Returning To The Sorcerer's Isle 30 Years On

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
DuxBellorum
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Returning To The Sorcerer's Isle 30 Years On

Post by DuxBellorum »

Before time turns and we leave 2021 to it's own devices, I wanted to post a 30th anniversary look at The Sorcerer's Isle.

Released in 1991, this is the 4th in the series of Knightmare books, there being 7 in total and in many ways this is my most favourite of them all.

I was 10 when this came out, and it made for a most welcome Birthday present indeed.

I posted a retrospective of the first Knightmare book 'Can You Beat The Challenge?' in which I said the Knightmare and that book in particular kick started my obsession with history.

The Sorcerer's Isle went some way further in cementing that obsession.

As with all the books, this is half novella and half 'Choose Your Own Adventure' style delve in the the dungeon.

The basic outline sees Treguard living in the Holy Land, when his house is ascended upon by a young woman and her warrior companion.

Is is claimed that the warrior is none other that Lancelot, Arthur's greatest Knight and champion, somehow having been reanimated after having been dead for around 700 years.

The reason for Lancelot being in the Holy Land and indeed seeking out Treguard is to find nothing other than the Holy Grail.

This takes this takes them all throughout southern Arabia, including what we now know as Oman and Yemen.

Meeting various characters along the way, Treguard and his companions, also including Pickle and a guide called Ghazi, they are pursued by Treguard's old enemy Rupert of Armitage, now a Templar.

After much struggle and hardship they eventually find themselves on and Island lair of an ancient Sorcerer, but they are not alone.

They face a battle with a Demon.

Lancelot does not survive.

But there is a twist.

Erica, who Lancelot had been accompanying turned out to be none other than Morganna Le Fay, a witch and half sister to King Arthur.

Lancelot, was not the legendary warrior, but Morganna's own son. They had possessed two others so that they may live again.

I'm always struck by how much Arthur plays a part in the world of Knightmare.

Rupert of Armitage makes one final appearance before he himself is killed.

Treguard and Pickle return the Grail to England.

It's difficult to say how much I have loved this book. In many ways, it is the most well written of all the Knightmare books, and all of the characters, even the minor ones flesh out the story magnificently.

A couple of my favourite segments are when Treguard and Co meet with the Bedouin tribe, as I always wonder what became of them afterwards.

I also enjoy the segment when they meet with Zaman the wise Man and we learn what became of the Grail.

While 'Can You Beat The Challenge' got me interested in history, and Arthur, 'The Sorcerer's Isle' deepened that obsession and sparked my great passion for the Crusades and was my first introduction to what we now refer to as the Middle East and Arabia.

The 'Adventure' section is well worth playing through as well.

So thank You again Dave Morris for writing such a wonderful book and for helping to shape my lifelong obsession with history.

Thank You also once again to Tim Child for Knightmare!
Attachments
KM Book II.JPG
andrewbuckley
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Returning To The Sorcerer's Isle 30 Years On

Post by andrewbuckley »

Great post - I too loved all the books, but especially the first 4 before they changed to the Yearling brand and became more childish. I bought this with my holiday spending money and devoured it!
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Agreed, a very great post indeed, looks like you have been devouring Dux's copy as well Andrew the condition it appears to be in now :D

Brilliant review of a brilliantt book, thanks for your efforts here.
Greystagg
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Greystagg »

Great retrospective review, thanks. I might have to dig out my copy and have a re-read now!
DragonsBeHere
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DragonsBeHere »

The Sorcerer's Isle was the first Knightmare book I ever read, and personally I think it has the best gamebook section out of all of them. I remember spending ages trying to find the best possible route through it.
Who knows what lurks in uncharted waters...
Beltane
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Beltane »

I've got three of the four CYOA books and am now seriously thinking I should order the fourth one. Money's something of a thin resource for me just at the moment but this shouldn't be to much of a cost once I've got a couple of clients in. I think I'll buy the remaining book as a reward to myself when I get those.

But yes, the Sorcerer's Isle was a fantastic story. Well, all of them were, but I especially remember TSI for two things: firstly, the beautiful description of... now I'm wondering where it was, but there was something about a "light and fragrant breeze" at the beginning which makes it sound like Treguard was living somewhere warm and balmy. I'm sure it was this book, though. I've since used similar descriptions when people have commissioned me to write stories.

The other bit I particularly vividly remember of this book was how the leader of the Bedouin takes Treguard's sword. I honestly felt sick for Treguard being bound to hand it over.

I always found it curious that we didn't hear anything about Rupert anywhere in the Knightmare TV series. That said, Lord Fear was probably a better option as he offered a mechanic with far more potential.