Online episodes

Discussion about Knightmare in youtube's Geek Week.
UnclePob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Online episodes

Post by UnclePob »

HStorm wrote:You could say that about a commercial channel as well though. I don't like the idea of advertisers potentially interfering in production either, which could happen too. In the end, any channel that broadcasts the show is the 'customer' of the production team, and so any channel has the potential to interfere.
I never realized the advertisers really had any pull over the content of the actual shows, though I do understand they can choose which shows they want their products or services to be advertised alongside and occasionally sponsor.

I've always imagined there was a far greater risk that ITV or the majority of satellite channels, would suddenly stop commissioning a programme in favor of something else rather than become directly involved in the production process - though saying it like that suddenly reminds me of the original cancellation of Knightmare, which makes me fear that history could repeat.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I don't think there is anything to fear from the BBC. They did have Time Busters remember.

But the more I think about it the current format might not work on this Saturday night family slot, someone else raised a very good point about how the show might change to suite that slot. I think BBC TWO would be a better home. Knightamre still has a 'cult' following I think, it's seems common place to associate it with 'geek culture' and it's quite an intellectual show I suppose, So it's current format which is perfect wouldn't feel out of place on bbc 2.

When bbc 2 is home to shows like QI, Science club for example Knightamre wouldn't be out of place, (and those shows do have pretty good ratings, well I watch them lol)

I agree it wouldn't sell in the US. But they could have another go at making their version.. thankfully we wouldn't have to watch it.. lol (been watching those Spanish/French versions on youtube... 8-o )

It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
UnclePob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by UnclePob »

wombstar wrote:I don't think there is anything to fear from the BBC. They did have Time Busters remember.

But the more I think about it the current format might not work on this Saturday night family slot, someone else raised a very good point about how the show might change to suite that slot. I think BBC TWO would be a better home. Knightamre still has a 'cult' following I think, it's seems common place to associate it with 'geek culture' and it's quite an intellectual show I suppose, So it's current format which is perfect wouldn't feel out of place on bbc 2.

When bbc 2 is home to shows like QI, Science club for example Knightamre wouldn't be out of place, (and those shows do have pretty good ratings, well I watch them lol)

I agree it wouldn't sell in the US. But they could have another go at making their version.. thankfully we wouldn't have to watch it.. lol (been watching those Spanish/French versions on youtube... 8-o )

Why would Knightmare being on BBC2 prevent the show being exported to the US any more than if it were broadcast on BBC1? As long as the BBC have broadcast and distribution rights to the series, and there's a market overseas, there shouldn't be a problem for BBC Worldwide to bring the show to the US regardless of which channel it's shown on in the UK.

And in the situation where the BBC can't or won't export the show, wouldn't Time Child and DungeonMaster Ltd (presumably) retain the ability to do so themselves? There's always that option, and considering the US is currently enjoying a number of British shows, there's a hunger for British programming so they would no-doubt welcome the original version completely unchanged.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

"Why would Knightmare being on BBC2 prevent the show being exported to the US any more than if it were broadcast on BBC1?"

How did you come to this conclusion? I never said anything of the sort.
I said BBC 2 might be the more appropriate than BBC 1, for the reasons that Mystara expressed earlier in the discussion.
UnclePob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by UnclePob »

wombstar wrote:"Why would Knightmare being on BBC2 prevent the show being exported to the US any more than if it were broadcast on BBC1?"

How did you come to this conclusion? I never said anything of the sort.
I said BBC 2 might be the more appropriate than BBC 1, for the reasons that Mystara expressed earlier in the discussion.
It was this paragraph that led me to that conclusion:
wombstar wrote:I agree it wouldn't sell in the US. But they could have another go at making their version.. thankfully we wouldn't have to watch it.. lol (been watching those Spanish/French versions on youtube... 8-o )
I'm maybe reading between the lines here way too much. You mentioned the US making their own version, just after you pointed out the show wouldn't sell in the US - surely if the US were wanting to make a version, given the current era post Doctor Who, wouldn't they prefer the original version, British charm intact?

I got a bit confused, and so considered that you may be saying the BBC can't or won't export BBC2 programming for some reason. That's the only way I can think of where there would be a good marketing opportunity that can't be catered for, though it would be the first I'd heard of this, and considering your response to my post, completely incorrect to begin with :)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Nah I just meant BBC2 might be a better home than BBC1.

As for the US.. I dunno if they would want to see a British game show with British contestants? Do any original uk game shows currently air in the US?
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

If anything I think BBC 3 would be the best of the BBC channels to show Knightmare. Overall though online is the best bet after seeing how well the geek week episode went.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

The BBC Three target demographic is 16-34 and I wouldn't want it to lose its appeal to children. That's why I think a family show would be better. BBC Three tries very hard to be young and trendy and I can't really see KM fitting in there unless they made awful changes to the tone of the show!

To be honest I just can't imagine my fav ever tv show on a channel I find largely unwatchable!

I fear that only BBC One would have the money to do the show justice and then only with some commercial funding as well. But perhaps the S9 in my head is unrealistically high budget. :)
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

HobGoblin wrote:The BBC Three target demographic is 16-34 and I wouldn't want it to lose its appeal to children. That's why I think a family show would be better. BBC Three tries very hard to be young and trendy and I can't really see KM fitting in there unless they made awful changes to the tone of the show!

To be honest I just can't imagine my fav ever tv show on a channel I find largely unwatchable!

I fear that only BBC One would have the money to do the show justice and then only with some commercial funding as well. But perhaps the S9 in my head is unrealistically high budget. :)
That's why I said BBC 3 because of the age range you mentioned. There would be more potential for Knightmare to fit into the schedule too I think.

It also depends on the target audience the series would aim at. If it were to be a family show, maybe it could be on BBC 1 or 2 but it would have to be on late morning or early afternoon (upto 3 or 4). I can't see it working as an evening programme because I don't think it would fit in with the schedule. Plus I think it would have to be on a Sunday as it could attract a better audience.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I don't agree that online it the best way, In my opinion that would be a step down.

BBC 3 I would think is the least likely, most of the stuff they show seems a bit juvenile. BBC 2 gives us the best of both worlds. Trouble with the family slot on BBC1 we don't want it to be become a Total wipe out type.

It seems ITV or channel 4 being the most realistic. (Dunno about C5, unlikely)

Personally I think if there is a series 9 and it's on tv it will return to ITV, in all honesty I can't see it anywhere else.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Ideally it should be on ITV as obviously that's where Knightmare was shown. Again though would it fit into the schedule? I'm not sure.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I don't really understand that question.
The schedule always changes, the same shows aren't on all year round.
If they want it they will fit it into the schedule, other wise nothing new would air.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:I don't really understand that question.
The schedule always changes, the same shows aren't on all year round.
If they want it they will fit it into the schedule, other wise nothing new would air.
What I meant was is the type of programmes they show. Would Knightmare fit in alongside programmes like x factor? No. The point I'm trying to make is I can't see any particular timeslot they could fit it in to. I would love to see Knightmare on ITV more than any other channel but I can't see where they could fit it in.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

I agree, ITV has dumbed down a lot since the mid-90's.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.