OK guys, creepiest spyglass sequence?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
ClaireFearsBlades32
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

OK guys, creepiest spyglass sequence?

Post by ClaireFearsBlades32 »

For me it has to be the one from Alex's quest in Series 7. Lord fear n lissard are talking about how they captured hordriss with "anodes of power" and they say how unlikely it is that a dungeoneer can rescue him... Then stare down the camera TOGETHER. Gives me the creeps every time.

Which Lord F sequence gives you the chills?
It's only a game, isn't it?
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Re: OK guys, creepiest spyglass sequence?

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I'd say the one from Matt's quest from s6 episode 2. When Lord Fear cottons on he has been spied on, the tense music plays and Lord Fear puts his hand in the pool. Then you see a large hand trying to grab Matt!! That did scare me at the time as he had not this before!! ;D
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
ClaireFearsBlades32
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

pjmlfc05 wrote:I'd say the one from Matt's quest from s6 episode 2. When Lord Fear cottons on he has been spied on, the tense music plays and Lord Fear puts his hand in the pool. Then you see a large hand trying to grab Matt!! That did scare me at the time as he had not this before!! ;D
Yes the ones with his hand in the pool are always good, the one where his hand chases Alan around in S6 is funny. It takes the team a while to work out what to do.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

ClaireFearsBlades32 wrote:For me it has to be the one from Alex's quest in Series 7. Lord fear n lissard are talking about how they captured hordriss with "anodes of power" and they say how unlikely it is that a dungeoneer can rescue him... Then stare down the camera TOGETHER. Gives me the creeps every time.
Oh yes, I love that one! The scariest ones for me were always from Series 5, when his eyes glowed red at the end. Especially in episode 11 (Alex) and episode 15 (Kelly), where he's kind of searching around and then stares into the camera suddenly when he's located them!
ClaireFearsBlades32
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Canadanne wrote:
ClaireFearsBlades32 wrote:For me it has to be the one from Alex's quest in Series 7. Lord fear n lissard are talking about how they captured hordriss with "anodes of power" and they say how unlikely it is that a dungeoneer can rescue him... Then stare down the camera TOGETHER. Gives me the creeps every time.
Oh yes, I love that one! The scariest ones for me were always from Series 5, when his eyes glowed red at the end. Especially in episode 11 (Alex) and episode 15 (Kelly), where he's kind of searching around and then stares into the camera suddenly when he's located them!
Yes the glowing eye ones are good! Mark is great with all his characters but really shines in the spyglass sections. He had all the best lines, granted. But his delivery was excellent.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Merry Christmas forumers!

I'd say the eyeglass sequences were used for a good variety of emotions which could have you panicking one moment and laughing the next.

On the humour side I enjoyed the Monopoly sequence and Lord F's treatment of Lissard as Marta.

Creepy wise, the eyes have it as the Speaker of the House may put it. Particularly it looked initially as though they may affect us audience just as much as the spyer!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

For me, the earliest spyglass scenes were the creepiest, when both spying itself and Lord Fear were new. As Series 5 went on, it became more obvious that Lord Fear couldn't do much against dungeoneers simply putting down the spyglass (how much unseen footage resulted from this?), and the promise of sending frightknights after the dungeoneers became an empty one. (Perhaps the Dreadnort in Series 6 was intended to make up for that.) Having Lord Fear sitting on his backside in every scene for an entire series was, in my opinion, detrimental to the character, and reduced any spyglass creepiness even further. As Brett has suggested in a recent post, they could be seen as too formulaic:
s4t8brett wrote:I didn't dislike Lord Fear in the later series, but I found the constant spying scenes a bit annoying and trivial after a while, even though you can understand the production team wanting to introduce a counter-narrative to make the game more exciting.
By Series 7, the production team seemed to be embracing spyglass scenes as dramatic interludes and plot devices, rather than trying to make them menacing. Arguably, this approach made best use of Mark Knight's acting talents. Possibly, though, having specific "it's spyglass time and here he is, Looord Feeear!" incidental music in Series 8 was taking things too far.
ClaireFearsBlades32
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Good point Drassil I think they were a bit overdone in s8 almost like comedy performances but good use of the spyglass in S6 and S7 for plot cues.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

"Somewhere in the Greenwood...? No... Wolfenden." That was very creepy, almost like a "search-and locate; lock-and-load; target-sighted" interlude.

