Pronunciation.

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Pronunciation.

Post by Trial_by_Spikes »

Has anybody ever noticed now completely bizarre Hugo Myatt's voice is. For example, the other day I was watching good old series 1 and there's a moment when he says "Warning Team. Life Force Low." Nothing remarkable there, until you actually listen carefully. It should actually be written "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarning Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam ..." - Myatt makes every word last for a very long time. Granted, this is often cool - but if you distance yourself from the programme - some of Myatt's pronunciation is entirely laughable. He sounds like a medieval air raid siren or something.
Oh look there's J.G. Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a spitfire pilot.
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Pronunciation.

Who's the three star daddy now? Grimwold, you're next.
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Yes, he was highly charasmatic as Treguard, especially in the earlier series.  One of the sound clips from this site is of Hugo announcing a competition to design a room in an early series.  Listen to him saying 'Imagine if you will' and notice how it booms noticeably louder than any other words.
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

Who's the three star daddy now? Grimwold, you're next.
Ack! Festus! Quick! Eat his post count!
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Has anybody ever noticed now completely bizarre Hugo Myatt's voice is. For example, the other day I was watching good old series 1 and there's a moment when he says "Warning Team. Life Force Low." Nothing remarkable there, until you actually listen carefully. It should actually be written "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarning Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam ..." - Myatt makes every word last for a very long time. Granted, this is often cool - but if you distance yourself from the programme - some of Myatt's pronunciation is entirely laughable. He sounds like a medieval air raid siren or something.
I see what you mean. There are a very few instances where it does sound odd. As we've said before, it must have been extremely difficult for Hugo. I guess they wanted to get some atmosphere going in the antechamber, so he had to make the most of his lines. Having to act it realistically when your immediate listeners are three pretty quiet 13 year olds must have been difficult. So often he'd say his piece really well in character and set up some good atmosphere, and they'd react by then just sitting and staring at him for ages! Talk about spoiling all his hard work! So I guess going slightly over the top very occasionally is pretty excusable.

"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
Whiteknight
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Whiteknight »

Can't actually say I've heard too many medieval air-raid sirens though. ;D
'Join us again soon for Knightmare, it's well worth waiting for.'
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Although give him credit for trying to make himself heard over the mumbling advisors, who I'm convinced have louder mics than him.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Well, in series 1 and 2 Treguard was quite deranged! I guess that's just the way he decided to play him.

(yaaaa! me's got 4 stars!!)
Subject to change.
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Mesa only one star...

I'm NOT a Knewbie, dammit! I know just as much as everyone else!

Although... Hugo DID have a habit of booming some words when it wasn't necessary.
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

He settled down into a more knightly persona for series 3 onwards, though (although he still giggled away in the background as teams messed things up!!!)

I wonder how he'll do it in the new series.

KC: We were all Knewbies once. Even GG!  ;D
      beveryafraid is a Knewbie and he knows a couple of things...
Last edited by Malefact on 03 Mar 2003, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Subject to change.
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Veeery good point.

Just goes to show, though, even the creator of Knightmare is new to this place...
Trial_by_Spikes
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Am I missing something here?
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Well...maybe. That is, if you didn't know that beveryafraid is the screen name of Tim Child...
DavidNewton
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by DavidNewton »

(Dramatic chords)
Far beyond the rising sun, I ride the wings of fate... prepared to go where my heart belongs - back to the past again!
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

He settled down into a more knightly persona for series 3 onwards, though (although he still giggled away in the background as teams messed things up!!!)

I wonder how he'll do it in the new series.

KC: We were all Knewbies once. Even GG!  ;D
      beveryafraid is a Knewbie and he knows a couple of things...
I thought he was fantastic in Series 3, especially his introductions. It was all so very atmospheric, one of those moments where I doubt anyone sitting at home could possibly talk over the television. I too loved those moments when he cracked up in the background. Despite all the difficulties, hard work, line-learning and such, he must have had a great time making it.    

On the post count issue, despite what it might look like, I don't really think it's important at all. I'd personally much rather have a few posts that are interesting or that people enjoy reading than loads of one-line posts to inflate the post count. I've occasionally looked back over what people have posted in the past, and there are just some extremely interesting thoughts and hilarious comments among them. If anyone is knew to the boards, I'd definitely recommend looking back over some of the old threads when you get the chance. :)