The name Dickon Hares

darkDescender
Knight
Knight

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by darkDescender »

I was watching something the other day...Think it was loose women. Anyway, they were disscussing funny/strange names and someone sent an e-mail saying they used to go to school with a boy named Dickon Hares...
"Welcome to one of Mogdred's little playpens, dungeoneer. Play awhile...Play forever! Mwahahahahaha! Mwahahahahahahahaha!!!"
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Re:Unintended KM References

Post by Melisandrinoff »

Yeah, it was Loose Women, I was watching it too, and thought of KM Dickon when they said that ;)
"You're in a room..." ;)
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Series 4 - Team 6. Very Interesting Story...

Post by Mykell »

I'm sure we all had quite a big giggle over the Team 6 dungeoneer's name - Dickon Hairs/Hares (surname spelt phoenetically. Not sure how it's literally spelt).

Well - here's something my mother told me today...

Dickon and his team are from where I live (Well, they lived in Torquay and I lived (still do) in Brixham - a mere 7ish miles away). Anyway, Today I told my mum about this dungeoneers rather unfortunate name and she told me that his mother used to work as a swimming instructor at Brixham Swimming Pool. The big rumour that was going around the place back then was that she had named her son Dickon and they were all sure that this could have been nothing more than a joke because their surname was Hairs/Hares - they couldn't believe that she didn't see what the full name was saying...

But now mum found out that the rumour was true because ole Dickon himself appeared on Knightmare today!
Last edited by Mykell on 15 Feb 2006, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 4 - Team 6. Very Interesting Story...

Post by Malefact »

An interesting story! I reckon it's Hess, though, tbh.
Subject to change.
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mykell »

Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but "Hess"?
Malefact
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Malefact »

His surname - I reckon it might be Hess.
Subject to change.
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mykell »

Oh, silly me! I'm certain that he pronounced it "Hares" or "Hairs". It'd hard to think that he's probably older than I am. That series of Knightmare was on when I was 7...
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Malefact wrote: His surname - I reckon it might be Hess.
Although you've suggested 'Hess' several times in this context since 2003, forum member Pipmuk consistently spelt Dickon's surname 'Hares'; and since Pipmuk was a pupil at a school where Dickon taught, I see no reason to doubt Hares as the correct spelling. I recommend that anyone who needs further convincing compares and examines search engine results for "Dickon Hess" and "Dickon Hares", so that this repeated, erroneous nitpicking can stop.

Thanks for sharing that story, Mykell. It just goes to show that Dickon was the talk of the town long before he was even on Knightmare. As for long after...
Pipmuk wrote: Thought you'd like to know that a few "friends" were umm.... prudent enough to ask Dickon.. *ahem* Mr. Hares whether he was on Knightmare or not, and got the following (true) reply

Dickon, present day: " I wasnt just on Knightmare... I Won it!! Come on!!"

That last sentence was right, i think. Or something like "come on"
It's inspiring to know that his unusual name was never an obstacle to achieving something nearly as uncommon, and continuing to take pride in it.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mykell »

He's a teacher now is he? That's interesting to know! I wonder if he stayed in the area and if he came into contact with any of the schools I went to. I'll have to go check...
natnut
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by natnut »

i thought it was dickon ayres! shows what i know eh? lol
"Remember, play fair, or fear play foul, the game resumes on the witching hour."
Mykell
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by Mykell »

Not to sound like a stalker or anything but I did a quick search for "Dickon Hares Teacher" which brought up this Livejournal entry:

http://mynameissmurf.livejournal.com/112535.html

(WARNING - although it's a funny post looking at weird names, there's some really bad swearing in it. Remember kids - swearing is wrong and makes your willy drop off.)

And at the bottom of the post is:

"and, unbesmegginglievable though it may seem, there's two people in the country called Dickon Hares, which means there's another guy out there other than my Biology teacher at MGS with the simply evil name.".

MGS, after glancing at this guys past school list, is Manchester Grammar School. So could this perhaps be the school?
bickers

Re: Cruel Parents Name Child

Post by bickers »

The name, 'Dickon Hares' is correct. I went to school with him at Torquay Boys Grammar School and it was a source of constant jokes back then. I remember him appearing on Knightmare and the team came to our school as well.