Why I hate Mellisandre

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Why I hate Mellisandre

Post by Raven »

Martin Tool (Team 11 Series 3 I think) entered a room where Motley was doing a mime. Mellisandre came up and said to Martin 'He's good isn't he?' Martin said 'Yes, brilliant'. Then Melly said 'But you can't see him with that helmet on!' and Martin said 'Well...' and was interrupted. Now I think everyday what his excuse would have been, but thanks to him being interrupted I'll never know. Grrr...

Anyway, what do you lot think he was going to say?
Last edited by Drassil on 28 Jan 2011, 18:16, edited 2 times in total.
The Raven's Labyrinth - Where danger lurks around every corner...
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Why I hate Mellisandre

Post by Fidjit »

Mellisandre: But you can't see anything, you've got that hat on haven't you?

Martin: Noooooo, you bloody think!

Mellisandre has a good appearance and has a rather babyish approach which is why I like her... ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Kieran »

I don't dislike her as such, just wish that occasionally she'd NOT fall down trap doors.
'He's NOT a Dungeoneer, he's a VERY naughty boy!'
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

That of course (Ross' quest in Series 3) was a situation where Mellisandre herself was interrupted (cosmic justice?).

Perhaps Martin's answer would have been: "...I know he's doing a good mime act, because I can't hear him!"

I've always been fond of Mellisandre, as my first fanfic implies. Very pretty name, meaning 'brave honeybee' in Ancient Greek.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Madmogsue
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Madmogsue »

excuse me if this sounds dim.... which it probably will....

But im right in thinking that melisandre is the dippit looking "maiden" wandering about the current series on challenge?
Kupo? kupopo?!?
HarveyTowers
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by HarveyTowers »

The maiden in Series 2 is Gretel, Melly appears in Series 3 and 4.

I must say that I like the character of Mellisandre and if that's the only fault you can find then it proves that she is a good character. Hate is perhaps too strong a word, maybe the thread should be called "Why I was irritated by Mellisandre on a single occasion"
Last edited by HarveyTowers on 02 Jul 2004, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Good night out there; whatever you are!
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Gretel was cuter though! ;) hehe - Melly wasnt too bad - better than sidriss!
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

I always liked her, she was sweet - and I preferred her and Motley as a team than him and Sidriss - though I did like Sidriss too. Plus I always really liked her name...obviously ;)
Drassil, I didn't know that's what it meant, very interesting :)
"You're in a room..." ;)
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

Pity I became Fidjit... Eh? ;) ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Why I hate Mellisandre

Post by HStorm »

I think the reason I dislike Mellisandre - and in fairness this isn't just a problem with her - is I just don't think she belongs in the series. She recites nursery rhymes, plays hide-'n'-seek, talks to dungeoneers like they're fresh out of kindergarten... gah, she should be presenting Playschool or Jackanory or possibly Blue Peter! She should not appearing in a dark, gritty adventure series meant for adolescents and young adults!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

But doesn't that make her act as a counterpoint to all the other darkness going on around her?

I mean, if everyone was a dark, miserable bad guy, it'd all get a bit boring, no?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Yes, but the "nice counterpoint" doesn't have to be like a presenter from a pre-4pm show. You can have nice characters without designing them to appeal to the pre-Primary School audience.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

HStorm wrote:I think the reason I dislike Mellisandre - and in fairness this isn't just a problem with her - is I just don't think she belongs in the series. She recites nursery rhymes, plays hide-'n'-seek, talks to dungeoneers like they're fresh out of kindergarten... gah, she should be presenting Playschool or Jackanory or possibly Blue Peter! She should not appearing in a dark, gritty adventure series meant for adolescents and young adults!
To be brutally honest dude I thought Gretel was far more irritating than Mellisandre. At least Mellisandre played a lot greater significance and was a lot more level headed. Well at least in Series 3 anyhow. In the following season her role was virtually non existent, she barely offered any help and as you say, the nursery rhymes and daisy chains didn't help to improve her intentions. Whereas in season 3 I think she made a far by better successor. Gretel did help sometimes, but other times I'd be watching the TV wishing somebody or something would make her or tell her to shut up! XD
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 - Episode 14

Post by HStorm »

Like I say, it's not just Mellisandre who embodies this problem. But just because other characters are even worse for talking to teenagers like they're babies doesn't make me like Melly after all. (In the same way that, just because other dictators killed more people than Idi Amin killed, that doesn't mean I suddenly have no problem with Idi Amin.)
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 3 - Episode 14

Post by Fidjit »

That's a very good way of looking at it chap :) Back then at least kids we're perfectly capable of talking to adults properly so it does bug me when programmes tend to go all "coochy coo" and insult their intelligence