Thanks

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
malibupete
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Thanks

Post by malibupete »

Just wanted to pop in to say thanks and congratulations to Alan, James and the rest of the crew for putting on a really nice little event today. The talks were fun/illuminating, there were some nice bits of merch around, the dungeon room thing went really well and the guests were utterly generous and obliging - particularly impressed by Mr Myatt, who was going out of his way to chat to fans and proved himself a gentleman. I hope everyone staying for/going to tomorrow's event has as pleasant a time as I did :)
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Re: Thanks and convention initial thoughts

Post by HobGoblin »

I'd like to second that thanks.

Unfortunately I had to travel to South Wales this weekend for a funeral and I was in two minds about whether it was worth the trip to Norwich for just a few hours at the convention. I eventually decided I couldn't miss this opportunity and even though I had to leave at 1500 I still managed to have an absolute blast.

The US pilot was much better than I'd dared hope - just the right level of Americanisation whilst keeping the feel of the British version. I do, however, feel that the format loses something fundamental when quests are resolved one way or the other within a half hour programme...

The extended geek week ep was fun - a couple of new rooms including a causeway and wall monster made it feel even more like the show we loved back in the day. I even liked the team better this time around, possibly because I'm now taking this episode in the spirit it was intended and being a bit less precious about how the show should feel.

Donning the helmet and having a go in the dungeon was a highlight, not just of the day, but possibly of my life! A real dream come true. It was an immensely enjoyable and remarkably tense experience - and this when it wasn't even for real! I'm ashamed to say my fitness was also put to the test!

Sadly, timings meant I didn't meet Hugo but Mark and Cliff were great fun (though my wife good-naturedly concluded that Mark was "a bit of a perv" ;D ) and Dave Rowe is a thoroughly nice chap as well (and I'm pleased he's now getting the recognition he deserves because his work on KM was brilliant).

I only got to see the first Q&A - lots of interesting things discussed but I won't go into them now as it's way past my bedtime.

Looking around the convention it was plain to see how much KM means to people and how special this event was to them. I know exactly how they felt and am pleased I could be even just a small part of it. Jolly well done Alan and the team.

I look forward to the DVD to see all the things I missed. :)
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Karinsky
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Thanks

Post by Karinsky »

Hi guys.

Think I might have missed something but how can I access the photo shoots? I hope I haven't messed something up. I didn't think of it until I got home :(

Big thumbs up to the crew for putting on an awesome weekend, really sad it's over and have to get back to 'normal' (booooo) Being sliced by a blade was knightmare come true lol the whole thing was just fantastic.

The live show was great too, bit difficult to see if you weren't in the first three rows but it was still a good giggle.
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Hello, so I promised to let you all know I'd got home and such so.... yes I did thanks everyone. <3

Another MASSIVE thanks for one of the best conventions I've ever been to. Here's hoping we'll get to do it again :)
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

It's just one of those bizarre events where you get back home and can't quite believe what's just happened. Maybe because it's past 4am and the total amount of sleep I've had in the past 60+ hours amounts to about five, but I feel like I've just dreamt the entire weekend.

Meeting half the forum - some of which I've known and chatted with online on and off for the last fourteen years yet never actually meeting them before - was worth the trip to Norwich on its own. To see Lords of the Game, something once the subject of comedy fan documentaries and that I'd convinced myself probably didn't even exist anymore. The extended Geek Week pilot that takes what we saw in August and makes it a ton better, adding whole wall monsters and rooms and crucially technically tighter, without the occasional jarring edits of the cut-down version. To be in the actual original studios where they filmed it all in the first place, standing there any imagining every single cast member, contestant etc, every antechamber set, moment, it all happened in this room and all stood on this floor.

Oh hang on, because there's also a massive blue screen there, both original Helmet of Justices and the Eye Shield. How about being in a few rooms of the show and playing the Corridor of Blades as advisor and dungeoneer in a team made up completely of Knightmare Forum veterans and having your photograph taken for EDP? Striding confidently into the blue only to feel your heart-rate jump up rapidly as the blades increase, only to inevitably meet your death and realise that the teams who actually got through it were bloody good and I'm not just saying that because of who organised it.

And then yeah maybe MEET TREGUARD AND LORD FEAR AND LISSARD AND RAPTOR AND BROTHER STRANGE AND ROTHBERRY AND AH WOK AND SIR HUGH AND SIDRISS AND MALDAME AND GREYSTAGG AND TIM CHILD AND DAVID ROWE. And get pictures of them, autographs, find to your relief that every one - Hugo, Mark, Iona, Cliff, Tim and David - are, thankfully, awesome people and polite to all. Eating, drinking or just generally chilling with them, no barrier between them and you, no nerves or feelings of inferiority from you or superiority from them - just the giddy feeling that you're actually "in a room" - a very special room - with a group of people who made the show happen and exist. Never, ever, did I ever thought I'd ever get to meet any of them. One would be a life highlight. All? Just...wow.

