc. It has to balance each of its three core purposes of entertaining, educating and informing. Making a profit is not a consideration.

Thinking about a BBC KM, we should think about similar shows which target similar audiences. I've said before that the BBC One Sat night fantasy, family slot might work - think Dr Who. Merlin...

These are v expensive shows however and are co funded by the BBCs commercial arm. BBC Worldwide is prepared to invest in such productions because they make a lot of money overseas, especially in America.

KM could be such a brand with the right support but, frankly, its a long shot.

But just because the BBC has cash don't assume it fan spend money on whatever it likes - it is subject to a robust regulatory framework and strict public service targets/objectives.

For what its worth I personally think KM, being a cerebral show with family appeal, could fit into that framework somewhere.
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

HobGoblin wrote:Given that the BBC has an annual income if £3.5 billion from the licence fee it is stating the obvious to say it could afford to produce KM if it didn't produce other things. But let's not lose sight of the fact that the BBC is a public service and what it chooses to produce is based on an extremely complicated range of factors designed to ensure value for money for the licence fee payer is maximised. Each slot on each channel is carefully planned to reach particular age groups, socio-economic groups etc. It has to balance each of its three core purposes of entertaining, educating and informing. Making a profit is not a consideration.

Thinking about a BBC KM, we should think about similar shows which target similar audiences. I've said before that the BBC One Sat night fantasy, family slot might work - think Dr Who. Merlin...

These are v expensive shows however and are co funded by the BBCs commercial arm. BBC Worldwide is prepared to invest in such productions because they make a lot of money overseas, especially in America.

KM could be such a brand with the right support but, frankly, its a long shot.

But just because the BBC has cash don't assume it fan spend money on whatever it likes - it is subject to a robust regulatory framework and strict public service targets/objectives.

For what its worth I personally think KM, being a cerebral show with family appeal, could fit into that framework somewhere.
Nice summary, as always, Mr HobGoblin :)

I'd be inclined to agree that the "BBC One Sat night fantasy, family slot" as you've called it, might work. The only thing I'd note is that the shows that usually occupy this slot would appear to be pure dramatisations versus the gameshow/dramatisation hybrid that is Knightmare. Additionally, do you think that Knightmare lends itself to overseas sales? Personally, I'm struggling to see the US networks accepting a UK gameshow showing British people. Furthermore, would Knightmare survive dubbing in the same way that, e.g. Merlin might?

I'm sure there's an article in there somewhere :D
Oh! Oh! Someone should try dubbing Chevalier! :)
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Mystara wrote:I'd be inclined to agree that the "BBC One Sat night fantasy, family slot" as you've called it, might work. The only thing I'd note is that the shows that usually occupy this slot would appear to be pure dramatisations versus the gameshow/dramatisation hybrid that is Knightmare.
Mind you, gameshows and quizzes of various kinds are also a major element of BBC1's Saturday evening schedule, so a programme that appeals to the gameshow audience AND the fantasy audience could sit fairly comfortably there...
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Yes, very true.

Maybe it would even pull in more audiences than any single one type of show would? Hard to say since, I don't believe there's anything quite like the hybrid of Knightmare except other Tim Child shows :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

But it depends on how much it would cost to produce, I would *guess* it's cost is cheaper then Merlin or Doctor who. For a 'game show' it's expensive but then it's so much more than a game show.

It's certainly not out of the realms of possibility, . As I said before on post that's been deleted, Tim had worked with the bbc in the past Time Busters was on bbc 2 so they might be quite interested in being part of a Knightmare revival.

I thought id just bring it up for discussing.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Mystara wrote:
I'm struggling to see the US networks accepting a UK gameshow showing British people.
I agree - US networks do tend to license formats and remake them rather than simply buy the rights to existing series. Still, even that could potentially bankroll a UK version (like 'Dancing with the Stars' is an overseas version of Strictly - over 40 versions exist, all pumping some money back into BBC Worldwide).

Also, without wishing to generalise, it seems the US has a weakness for 'British' style medieval fantasy (some might say due to the fact that the US has no history of its own. Not me of course.)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

LOL
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

gameshows and quizzes of various kinds are also a major element of BBC1's Saturday evening schedule, so a programme that appeals to the gameshow audience AND the fantasy audience could sit fairly comfortably there
Saturday night gameshow slot...? I'm suddenly getting disturbing images in my head of KM as the National Lottery supplement, with Treguard handing us over to the Lottery HQ, Dale Winton-style, after every second chamber.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, I have no doubt whatever that the Lottery folks could afford it.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

HStorm wrote:
gameshows and quizzes of various kinds are also a major element of BBC1's Saturday evening schedule, so a programme that appeals to the gameshow audience AND the fantasy audience could sit fairly comfortably there
Saturday night gameshow slot...? I'm suddenly getting disturbing images in my head of KM as the National Lottery supplement, with Treguard handing us over to the Lottery HQ, Dale Winton-style, after every second chamber.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you, I have no doubt whatever that the Lottery folks could afford it.
Ha! It would be a bit random but I would love to see that!
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
UnclePob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by UnclePob »

Am I the only one terrified of the prospect of the BBC getting Knightmare?

They're large and powerful, especially with the Worldwide arm (which would certainly provide easy worldwide marketing opportunities, as well as DVD releases), but I fear the BBC would try to slowly seize control over the show itself and heavily influence it's content. A BBC-ised Knightmare, to me, simply wouldn't be Knightmare.

Knightmare has always been a product of ITV, so of course they should have first priority to broadcast a new series, but Challenge has been very kind to the show in giving the original series a platform. I'm wary of Channel 4 and 5, but they are similar enough in nature to ITV for the Knightmare format to fit right.

I just don't want the BBC Director General (or anyone else 'high-up') trying to buy the series flat-out or giving direct orders to the production team concerning length, content or anything else. There's no need to sanitize the show. I've no idea whether there's truly any danger of this, but I am fearful.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

You could say that about a commercial channel as well though. I don't like the idea of advertisers potentially interfering in production either, which could happen too. In the end, any channel that broadcasts the show is the 'customer' of the production team, and so any channel has the potential to interfere.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Don't see why anyone would be 'terrified' of a BBC produced KM!

ITV would be far more likely to ruin it by making it a celebrity show or something. The sorts of changes the Beeb might make would be to ensure a few black faces in the cast ie positive changes. I dont see why it would sanitize the show - Dr Who can be pretty scary/gruesome. Looking back I'm actually amazed that ITV made such an intelligent show - at its most unforgiving it was basically kids TV's version of Only Connect!

A new KM is always going to be different wherever it ends up as it's highly unlikely to be a children's show and would probably be longer than half an hour an ep. So if you want it to return, accept the principle of change!

That all said, I think it unlikely that ITV would give up the show if they thought it could be successful. Not many shows have transferred from ITV to the BBC - I can think of one - Men Behaving Badly! And ITV gave up on that cos it was awful - the Beeb made it a success by making significant changes.

There's nothing wrong with KM's format so this is unlikely to happen. Unless people can think of shows that were already successful when they moved to the Beeb?