Knightmare references in games

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by darkDescender »

Super Mario Galaxy, recently released on Wii features a Dreadnaught Galaxy as one of the levels.
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Knightmare references

Post by Pooka »

Mee-ow! ;)

Okay. There's a level in Super Mario Galaxy which is kinda Knightmaresque, if not inspired by the actual show itself (but I don't think it is).

The level is the navigation of a galaxy with shifting, disappearing and reappearing terrain. The choice of paths reminds me of the Stained Glass Window room. The holes that you can fall down are reminiscent of... well, if you actually want me to finish this sentence, you haven't watches Knightmare.

Also, during the intro sequence to the game, fireballs rain down on the Mushroom Kingdom. Bowser also spits them at you. They're fireballs, rather than just fire.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Knightmare references

Post by JamesA »

I played Super Mario Galaxy 2 yesterday - and during the introduction I noticed this particular opening line (found the exact thing on Youtube - click here to see for yourself).

Was it making a gesture towards the opening scene of Series 3 Episode 6, seeing as that particular item was one of the objects in the clue room?
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

So, what did I bizarrely end up finding and playing just a couple of days before the show's 25th anniversary:

This.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
DJones
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DJones »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Dark Souls was released a couple of years ago and has the following;

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/skeleton - note the first line of the description

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/skeleton-beast - picture says it all, really
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Not sure if anyone's already pointed this out but I've been playing the original Tomb Raider recently (v good version on the App Store) and the game is very Knightmarish at times! Put Lara in 'walk' mode and she moves just like a dungeoneer - she even side-steps!

The St Francis Folly level where Lara has to descend a tower negotiating trap rooms is possibly the best realisation of what KM would be like in 'real life' (if you see what I mean!).

Given the genre it's not unreasonable KM influenced TR's designers in some way - TR was a bit of a game changer in '96 so I like think KM played its part in the evolution of gaming as we know it :)

Incidentally, I have similar issues with TR in that the early, claustrophobic, underground locations of the first game were replaced by less atmospheric locales in later years (such as having Lara run round the Great Wall of China).
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

HobGoblin wrote:I've been playing the original Tomb Raider recently (v good version on the App Store) and the game is very Knightmarish at times! Put Lara in 'walk' mode and she moves just like a dungeoneer - she even side-steps!
I flipping loved Tomb Raider! The floor spikes were very Knightmare-esque. :) Come to think of it, I think the levers puzzle on the Midas level might have inspired a room in my Knightmare fanfic, though I forget whether it was deliberate or not.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Knightmare references in games

Post by Drassil »

Knightmare has oversized skulls with huge limbs. It also has floating skulls.

The game Terraria has a floating oversized skull with huge limbs. Called a skeletron.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Knightmare references in games

Post by Drassil »

The game Beyond a Steel Sky features a character called Pixel. He says that his name "rhymes with Pickle".