Last Dragon?

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Last Dragon?

Post by Naitch »

Hello

I was just wondering about the Dragons in Knightmare.

Watching my series 7 tape yesterday, I noticed that it was said that Smirky was the Last dragon known alive.

Then I remember that in series 8 Lord Fear had the red Dragon Bal Shiba/Firestorm Marblehead.

If Smirky was the last dragon, how did Lord Fear get hold of the red one?

Besides, Tregaurd already slayed Bealwit, the last Dragon way back in Can You Beat The Challange

Yet no mention was made of this.

I know the books were seperate from, or an extention of the series, but has anyone else noticed this?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Last Dragon?

Post by HStorm »

Alas, continuity is very lazy in Knightmare.

I tend in moments of generosity to take the very questionable view that the various dragons who appear in the series are different sub-species; Smirky is therefore the last green wyrm, Owen is the last yellow dragon, Bhal-Shebah is the last red dragon etc. But this is unworkable really, and the evidence doesn't really support it.

Bealwit, as you say, is a product of the books and is therefore not necessarily part of continuity.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

Perhaps you could argue "is a dragon really a dragon if you cannot touch it"/some other weird philosphy. We know Smirky is real as he flew them places. Owen (I don't think) never made physical contact - maybe he was a ghost? Dragons apparently can be very arrogant and he was just trying to convince the dungeeoneers...I'll be quiet now. Was a silly idea.

As for the Red One, I have no idea - it was Lord Fear, maybe he sewed a dragon from bit of goblin and old dungeoneers, then dyed it red...brought it to life with a little technosorcery...?
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Naitch wrote:Tregaurd already slayed Bealwit, the last Dragon way back in Can You Beat The Challange
Although it's suggested in CYBTC that dragons have become extremely rare, I can't find anything in the story to indicate that Bealwit is supposed to be the last one.
Emii wrote: Perhaps you could argue "is a dragon really a dragon if you cannot touch it"/some other weird philosphy.
It seems a fair theory to me. After all, viewers of Knightmare have been called 'watchers of illusion' from the very outset.

It is true that KM continuity and dragons don't go hand in talon. However, there is the helpful 'get-out clause' of time travel. According to Folly in CYBTC, the Gruagach used it in filling the Dungeon with monsters; it says in The Quest fanzine that Lord Fear's Miremen were acquired from Atlantis via teleportation across time; and in The Dragon's Lair (the sixth KM book), Treguard and Aesandre have time travel means available. In fact, as I explained in a recent Lexicon entry, Dragon's Lair reminds me a lot of Quantum Leap...
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

Well, in series 2 Owen did make physical contact with a dungeoneer (if you assume that the dragon is Owen; some believe it was a different dragon entirely...), as one walked on his nose!

I'm not sure the books were ever supposed to be canon, but I'm not gonna go by what they say, to be perfectly honest... Also, if you count fanfiction, then Rosie Collins wrote a story for TES named 'Love Wyrms', which introduced a hell of a lot of new dragons to KM!

Maybe the time-travel idea isn't such a bad one after all... I mena, if it worked for the Brollachan albeit him losing his memory then maybe that explaint Bhal and Shebah's split personalities too...
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

Romahna didn't say Smirkenorff was the last dragon, just that he was the last Great Crested Green.

:'(
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
TuragaNuju
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by TuragaNuju »

Perhaps as the dungeon re forms, more dragons are created (Much in the same way as new hauntings/pookas are introduced)? Its a sound reason.
Treguard: "Ooh.. nasty. Still, We Can Have A Toilet Break Now - I'm Bursting!"
Willowherb
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Willowherb »

In Terry Pratchett's first book The Colour of Magic, the people of the Wyrmberg could actually call dragons into being by the power of the imagination. Now, while I'm not proposing this is what's meant to happen in KM, I think you can probably allow for the dragon species working in a slightly different way from other species. Then there's the fact that those behind the programme liked the idea of introducing more dragons (after all, who wouldn't?)
GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by GranitasIsCute »

Emii wrote: Perhaps you could argue "is a dragon really a dragon if you cannot touch it"/some other weird philosphy. We know Smirky is real as he flew them places. Owen (I don't think) never made physical contact - maybe he was a ghost? Dragons apparently can be very arrogant and he was just trying to convince the dungeeoneers...I'll be quiet now. Was a silly idea.

As for the Red One, I have no idea - it was Lord Fear, maybe he sewed a dragon from bit of goblin and old dungeoneers, then dyed it red...brought it to life with a little technosorcery...?
Owen can't be a ghost, dungeoneers walked on his nose...
AKA Ross 'Raven's Eye' Thompson
Knightmare Audio Series