Unintended Knightmare references on TV: game shows

Other shows or games that remind you of Knightmare but aren't official derivatives.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Knightmare reminder on Eggheads

Post by Drassil »

In Knightmare Series 4, Mellisandre wanted to know what the Romans call Colchester. [ITV Children's Classics clip]

On Eggheads this week (Series 18 Episode 1), Jeremy Vine wanted the same information. [BBC iPlayer link - 6:18]

This is the same Jeremy Vine who was once credited with "playing Knightmare" during CGI-based election coverage (see Knightmare.com article).
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Unintended Knightmare references on TV: game shows

Post by KaM »

Well, it does begin with a 'C', even if a little more than a stone's throw from Scotland.

Speaking of Cs, I heard that CJ de Mooi had been arrested in connection with misdemeanours in the Netherlands. Be careful what you publish, people! :D
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Unintended Knightmare references on TV

Post by Pooka »

Today's Countdown Conundrum was FALSEHOOD.

Pushing the boundaries a bit here, but the guest in Dictionary Corner was named Barry.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Pooka wrote: 16 Aug 2017, 14:54 Today's Countdown Conundrum was FALSEHOOD.

Yesterday's Conundrum (before being unscrambled) was 'DUNGEONER'... hmmmm!
MindlessAutomartum
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by MindlessAutomartum »

Did anyone spot Ayoade’s reference to “the dungeon master” in Medieval Zone in New The Crystal Maze this week?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

MindlessAutomartum wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 08:14 Did anyone spot Ayoade’s reference to “the dungeon master” in Medieval Zone in New The Crystal Maze this week?
Yep, I spotted it... and I laughed out loud!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

I was watching some old clips of The Chase on YouTube yesterday.

In this particular clip, the contestant was asked who would dress in a costume known as "Motley".

Naturally, the correct answer was of course jester.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Once upon a time in the Reality TV shows thread, I joked about a Knightmare version of 'I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here' when I wrote: 27 Feb 2011, 11:40 I've Insobriety, Yet Miaow To Fear. The Dungeon's alcoholic denizens camp out in Fetlock Jungle (yes, it's been reclassified) and must perform animal impressions for the Opposition to earn ale.

This year, I'm A Celebrity is foregoing its usual setting in Australia and will take place at a castle. Gwrych Castle to be precise. Here's hoping for lots of Knightmare references from ITV, ideally intentional references.

Although Gwrych Castle wasn't a Knightmare filming location, hosts Ant and Dec reportedly "pitched a lot of castles", so perhaps one of Knightmare's was considered.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

Speaking of ITV, someone by the name of Fear has just emerged victorious in one of their other shows (click here for article).

Makes me wonder if he'll use some of his recently earned winnings to invest in a peerage...
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

snakes.jpg
snakes.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 6229 times
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

I wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 18:33This year, I'm A Celebrity is foregoing its usual setting in Australia and will take place at a castle. Gwrych Castle to be precise. Here's hoping for lots of Knightmare references from ITV, ideally intentional references.

Although Gwrych Castle wasn't a Knightmare filming location, hosts Ant and Dec reportedly "pitched a lot of castles", so perhaps one of Knightmare's was considered.
In one of this year's challenges, one celebrity (Giovanna Fletcher, eventual winner) was blindfolded by a visored helmet while another celebrity (Shane Richie) gave her directions. The aim was for her to break dragon piñatas with a sword.

Vernon Kay, another of this year's I'm A Celebrity contestants, is vaguely associated with Knightmare in that he referred to it as narrator of the 30 Years of CITV documentary in 2012.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

In one round of Countdown today, the contestants came up with both PICKLE and MALICE!
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

On QI there's a klaxon they use whenever someone gives an answer that is obvious and wrong. I find this sound effect disconcerting because it reminds me strongly of the bugle blasts that heralded the end of Knightmare Series 3.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.