Thoughts on Fay

Series, Teams, History, Behind the scenes etc. - all discussed here.
DragonsBeHere
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Thoughts on Fay

Post by DragonsBeHere »

I’m kinda curious about what everyone thinks about Fay. She never appears outside The Dragon’s Lair, and her very existence is suspect.

First things first, she should be dead. All the Dunshelms (bar Treguard, of course) were killed in the battle with Vestan. So how is she alive, how did Treguard find her and why don’t we see her on screen?

My personal theory on this, is that Fay was somehow smuggled out of Dunshelm to Wolfenden before Vestan’s attack. She lived there for years, until suddenly Wolfenden became part of the dungeon. Somehow, her and Treguard meet - maybe something like this:

A random (obviously not canon) series 6 quest
[Wolfenden village street, Fay standing in the middle. The dungeoneer walks up to her ]

Advisor: Go say hi.
Dungeoneer: Hi, who are you?
Fay: I'm Fay of Dunshelm. Or at least they say I am, I've never been there.
Treguard: What?!
[He faints. Pickle goes over to him]
Pickle: Don't worry Team. he's not dead, just unconscious.

::) Well, maybe someone else has a better idea.

So why do we never see her? More theorising, but I think that Fay went and joined the modern world. In both The Forbidden Gate and The Dragon’s Lair, Knightmare Castle is shown to exist in our world. So maybe Fay just spends her time going to school and acting like a normal kid. She certainly seems quite normal, what with her ‘Pop star pin-ups” comment.

Finally, what do you think about Fay being Treguard’s assistant? It would certainly be an interesting dynamic. Fay would definitely respect Treguard, but maybe also be more confident to challege him.
Another thing to think about is how Fay would react around the advisors, bearing in mind that she is roughly the same age (or younger) as them. It might put the younger teams at ease, or just be awkward. Any actor playing her would have to be a kid as well, and that brings up a whole new set of problems.

I, personally, am fine with all this, although Fay calling Treguard “Uncle” might give me flashbacks to Charmian Gradwell and an aspidistra.

So here is my take on Fay. Thank you for reading, if indeed you still are.
Who knows what lurks in uncharted waters...
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Re: Thoughts on Fay

Post by Mashibinbin »

Not only an interesting post about a novel section in one of the gamebooks but also topped with a reference to the Adventure Game...knice debut!

My thoughts on Fay were that she is somehow William's conscience or perhaps a more physical manifestion of his own life force because as you rightly pointed out Treguard lost all his family a few books back. I imagine if she had become an in-show assistant she'd have hopefully been a slightly more respectful version of Majida but can also see her wanting to interfere in the greater game itself on occasion similar to Pickle's encounter with Fatilla.

In honestly tho, although the novels were interesting in themselves they failed to grip me in the same way the gamebook sections did but it was nice to have some backstory to flesh out things somewhat.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Thoughts on Fay (The Dragon's Lair)

Post by Drassil »

It's good to have some more discussion of the books on the forum. Had someone with your username not read the Knightmare book with Dragon in the title, it would have been a shame.

After the grown-up feel of Knightmare books 1-4, I remember being less impressed by books 5-7: larger print, simpler stories, shorter gamebooks. If the later books were seeking to appeal to a younger audience then Uncle Treguard would have been more appropriate than 'Bruce Wayne' Treguard.

Several years ago, Canadanne uncovered the reason why The Dragon's Lair is so inconsistent with the other Knightmare novellas: Dave Morris, rather than sitting down and writing a new story in the established universe, adapted one of his Dungeons & Dragons scenarios, A Ballad Of Times Past. There's a thread about it here and a summary in the Interactive Knightmare Lexicon here.

Treguard had brothers, so a niece is certainly possible. Perhaps Fay was born out of wedlock (to a non-human mother? It could explain her name and her powers). I like the idea of Fay learning of her Dunshelm heritage and then challenging the dungeon in order to introduce and prove herself to Treguard.

Fay, as Treguard's assistant, might have been similar to Daisy in the Geek Week episode. Presumably, as Treguard's only heir, she would one day inherit Knightmare Castle and the dungeon.

Thanks for the Richard Ayoade mazemaster reference too. In one episode, while in the Medieval Zone (before they got rid of it), he said, "I'll be having a word with the dungeonmaster who lives here." I wonder what that dungeonmaster looked like...
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I wondered if Treguard had got married at some point (perhaps to a sorceress) and Fay was his wife's niece.
DragonsBeHere
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by DragonsBeHere »

I’m glad you caught my references. ;)
I didn’t know about the reused scenario, Drassil, and after reading about it, it has sparked a few more theories.

First of all, it says that Fay’s two main scenes, the one where she is under the ice and the one where she gives the prophecy to Will, were both originally done by those who are dead (e.g. the spirits and an undead creature.

Leading to my new theory: Fay is dead.

It makes sense. Treguard would have certainly had nieces and nephews. He had three older brothers, and all of them would have been expected to get married and have children. And all the Dunshelms died. So maybe Fay perished in the fight, but her spirit lived on. Why? Well I’m moving on to that.

The early dungeon was full of hauntings; cavern wraiths and skull ghosts to name a few. A place like Knightmare Castle is bound to have some spirits lurking about, so why not the ones of people killed within its very walls. It makes sense for them to be vengeful. Although if Treguard knew they were his relations… Maybe let’s not go there.

But I’m pretty sure Fay was not a floating sheet, nor a skull. She seemed very human. Which takes me to part two of the theory: Fay is an oracle.

So maybe the oracles aren’t dead, but they don’t look very alive either. They certainly look other-worldly. And where did Treguard get that prophecy from? Maybe from Fay herself.

Finally a second theory. Canadanne, your point about her being Treguard’s wife’s niece is interesting. And from that, I give you Fay, niece of Anna, the girl from the fen.

Are these theories ridiculous?
Yes, they are.
Did I really enjoy making them?
Absolutely!
Who knows what lurks in uncharted waters...