Not only did I get all of the above to sign my program - something with joins the pilot script as my most treasured KM possession - but at the back I have a special Knightmare Community page featuring as many forum members as I could track down adding their lovely messages to the book. Having been embarrassingly inefficient in promoting the damn thing, not even successfully getting the weekend off work until a few days ago, the least I could do was help out as a Crew member which turned out to be a fantastic choice, the feeling of genuinely being part of it both front and backstage was immensely rewarding and I now own (two!) t-shirts and my mug with pride.

And then there's Lord Fear's Midnight Hunt, which, well, was an experience. :P I can say, at least, that I've now 'acted' in a scene with the genuine Lord Fear, even if it consisted of running round Norwich late at night in a goblin mask pretending to kill people to the bemusement of the general intoxicated locals coming out of pubs. Will always remember some of the reactions.

Just...WHAT? That seriously all just happened? In a community that, as much as I love it, I really thought by the year 2012 had given almost all it had to offer. In all the years I've been posting on this and previous generations of forum, more goodness in the community has happened in the last year and a half than, for me, the twelve prior to that. Last year seemed virtually impossible to match with its Geek Week pilot, repeats and Knightmare Live success. I cannot believe this convention just happened and I'm flabbergasted to think I was there and part of it.

To all the forumers I properly met (including those who had no idea who I was, or perhaps ones who've only just joined now) it was fantastic to meet you. For those not - and there were a fairly surprising number of you I didn't actually see there - am hoping you'll be at a future event. And still I can't believe all that just happened.

The only way is...yeah.
dogmanjack
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by dogmanjack »

Thanks everyone. Fun stuff. I actually fell asleep in the corridor (after being kept awake in my hotel by screaming patrons) and was accidentally woken up by Tregard! How weird is that!
Just found out that David Rowe did a cover for Madden, so now doubly glad to have met him, and the rest!
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

The weekend was bloody awesomesauce, even if my satchel got a bit of battering action ;D
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

The satchel battering action was part of the fun wasn't it?
"you should be able to hear from my voice that I'm terribly pretty, now DO you think I'm pretty?"
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Gretl wrote:The satchel battering action was part of the fun wasn't it?
Oh yes indeedy, I was chuffed the Eyeshield and the original Helmet of Justice made an appearance :green:
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

Gundrada wrote:
Oh yes indeedy, I was chuffed the Eyeshield and the original Helmet of Justice made an appearance :green:
Me too, slightly jealous of the guy/girl who owns them... even if I did gain an enormous spider...
Gundrada
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gundrada »

Gretl wrote:
Gundrada wrote:
Me too, slightly jealous of the guy/girl who owns them... even if I did gain an enormous spider...
...with a broken leg... ;D
Gretel
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Gretel »

More like with 5 broken legs by the end of it all >.<
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

I loved the convention!

Some people here will know me as Sophie from the IRC chat. I don't really talk much in the forums and tend to miss out on the Sunday chats, sadly, but I'm very glad I went because I've been a fan of Knightmare since it was first shown in the 80's and 90's and have known about the site since the Bring Back Knightmare campaign. I really need to hang around the forum more!

It was lovely meeting everybody and seeing just how vibrant and active the community still is, even after all this time. The one low point of the whole thing was learning that there had still been spaces left for Knightmare Live after I had already planned my weekend and booked train travel and hotel stay. I arrived at 11pm or so on the Friday, meaning I wasn't able to book any tickets for KM Live. :(

But still, meeting Hugo Myatt, Iona Kennedy, Mark Knight and David Rowe was a great experience! (I exclude Clifford Barry and Tim Child from that list only because I didn't have the chance to talk to them myself except to ask questions in the Q&A sessions.) And of course meeting Alan Boyd too, though I think I may have unintentionally annoyed him during the Midnight Hunt. Mystara, if you're reading this, I apologise if I was annoying!

All in all, though, a great day, and I'd love it if this was able to be a regular thing. :D
deviantgent
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by deviantgent »

Well, that was a bit of all-right and no mistake. Cannot wait for the official pics, Dungeon Room footage and DVD to come out. Plus I haven't been this creatively galvanised in FOREVER. Some serious projects are getting brainstormed right now, yes indeedy...
The Dunshelm Players - Audio Plays with a Knightmare flavour
Alex_Smith
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Alex_Smith »

Billy has summed up the whole experience perfectly. To meet as many people as I did was just amazing, considering I've been speaking to some of you on and off for 15 years. It's made me realise just how much fun I had in the early days of the forum, discovering I wasn't the only one that loved Knightmare as much as I did. Being at the convention made me feel like that again, and I couldn't have asked for a better day. I am going to try to be to be around a lot more now and I hope to meet you all again some day.

To everyone involved in putting this together, and running it, just - thank you.

Thank you so much.