I'm with Robin on the Dungeon Monopoly scene being one of the funniest. Perhaps one of the most amusing bits of Knightmare.

Not strictly a spyglass scene, but I like the pre-credits teaser before Series 7 starts, with LF bantering back-and-forth with Lissard. He's at his ascerbic best there.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
ClaireFearsBlades32
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

The series 5 ones had him searching around and yes they were good as he would suddenly locate the team. Most teams were slow initially to drop the glass so there was always a risk of the red eye stare.

Series 7 with lissard had some good banter in there but I will have to watch the monopoly one from Daniels quest again. I found a post on the series 8 forum saying they played round an empty table. Never noticed that myself!
haymansafc
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by haymansafc »

I'm really glad a thread like this has come up as I'm sure I've discussed this elsewhere on the forum in the past.

For me, as already stated earlier, any which involved Lord Fear gaining red eyes. This used to scare the absolute living daylights out of me. The way he used to just turn or look up to the camera, become near enough expressionless and then those eyes started to glow… Dear me, this used to give me serious creeps…

I will admit that did actually haunt me for years even after nightmare finished! I used to hate looking at my blank television screen at night incase I looked up from the covers to see Lord Fear's face with the red eyes staring back at me, wanting to freeze me or something. I kid you not…! It actually, genuinely, gave me nightmares!

True, the spyglass scenes after series six never seemed as menacing, but I still enjoyed them. Mark Knight is a quality actor for sure. I had huge respect for him as a child and especially years later for those red eye stares still playing on my mind…!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

haymansafc wrote:I will admit that did actually haunt me for years even after nightmare finished! I used to hate looking at my blank television screen at night incase I looked up from the covers to see Lord Fear's face with the red eyes staring back at me, wanting to freeze me or something. I kid you not…! It actually, genuinely, gave me nightmares!
I love the fact it was scary enough to become one of those ridiculous childhood fears that haunted your everyday life! (I remember being terrified that I would randomly encounter a pooka or that horn of destruction from the end of Series 3, when there wasn't a dungeon resident on hand to save me.)
Sisterfairgame
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Sisterfairgame »

I loved how Mark would just look straight at the camera 'you know, looks can really do kill' line and that gets me every time I see it! Just Mark Knight's delivery and very essence of his approach to the killer lines he has, a lot of it is how he says it, and sometimes with Lissard made it more entertaining. I found Lord Fear intriguing fascinating, funny (dare I say that) and rather hypnotic to watch, from the first time I've seen the programme to now - he is still mysterious!! :)
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

I think the red eyes are cool........ very cool....... Its a bit creepy when he works out where the dungeoneer is........ He seems to be good at that......... I like it as well when he puts his hand in and tries to grab you with his fingers......... And when he does all three....... Even better........ Lord Fear is a great villain.
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."
Picklemyfav
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Picklemyfav »

I dreamt once that he done all three in a lost episode of Knightmare....... First his eyes glowed red..... then he tracked them down...... finally he put his hand in to grab the dungeoneer........ The team were rubbish at telling their dungeoneer what to do and Lord Fear caught the dungeoneer and pulled him out of his pool...... Lord Fear then said goblin fodder to a tiny dungeoneer and the skull cracked and the eyes rolled away...... I am not sure if he ever done all three things at the same time for real... It looked awesome.....
Cedric kneed down close to my helmet so i could see him and told me.
"You're not witless. You're just nice. Too nice really for your own good. That's your main problem."