Series 1 Episode 4

Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 1 Team 3 Death

Post by Fidjit »

Probably both... Darkness causes life force to deplete rather rapidly.

But Gibbet is a tough guard and he might of gave them a second helping
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Dan
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Dan »

Pendragon wrote: What was it exactly that killed Simon; the Darkness or Gibbet?
It was making the wrong decision. They should've spellcast ANVIL (which indeed the spellcaster started to do, but was overruled) but instead dis-spelled LANTERN, which wouldn't have stopped Gibbet clonking him on the head. :)
Raven
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Raven »

Bearing in mind, they may have thought that Gibbet would thank them if they turned the light off. It is just like the McGrew situation when he was dancing, they didn't know he would help if the dispelled it.
The Raven's Labyrinth - Where danger lurks around every corner...
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Re: Series 1 Episode 4

Post by HobGoblin »

It's that time of the week!

Was Treguard's opening spiel exactly the same recording as last week?

Bet there were a few arguments about that spell debacle in the car on the way home! The producers got better at editing deaths as the show went on - this one required a little explanation!

And am I being cynical or was Treguard's line about knowledge of previous quests being little use aimed mostly at the viewers - keep watching, it'll be different!?

Repetition is series one's real weakness but the bizarre wall monster burping is an attempt to mix things up which falls a little flat IMO.

That all said, this new team does seem a little more turned on - both re. directions (lots of side-stepping!) and an almost complete lack of panic (easiest ever passage through a bomb room?). Could they have seen some of the previous team's quest?
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

It was a good death, can't believe they stuffed that up. But they had an easy run. Even that spike room was no threat, the spikes stopped soon as they started walking.

Next team seem much more aware, even if their dungeoneer looks and sounds terrified. Surprised they didn't take the key, if they had im sure there would have been no 'serpent stomach' room.

What was the point of the chalice in the corridor?

And YES... Folly!!!! best jester they ever had, that other chap was truly awful. We should make the most of him as he didn't last past season 2.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Best death of the series for me. I loved the way Treguard was hovering in his chair wondering whether to get up or not while Simon's team dithered over which spell to use! As previously mentioned in a earlier post, the spellcaster was about to do the correct spell until he got over ruled.

It was good to see Folly, but I have to admit after a while his laugh did get annoying. I did prefer Motley as he was funnier and interacted more with the dungeoneers. Folly still some good moments though.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Billy
Knight
Knight

Post by Billy »

Only in Knightmare can 'Remember the druids, team!' be a useful clue to a question :D

It's somewhat wonderful to watch this series having no idea about the fate of any of the quests - it's been so long since I watched the show, and particularly this series that it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. So much so that Team 3's death genuinely came as a shock, and a huge shame - they'd done so well and they end up bloody dispelling LANTERN instead of the obvious ANVIL spell! Saying that, had they done it right and gone on to win the thing, having only the third team in the history of the show beat the dungeon might make it look a bit easy...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Billy wrote:It's somewhat wonderful to watch this series having no idea about the fate of any of the quests - it's been so long since I watched the show, and particularly this series that it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. So much so that Team 3's death genuinely came as a shock
That surprises me, given that you once wrote a Lexicon entry on Gibbet!
pjmlfc05 wrote:As previously mentioned in a earlier post, the spellcaster was about to do the correct spell until he got over ruled.
When Jonathan first says "Spellcasting: A, N" it's hard to know whether he was responding to the suggestion to cast ANVIL or to the suggestion to "turn the light off", since he begins the 'successful' dispelling of LANTERN with "A, N". Had Alec Westwood been more prepared to ad lib, I wonder if it would have affected the advisors' decision.

So far this series, every team number has been reflected in the episode number. I don't know how often this happened in later years, though obviously it would have been at least once per series. ;)
HobGoblin wrote:That all said, this new team does seem a little more turned on - both re. directions (lots of side-stepping!) and an almost complete lack of panic (easiest ever passage through a bomb room?). Could they have seen some of the previous team's quest?
I was surprised to hear Nigel say, "Danny, you're in a bomb room" as if it were a familiar term. It makes me wonder whether they'd encountered one in rehearsals, or whether the smaller bomb room had featured earlier in the quest but had been edited out.

Had Danny not been stopped from rushing out of the cavern by Lillith - something that, two series later, McGrew didn't succeed in doing with Cliff - and been given the ITCH spell, we might have had two scenes in one episode of a wellway guard killing a dungeoneer on his first appearance. As it was, this was possibly the only episode in which we saw both wellways. It was also the first episode in which a password was asked for.
HobGoblin
Staff
Staff

Post by HobGoblin »

Drassil wrote:
I was surprised to hear Nigel say, "Danny, you're in a bomb room" as if it were a familiar term. It makes me wonder whether they'd encountered one in rehearsals, or whether the smaller bomb room had featured earlier in the quest but had been edited out.

Had Danny not been stopped from rushing out of the cavern by Lillith - something that, two series later, McGrew didn't succeed in doing with Cliff - and been given the ITCH spell, we might have had two scenes in one episode of a wellway guard killing a dungeoneer on his first appearance.
Does the very fact that Lillith made them so nervous suggest that they'd already seen evidence of her murderous inclinations? The more I think about this, the more I think that Treguard's line about previous quests was because of some exposure Danny's team had to previous adventures prior to starting their own.

Perhaps by this stage of the recording the first couple of quests had been edited together and, seeing how the first couple of teams had struggled, the producers showed later teams some footage to give them an idea of what the show was all about...?
Extreme warning team, a Hobgoblin in the level!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

It's possible we're not watching them in the order they were filmed.
For all we know this team might have been filmed last and had seen the other quests. Just because the viewer sees them as the 4th team doesn't mean they were.

The produces are going to air them in the order they think is best for the viewer, which is why team 3 got to level 3, by then they needed to show off the dungeon a bit more.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

To answer people's questions:
HobGoblin wrote:Was Treguard's opening spiel exactly the same recording as last week?
Yes, both the opening & closing words are the same recording every week in Series 1.
wombstar wrote:Surprised they didn't take the key, if they had im sure there would have been no 'serpent stomach' room.
The wall monster gave them a clue not to take the key.
wombstar wrote:What was the point of the chalice in the corridor?
It's a symbol to indicate the correct door, like the talisman in previous quests.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Drassel wrote

When Jonathan first says "Spellcasting: A, N" it's hard to know whether he was responding to the suggestion to cast ANVIL or to the suggestion to "turn the light off", since he begins the 'successful' dispelling of LANTERN with "A, N". Had Alec Westwood been more prepared to ad lib, I wonder if it would have affected the advisors' decision.

I know 1 of the lads said 'cast Anvil' but then someone said dis spell. So this probably confused the spellcaster! Still a good death though!
phillwin
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by phillwin »

i never notice the wall monster burpin before aftner all these years now i would had done the dispell i bet you all would even the ex contestene ;D
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Episode 4 was the 8th most watched programme on Challenge that week, with an audience of 88,000:

1 TNA IMPACT (SUN 2101) 184,000
2 CLASSIC WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE S1 (FRI 2100) 166,000
3 CLASSIC WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE S1 (TUE 2101) 145,000
4 CLASSIC WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE S1 (WED 2100) 135,000
5 FUN HOUSE (FRI 2200) 130,000
6 FAMILY FORTUNES (FRI 2000) 94,000
7 BULLSEYE (WED 2200) 93,000
8 KNIGHTMARE (FRI 2230) 88,000
9 BULLSEYE (WED 2230) 85,000
10 BULLSEYE (SUN 2030) 85,000
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Still good! I think series 2 will have higher figures as it began to find it's feet.