Pledging allegiance to the Dark Side

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
FaveWorstKnightmare
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Pledging allegiance to the Dark Side

Post by FaveWorstKnightmare »

When asked by an arch villainy Mogdred / Malice type character whether to pledge allegiance, various teams gave different answers:

Mark's team in Series 2 said NO to Mogdred and went on to win.

Stuart's team in Series 2 said YES to Mogdred, were given a power spell, but died through unrelated circumstances.

Julian's team in Series 2 said NO to Mogdred and went on to win.

Dicken's team in Series 4 said YES to Malice and went on to win.

Does anybody know if there was actually a wrong answer to this question? Did it come up in any other episodes I haven't revisited yet? I don't recall the question being posed during Lord Fear's reign of terror but I stand to be corrected.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Pledging allegiance to the Dark Side

Post by Pooka »

AFAIK Dickon rescinded his pledge to Malice and still went on to win.

It's interesting to see that neither Mogdred nor Malice immediately killed either dungeoneer who said no to begin with - Mogdred said something about continuing on "unaided" to Julian (I think - although he said something similar to Mark, if memory serves correctly), proven when he gave POWER to Stuart.

My guess is that POWER is a backfiring spell and would have had an adverse effect upon the dungeoneer (cf. GLORY from Series 3), but other than that the "pledge" option wouldn't have had much of an impact - it was mostly to make the team (and Watchers) nervous, and to give Mogdred and Malice a degree of omnipotence.

I do wonder what would have happened to Dickon had he not rescinded his allegiance, considering that their quest is for truth and justice. It'd be rather churlish to kill them off in the trophy room (or during the final encounter), but they may have had to!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Did Stuart's team actually say yes to Mogdred? As I recall, he never gave them a chance to answer. I think Dickon was the only dungeoneer who actually said yes to a villain, before changing his mind when asked again later.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

No, Stuart's team did say yes to Mogdred's offer. It was Leo's team in season 3 who were given the GLORY spell without getting a chance to refuse.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Oh yeah! Just watched that scene again and they do mutter "Yes" very quietly - I'd never noticed that before, I thought Mogdred just carried on talking before they had a chance to discuss it. Didn't realise they were so keen to join the dark side that they didn't bother discussing it! ;D Well, that's interesting.
Skarkill
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Skarkill »

I don't think there was a right or wrong ansrew to the 'pledge allegiance to the dark side' question per say, I think the 'wrong' move in regards to it would be trusting any 'aid' or spell that Mogdred/Malice would give to the Dungoneer.

(But from a Personal perspective as a proud Opposition member I don't see why you wouldn't want to be on the Dark side of the spectrum in Knightmare alliances >:-] )