Series 6 Episode 13

MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 6 Episode 13

Post by MoanaLiza »

They were low on energy. They ran out of lifeforce just before Sophia put the food in the knapsack and it looked to me like it ran out before the tile they were standing on fell. Thinking about it now I believe that they were killed because they ran out of lifeforce and not so much that they fell off the causeway. Had they've fallen off the causeway, then I belive the original lifeforce would've proably been used. Sometimes lifeforce is restored before a dungeoneer puts an item in the knapsack and other times it isn't. This time was it. Anyway I agree that they didn't get a chance to answer one of Hordriss' question's.
Last edited by Anonymous on 28 Apr 2004, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The problem with that theory is you and Mephisto are making the assumption that the life force clock was a genuine gameplay factor exercising a genuine time limit, but it wasn't. It was only brought in to add to the atmosphere.

Furthermore, the animation on the second clock was far more generic than on the first one, so I'm sure they would've delayed the falling axe as long as necessary to let them put the food away. The death was because Sophia were stood on the falling block.
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

no i don't agree,

Many deaths in the 1st three seasons came due to the drained life force, and nothing else.. speeded up to get it over and done with maybe, better then just standing around for a long while.

After all the clock came up when they were on the causeway the team could see the clock because it was on there screen, and the skull feel way before the causeway had falling,

Anyway, HStorm you pretty much said it, the axe was indeed delayed to give them time to get the food but they didn't get in fast enough, so i'm not really sure what your trying to say? Yes the causeway fell but that was after the clock had been drained. which doesn't tend to happen on a causway death.

Anyway the life force wont keep to a set pace because it just depends on what the team come across, walking in the wood wont knock it about to much, a haunting will.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Firstly, the life force clock NEVER appeared on the screen to the advisors. It only ever got added in when the episodes were being mixed to go on air.

What I was saying was that if the clock was linear as you seem to be assuming, then it wouldn't have been slowed down at all so that the food could be picked up.

And NO deaths in the first three seasons happened purely because of drained life force. The only ones where that happened were when the dungeoneer was locked in a room. And the only times the clock was sped up was when the dungeoneer died of an injury e.g. season 2 team 7.
SemtexJack
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by SemtexJack »

The Life-force has never really been constant. It has been used for effect. Whenever the team comes across food it is always on condition red.

Also, as Hstorm said, it is a way of easily ending a quest when a team reach a dead end and are unable to continue rather than just end it by saying, sorry, you don't have the right password/object/feather duster and whisking them back.

Right, I'm off for a large curry
Lok'Tar Ogar puny Human
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

It was strange when a team would pick up food and then a room after they'd starve... Which is rather unusual!

I wonder what the longest period of life force was used before a team needed to pick up more food
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
Lowebo
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Lowebo »

Maybe they were meant to pick the food up then move to next block before putting the food in knapsack? Just my two cents.
One time willowthewisp... Never in the shadows.
Thanatos
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Thanatos »

I think it was rather unfair to give them both of the dungeon's toughest obstacles (the Corridor of Blades and the Great Causeway). A good team that deserved to win, and would of course have done so but for their failure to remember alchemy (I don't think they were meant to answer the second question - it was a "two out of two or it just won't do" affair).
"The Tory Party is the cream of society: rich, thick and full of clots." - anonymous
WhiteDevil
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by WhiteDevil »

I heard it for the first time yesterday, and ive watched through all the credits...
Those Who Live In The Past Are Doomed To Repeat It
MoanaLiza
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by MoanaLiza »

I did hear it, but weren't sure whether that was Lord Fear, a member of the production staff or someone from Challenge who said it!
The Forum Moana and chief honey pot carrier!
"Come and take a gander at this bit of ugliness"
Velda
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Velda »

I heard it too, and it's definately Lord Fear - it was a quote from an earlier episode (the one where he was having an argument with Skarkill). It was a nice touch! :)

What a shame this team lost. Despite being young (about 12, I reckon!) they were really good and they really enjoyed the quest. I thought that alchemy question was a bit too hard for their age though - I wouldn't have known it then either [I found out about it years later when I read the Magician's House quartet]. But I reckon they still could've guessed the causeway combo despite this. Maybe they weren't allowed to attempt it because of failing the question, like someone else said.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

Funnily enough, the alchemy question was recycled from one of Igneous' riddles in S2 - and the dungeoneer got the answer right on that occasion too, so obviously it wasn't THAT difficult! ;)
Melisandrinoff
Level 1 Dungeoneer
Level 1 Dungeoneer

Post by Melisandrinoff »

Yeah, it was a shame because they were really good - I was yelling "ALCHEMY, ALCHEMY!!!!!!!!" at the screen, but to no avail ;) It was a pity that they would have got the second question right by saying Hordriss, but that other girl answered straight away with Merlin.
Still, perhaps it was a good thing they didn't win, because the crown had just been won - maybe they'd have got there and found an empty space, hehe ;)
And yeah, it was definitely Lord Fear right at the end of the credits, very cool to hear him ;)
"You're in a room..." ;)
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

HStorm if you look at the advisor's screen you could see the clock on screen, I'm sure of it.

In fact if you look at the picture from the web site she has falling while the life force is falling,, the causeway fell once the life force was finished off, now if they had put the food in the bag the clock would have been set back, and the knight would have hit the dot, But as the clock didn't get put back.. all we see is she didn't get the food in time, might been an error which is why the causeway fell, treguard also said they were to slow in move.. so maybe i'm wrong... but it does indeed look like a lack of food...

No death because of a drained life force? then what happened in season 3 when the magic sword drained there life force? okay they had no place to go but it was still life force damage that killed them.
and yeah the ghost drained there life force, thats the point.
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

If you're going to look at it that way then EVERY death can be interpreted as a life force drain! What I mean is that there was never a death in the series where the life force clock simply ran out except when the dungeoneer was locked in a room. (And yes that includes the dungeon roundabout in S2.)

As for the clock running down before the block fell, yes it's a timing mistake. They shifted the animation of the clock before they shifted the animation on the screen.

Obviously you don't want to agree. Well that's your prerogative but can we please just leave this, as it's a totally redundant point anyway?