TruffleShuffle's Knightmare merchandise

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

TruffleShuffle's Knightmare merchandise

Post by Drassil »

TruffleShuffle now do Knightmare merchandise comprising T-shirts, a mug, a tote bag and a doormat.

Given TruffleShuffle's status, I'm assuming this is licensed. Previously, to my knowledge, the only way to get licensed merchandise like this was via David Rowe's Zazzle shop. Indeed, the 'exclusive' black T-shirt on TruffleShuffle, using the Labyrinths of Fear dungeoneer artwork, is very similar to the one on Zazzle.

Putting 'I survived Knightmare 1989' on the mug is an odd decision. There are only four people who could legitimately own it i.e. Chris, James, Alex and Tim from Series 3 Team 12.

Then again, had they put this on the mug -
Drassil wrote: 27 Oct 2003, 15:42Oooooh, nice tea!
- I might have sought legal advice.

Where the Zazzle shop refers to the 'Fright Knight', TruffleShuffle calls it 'Armoured Knight'.

The doormat is a nice idea (though perhaps not one for the immediate future). When first promoted, it was going to say 'Welcome Dungeoneer', but they saw sense and changed it to 'Enter, Stranger'.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re: TruffleShuffle's Knightmare merchandise

Post by EvelynMason »

Wasn't aware of these items, in fairness have never been compelled to purchase series items (or) from what was listed. Own a number of the books / literature episodes but as for wanting actual merchandise you can wear and present around the house, not something that has ever really come to mind. Is twenty pounds for a Series doormat a little expensive ? Yes it's a unique item to own but even so.

Of course my number one wish for buying items would be to have the series available on Blu Ray / DVD if possible. Something tangible that you can watch over and over again but realise it's not possible for whatever reason. Frustrating but all the same that's not to say it won't ever see the light of day.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I did a little investigation on these.

They are certainly not 'official'. They are not endorsed by Tim, nor is the use of the Knightmare name in any way licensed.

They could perhaps be considered 'legit' in that David Rowe appears to have an understanding with them regarding the use of his images. Some of their other images have been ripped off other places such as the cassette inlay for the computer game.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Asked recently on Twitter if their Knightmare merchandise (now reduced to one T-shirt design, the mug and the doormat) was 'officially licensed', TruffleShuffle replied: 'It sure is! We have a license with David [Rowe] directly'.

This seems consistent with your findings, Alan.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

That someone has been licensed surprises me.
That is was David Rowe does not :)
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by AriadnesLayer »

TruffleShuffle is a massive, mainstream, legitamite business and one of the most popular for cult/80s/90s clothing on the internet. They're hardly going to risk their massive empire for selling a few dodgy Knightmare mugs.

It's like asking if HMV is selling pirated dvds.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Yes, I think that was basically David's point in his initial post.