Series 2 - Episode 7

GranitasIsCute
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Series 2 - Episode 7

Post by GranitasIsCute »

The section under Akash's team on the website says this:
This quest was unusual as it was the only quest in Series 2 that did not start with the Wheel of Fate. It is believed that this team may have had their quest restarted to enable them to get the TRUTH spell from the Troll and guarantee themselves at least one correct answer in the clue room, though this is unconfirmed.
I was under the impression that (perhaps from the above and/or maybe from reading something else too) the team got to the clue room and didn't get any riddles right. I'm guessing that either because the production team didn't have a "wall monster eating dungeoneer" effect or that the next team wasn't ready yet, they decided to let the team live on. So, they went back and filmed the giant scene later on in which he gives them the TRUTH spell, and they also re-film the necessary parts of the clue room scene.

At the same time it would have been a lot more subtle of them to re-film the clue room scene with either a different riddle or having told the team the correct answer, if they were going to let the team live anyway.
Maybe they opted for the TRUTH spell scenario instead as it was interesting and different to anything that had been done before.
UnclePob
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by UnclePob »

HStorm wrote:
What if the team were in a scripted Level 1 which absolutely hinged on being granted a spell, and the spell being granted to them by a wall monster? Just for once, the three correct answers would be vital. Since that's almost too difficult a requirement for Level 1, their chances of pulling off such a feat will have needed to be improved - hence the "TRUTH" spell.
This idea still doesn't get past the air of coincidence though. The only team that couldn't get any riddles right 'just happens' to be the team that got a generic spell that can be used as a substitute for a correct answer. Given the way quests were usually scripted fairly tightly, spells tended to be given out with a view to what was going to happen later, which is fine i.e. they're really a possible 'third clue object'. But how did the production team know that the team wouldn't get any answers right at all?

To put it down just to a big slice of luck is... well, it's possible, but it's just a bit difficult to swallow.
I totally see the coincidence that could have played out and why it looks, on the face of it, unlikely. I posted earlier about other reasons why I suspect the start of that quest to be quite fishy, I'm simply trying to be open to all possibilities.

Knightmare is certainly no stranger to coincidence and sheer luck. There are plenty of times where fluke or destiny results in an outcome that was far better than the one anticipated by the production team, and these situations can often appear fishy when they're not.

You only have to look as far as the final team of Series 1 losing the game at absolutely the best possible point. That situation was completely unplanned or coaxed by the production team, yet still managed to happen... exactly where it needed to.

Sheer luck and coincidence can't be ruled out. That particular quest does look decidedly fishy, but both the "TRUTH" spell being used by the one team that may have gotten all three answers incorrect, and the bomb room appearing (and the response by Treguard) in the same quest that could easily have been failed right from the start (if the team chose the "FIRE EXIT" door) conspire to make me suspicious, but I guess that's all part of the magic of Knightmare :)
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Granitas Is Cute wrote:The section under Akash's team on the website says this:
I was under the impression that (perhaps from the above and/or maybe from reading something else too) the team got to the clue room and didn't get any riddles right. I'm guessing that either because the production team didn't have a "wall monster eating dungeoneer" effect or that the next team wasn't ready yet, they decided to let the team live on. So, they went back and filmed the giant scene later on in which he gives them the TRUTH spell, and they also re-film the necessary parts of the clue room scene.

At the same time it would have been a lot more subtle of them to re-film the clue room scene with either a different riddle or having told the team the correct answer, if they were going to let the team live anyway.
Maybe they opted for the TRUTH spell scenario instead as it was interesting and different to anything that had been done before.
This would sound like a decent reason to re-start the quest. Plus the technology might not have been there to do a wall eating monster.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

You only have to look as far as the final team of Series 1 losing the game at absolutely the best possible point. That situation was completely unplanned or coaxed by the production team, yet still managed to happen... exactly where it needed to.
I've long suspected that that was the result of ruthless editing rather than coincidence though. That team were awarded two spells by Merlin (at what should have been) midway through level two. But the end of the level was almost immediately ahead, and the spells were never mentioned again. It looks pretty likely that a number of chambers, probably three or four, were simply cut from the final edit to fit inside the running time.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
knightmaredave
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by knightmaredave »

