Dungeoneer

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Dungeoneer

Post by Purgatory »

Can u remember the ep were the Dungeoneer had to take off his helm? i think he had to lift it above his eyes or something...  i just cant remember what the point of that was? i can remember what the room looked like and im sure it was an early season.. but the reasons why i cant think of,     Anyone remember what was going on?
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Dungeoneer

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Occasionally they'd have to lift up the helmet slightly to listen to the Oracle of Confusion.

-hop-
-hop-
-hop-
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
James_Aukett

Post by James_Aukett »

There was Series 2 Team 5, Series 3 Teams 4 & 11, all took place in the Level 2 clue room
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

Oracle of Confusion?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

The Oracle appeared in the Level 2 Clue room on the moments that James mentioned above. It was basically a dispenser of information, although it was all ramblings (if you know anything about oracles you'll know that they never rate one factor as being more important than any other, and therefore tend to go off on tangents and stuff). And yes, you needed to close your eyes and lift the Helmet of Justice above your head to hear it.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
James_Aukett

Post by James_Aukett »

I think closing their eyes was very important, other it would have spoiled the whole illusion a la cromakey
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

I liked the Oracle a lot.

A potentially good source of information, and a way to "give" teams information without handing it to them on a proverbial plate (sorry Brother Strange, couldn't resist that). The idea of having to sort the true from the false, or the useful information from the useless, is one I'd like to have seen more of.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
James_Aukett

Post by James_Aukett »

It certainly made teams think in a way
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

It certainly made teams think in a way
Exactly. I'd have liked to have seen something like that in later series and fewer scrolls and such.

It'd be a good dilemma for teams. If you stay and listen a bit longer, you might get some vital information. But your life force (not a pie, please) is on screen and it's degrading while you listen. How long can you afford to stay? How long do you dare to listen?
James_Aukett

Post by James_Aukett »

I would be laughing if the Oracle told them how to cpmpletely beat the dungeon then the dungeoneer's life force was only a fraction of it left  ;D
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Well, that would be a temptation for them.

I think I'd have it stop giving useful information after a while. They'd probably get the clue to move on when it tells them what Hordriss uses to create those fabulous red streaks in his hair. ;)

And Treguard would give a few hints about the threat to life force. But there'd still be a danger of being greedy and listening too long.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

oh i see, didnt know they had to close their eyes.. it was on the things a found rarther odd.. at the time i did think they were running around some castle somewere.. sounds stupid but what u expect at that age..lol
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

sounds stupid but what u expect at that age..lol
i remember everyone breaking the news to me that there was no such things as dragons a couple of years ago and seeing the skin and skeleton that was smirky.

*sigh*  :(
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

thats ashame,

i would have liked to have seen treguard take on the challenge
JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Removing the helmet

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

In Leo's quest in series 3, Mogdred was saying to take off the helmet. What do you think it would have actually looked like if he had done that? Incidentally, in the Knightmare gamebook, "The Labyrinths of Fear", at one point, you can get asked a riddle by Mordred (pretty much identical to Mogdred), and if you choose one of the wrong answers, Mordred lifts the Helmet of Justice, and the text says "and it is best not to relate what happens next". That is the sort of text that might be used to avoid giving gruesome detail, the reader being supposed to know what actually happens. i can't get it though. (Incidentally, I hate books that leave everything unexplained, assuming that the reader will figure it out. I remember reading a book once - a horror story - where it mentioned that the main character worked out all the mysteries, but the reader was not told. This is sometimes used if it is obvious, but I didn't get it. I found this unsatisfying, particularly because I wasn't sure whether the main character even survived in the end - or whether she died. I guess that she died from the way the book ended).