DISMISS versus UNITE

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Kawaii_Catgirl
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

DISMISS versus UNITE

Post by Kawaii_Catgirl »

Treguard must've gotten the short end of the stick here - normally, Spellcasting spells appear on the screen, letter by letter. Treguard's DISMISS spell doesn't do this - however, his UNITE spell (and Merlin's too) does. It should've been quite simple and relatively cheap to animate it once, then have it repeat whenever a team died, so why didn't they?

Also, I remeber in later series that Treguard used to smack a big pole down on the floor to call the teams (or possibly dismiss them, I'm not sure) - which series did he start doing this?
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: DISMISS versus UNITE

Post by Emii »

Perhaps the DISMISS spell was being illegally performed O.o
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Julius_Scaramonger
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Julius_Scaramonger »

It was Majida who would use the stick to open the door and let the team in, it happened only in series 8, see pic:

http://knightmare.v21hosting.co.uk/series/8/23.jpg
KaM
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by KaM »

Hmm.. Interesting points from all.

The Staff was first used, I believe, in S6 for dismissals, and became used for introducing teams in addition (more magically, really) in S7 - Majita did the honours the first time, I think.
It never hit my ideal! I'd have preferred the staff to enter the dungeoneer, and the DISMISS spell to remove them. As it is, I'm just a whinger!

Well, as for the spell appearing on the screen: interesting complaint. I was first going to suppose that any 'negative' spells would be those that did not appear - but then again - his spell casting of 'HEROES' on winning quests didn't appear, nor the RETURN spell or the UNITE spell, concluding series 2 and 3. The conclusion of S4 was the only one occasion where Treguard's spellcasting was screen acknowledged. I did like it this way - the emphasis on listening to Treguard drawing out the dismissal, rather than watching it appear. Then again, I'm just a whinger! :)
Knightmarian. alphavillean. Marvellian.
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

No, you're not a whinger, RedMage, I agree with you there - I think it might not have been better to have clunky white letters obscuring the screen during the dismissal, myself - and the way Treguard always said it - slowly and precisely - made sure you didn't miss what he was saying!
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

Indeed. It was always said loudly and clearly. Also, if DISMISS kept getting spelt out on screen it would have become annoying. :)

I've always preferred DISMISS to the staff. The whole spellcasting concept is something I've always liked - a very clever play on words. :D

To speed things up, rather than use a staff, perhaps Treguard could just wave his hand and say "dismiss" or something similar.

Off topic slightly but still related, it'd be nice if, in the new series, Treguard said "enter, stranger" a la the early series. I'm a traditionalist.  :)
Subject to change.
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

True, true, very true but Istill liek to think that Treguard was indulging in a bit of illegal spellcasting in his time...
"The alarm, Master! The opposition's tracked them! Oh good grief...look - Lord Fear's frozen Christopher!"
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

Treaguard doing illegal spells.... funny and great idea  ;D
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Emii
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Emii »

*sound of Spellcasting wardens' alarm going off in the background*

TREGUARD! WE HAVE YOU SURROUNDED! DROP THE HYPHENS AND HOLD BOTH HANDS AND THE REACH WAND ABOVE YOUR HEAD!
Snowwiewolf
Knight
Knight

Post by Snowwiewolf »

is dying of laughter.... ;D
I'm an alien, you're a berry picker!
Steve
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Steve »

i think the staff was first used to call and dissmiss advisors by pickle in S5 or S6.

i much preferred the dismiss spell tho - more true to the Knightmare.

In series 4 tho(dunno iff any1 else noticed this) the spells seemed to have a more defined effect.

DISMISS sent all the ppl to the walkaway place wen they failed.
UNITE brought the dungeoneer to the antichamber with the advisors whether they won or not(end of series)
HOME sent the ppl home without a walkaway screen (direct transport - beats british rail anyday)
Last edited by Steve on 20 Jul 2003, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Came, Saw, Mastered, Moved on...
Aldarion
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Aldarion »

I think we all prefer the "spellcasting" gimmick.

Just to get in an off-topic remark: in my "X-Rated Adult Knightmare" idea that I'm not allowed to print, no sooner has the "quest" begun than the Treguard-figure spellcasts D.I.S..R.O.B.E!