OOOOOOOOOOH NAAAAASTY one f Treguards best renditions here,yes we had a a party to celebrate this most horrific but laugh every minute quest, it was as if they didn't know what show they were on, maybe they applied for give us a clue they might have done better!!!!
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

The other possible use of the TRUTH spell could be to reveal the correct door or to be use with Mildred. (I don't recall Lilith and Mildred appearing in the same quest)

Did other spells have possible two uses?

Wouldn't the smart thing to do would save the TRUTH spell for the last riddle, they might have gotten at least one right.

While we didn't see the Wheel of Fortune it doesn't mean it wasn't filmed and cut for time. Really hope this mystery can be solved at some point.

They wouldn't need a 'wall monster feeding' graphic, they would have just put a decaying life force on screen.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

wombstar wrote:Wouldn't the smart thing to do would save the TRUTH spell for the last riddle, they might have gotten at least one right.

While we didn't see the Wheel of Fortune it doesn't mean it wasn't filmed and cut for time. Really hope this mystery can be solved at some point.
Yes I would have thought it made more sense to use the TRUTH spell on the 3rd riddle but at the same time I still say the spell was meant for something else in the first place.

The producers might have edited the start of Akash's quest if they had to start again. So if the team did originally start off at the wheel of fortune, the producers would have had to cut this from the final edit. I guess time might have been an issue and certain parts of their quest were edited to fit things in.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

Perhaps they would have died later on with Tregaurd pointing out they shouldn't have wasted the Truth spell on a riddle. I do like this idea Spells can be used in various situations and the teams have to pick when to use it.

Mildred is the only place I can think of, she was known to try and fool the teams with fake wells, voices or change he appearance. But as I say I don't think she and Lilith ever appeared in the same quest.

If the team say they didn't re-start the quest then we can only take their word for it.
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Tania has been on the Facebook page today, volunteering to be a special guest at the convention if it happens - I say take her up on the offer!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

Can anyone explain to me the facial structure of a toadodile? I find them very confusing to look at. What are those red things that stick out every so often? I can't tell if they're supposed to be teeth, spines, flames, a forked tongue, or something else entirely!

On an unrelated note, I've only just noticed that Neil's Wheel of Fate includes a room that was never used in any quest - a back-to-front version of the giant's cave, with an entirely straight path. (I had also never noticed that the fire cave is just a reflected version of the giant's cave, so that big stone monster in the middle was an accidental design!)
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

I think it's a tongue.

What's the fire cave?
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The Fire Cave is the cavern with a ledge running around the outside on three walls. There are cracks in the ledge, and blasts of flame sporadically burst through them. They come from the nostrils of a statue of a salamander that appears in the centre of the remaining wall.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

It's the chamber in this credits sequence; -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYuHpe54h1A
rmcintosh1983
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by rmcintosh1983 »

Akash and chums are very strong candidates for the worst team ever. The TRUTH spell was clearly awarded to avoid the difficulty of a zero score in the clue room. The coincidence is otherwise just too great.
EvelynMason
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by EvelynMason »

rmcintosh1983 wrote:Akash and chums are very strong candidates for the worst team ever. The TRUTH spell was clearly awarded to avoid the difficulty of a zero score in the clue room. The coincidence is otherwise just too great.
I just replied to this, but was told to log-in after posting, and couldn't get my work back. >:D

I tried to say that Akash team was very poor, but the ones that came after weren't much better, I watched tonight.

I don't remember a 'truth' spell, that enabled you to bypass wall monsters or avoid killings with incorrect answers, but it's been a very long time since I watched the original episodes in the 1980s. Only been watching the repeats on challenge for a few weeks now.

Got a lot of catching up to do. 8-o