Series 5 - Episode 10

Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 5 - Episode 10

Post by Pooka »

I've been watching Series 5 during lockdown and noted a couple of things during viewing this one:

- There's an audible thunk just before Jenna leaves the Blocker room. I wonder if she walked into a wall, or if this was just someone dropping something, or a microphone blip?

- One advisor correctly realises that the sword in the stone is likely a reference to Excalibur (although some versions of the Arthurian legends name Excalibur as a separate sword, given to Arthur by the Lady of the Lake). In any case, Treguard tells the team not to take the sword. He didn't have any such qualms when Julie pulled it out of the stone two years later!

- The status bar appears shortly after Harris put the book in Alex's knapsack, but it doesn't display the book as a possession - whether that's because it's in the knapsack rather than on hand, or maybe because there isn't a lot of space on the status bar to do so, I've no idea! (A possible explanation is that the team were always meant to take the book from Harris, but the fact that the clue room happened earlier was slightly overlooked by the production team. It makes sense to have him appear later in the Level, though.

- This episode contains the infamous "Another Name for Hordriss?" competition. I first saw this episode on Sci-Fi, which of course contained no such competition, so I just assumed that this was a free clue for the team and was befuddled as to why they didn't mention it!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 5 traded for some aniseed, which they needed. Then Scaramonger also let them use a free spyglass, which gave them the blocker password.
Evaded some assassins before being lectured by a bad-tempered Gwendoline.
In the next courtyard they were mugged by Sly Hands who stole the box, but when he opened it he was attacked by pixel. 8-o
Noticeable that they were able to take pixel with them for further encounters.
Passed the blocker and entered a causeway. It seemed that they had worked out the pattern of defence not aggression, but unfortunately they chose wrongly on the 2nd row. Oooh naaaasty! :( :(
They had done well until that point. Some teams make mistakes when it doesn't really matter, but this team were unfortunate that their first mistake was on the unforgiving causeway.

Team 6 chose the quest for the (poisoned) chalice. 8-o If only they knew....
They went straight into the level 1 clue-room. How many objects? ::) They are gonna need to reinforce the clue-room tables at this rate. :D
They deduced from the scroll to take the arrow and leave the lantern, which still left them to choose 1 from 3 which seemed harsh. Chose the gold.
Encountered a very-thinly disguised Hordriss (as a beggar) and agreed to take a book to Sly Hands for him. (Looks like Hands is in for a nasty surprise. :D) Hordriss must have placed an anti-digestion spell on the book coz he placed it in the knapsack. He also gifted them a "HERO" spell.
Alex entered the greenwood as time-out arrived.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Regarding Team 5:

Both dungeoneer Jenna ad her sister Andrea have been past contributors to this forum. Jenna posted under the name DeadDungeoneer and has written one post on this very thread, with a few more scattered amongst the Episode 9 thread.

There is also a very good post by Andrea here where she explains some points relating to the team's death.

Andrea is now known as Rea Pearson, having shortened her first name and marrying in the time since. I have also known her personally as a friend since 2001 when I originally got in contact regarding Knightmare (you may have also seen a few brief appearances from her in my documentary).
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

James, thanks for the links. It's always interesting to read the comments of those who were fortunate enough to be on Knightmare. Now that i have watched episodes 9 & 10 again, i recognise Andrea as the contestant from your documentary.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Hi Morganna,

it's great that you've helped to reinvigorate interest in the programme just when it was beginning to feel like everything that needed to be said, and plenty that didn't ;), has been said already.

If you want further interaction with Knightmare contestant alumuni then you can by all means visit Knightmare Chat of a Sunday night between 8 and 10. Amongst the chatters and in charge is frequently the webmaster of this parish Mr Alan Boyd aka him that was part of Serie's 8 winning team and the main man behind the Knightmare convention, Notmare, ægis Quest and several fan meetups of the last few years. He also features on James's documentary. :)

https://www.knightmare.com/chat.html
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Something I've only just picked up on having rewatched this episode:

The quest object shield which is being polished proudly by Pickle at the beginning of the episode is exactly the same one which appears in the Eyeshield sequence after Jenna leaves Julius Scaramonger! 8-o

As mentioned recently before, it's amazing what new details you can suddenly notice even after all these years...
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

JamesA wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 22:00 Something I've only just picked up on having rewatched this episode:

The quest object shield which is being polished proudly by Pickle at the beginning of the episode is exactly the same one which appears in the Eyeshield sequence after Jenna leaves Julius Scaramonger! 8-o

As mentioned recently before, it's amazing what new details you can suddenly notice even after all these years...

Yeah, it's one of two different shield designs you can spot all over the place in Series 5 and 6 (Treguard polishes the other one in an earlier episode, and both can be seen on posts in the indoor market at the start of episode 14). They seem to be symbolic of the dungeoneer being on the right path, and are often used to indicate the exit from a scene, or to highlight where the clue objects are. Hordriss has the Shield of Justice hanging on his wall in Series 6! ;D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Recurring shield designs were something that 'Harry Hill' was keen to remark on...
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Yes, i had noticed the shield appear in several places during series 5 quests as well.

Mashibinbin wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 21:11 Hi Morganna,

it's great that you've helped to reinvigorate interest in the programme just when it was beginning to feel like everything that needed to be said, and plenty that didn't ;), has been said already.

If you want further interaction with Knightmare contestant alumuni then you can by all means visit Knightmare Chat of a Sunday night between 8 and 10. Amongst the chatters and in charge is frequently the webmaster of this parish Mr Alan Boyd aka him that was part of Serie's 8 winning team and the main man behind the Knightmare convention, Notmare, ægis Quest and several fan meetups of the last few years. He also features on James's documentary. :)

https://www.knightmare.com/chat.html
Thank-you, that sounds really good. :)
It was discovering this fantastic website & forum that really restarted my interest in all things Knightmare.
It's been great watching these episodes again. Some of them i hadn't seen for many years. There are still a few episodes from S6,7,8 that i have never seen, so looking forward to them soon.