Series 7 - Episode 15

JoeGrocottJames
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Series 7 - Episode 15

Post by JoeGrocottJames »

On Barry's quest in series 7, what does everyone think would have happened if Barry had returned with the shield instead of the hammer (or without either the shield or the hammer). Would the team have won? What about plot problems (If the antichamber was destroyed, how could, wihtin the plotlines, there be a new series?) (Because with Lord Fear's previous plans to destroy the dungeon at the end of the series - especially series 6 with the red dragon, the plan got 'foiled' automatically - the dungeoneer could not really fail to bring the lightning rod). Also, what would have happened if Barry had walked on instead of drinking the RETURN potion? (Or Julie before him, in similar curcumstances. That team was prompted by Treguard and Majida, but Barry's team were not).
Last edited by Drassil on 06 Jan 2011, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title adjusted to aid identification.
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: What would have happened?

Post by GrimaldineGrimwold »

(Because with Lord Fear's previous plans to destroy the dungeon at the end of the series - especially series 6 with the red dragon, the plan got 'foiled' automatically - the dungeoneer could not really fail to bring the lightning rod).
First of all, hello Joe. Nice to see you on the forum.

Your questions are interesting ones. I've only quoted part of your post, because I think it's the most important. In Series 6 you point out that the plot is foiled automatically, and it would have been just about impossible for the dungeoneer to not return safely with the rod needed to complete the plot. I think exactly the same is true of Barry's team in Series 7. The last realistic obstacle to them is the Corridor of Blades. Up to and including that they could have died with the production team unable to do anything in the event of their death without a major fix. It is immediately after they complete the Blades that Brother Strange introduces the major plot addition by mentioning the troll hammer. From then on it's just about impossible for them to go wrong, and so I think the final plot segment is automatic, as in the previous year. The Sly/Romahna scene is pretty easy to navigate, and I think if they had started walking instead of using RETURN they'd have swiftly been given a hint.

Now, if they'd been killed on the Blades, Play Your Cards Right, or earlier, I guess there'd have been a new team, and the whole getting the troll hammer would have happened in Level 1 for them, with little to get in their way. The extra time would be available because there wouldn't be the extended Sly/Romahna scene, which as I've said, only occurred once Barry's team were essentially in the clear to fill up time.    

That's my take on it all, anyway. The final plot segment is only introduced once there's no real possibility of the plot failing.  
Last edited by GrimaldineGrimwold on 13 Jan 2003, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

And I doubt they'd have been allowed to take the Shield instead of the troll hammer. The fact there would be no dungeon if they took the Shield was made pretty obvious, in any case.
"Sometimes of the Grey, but always of the Green, dearie. Shurrup Brollachan! Have you seen Festus, my dear? I need to take him back to Cornwall. " [cackle]
bpthorne
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by bpthorne »

Yoiu're right James in pretty much every detail.  In fact, the production team had summoned another team to Norwich to take over from us if we died - but we didn't die, so they never got to appear on the programme.  However, a couple of extra details to add.

Firstly, in fact we DID carry on walking, and didn't realise we should use the return potion.  As soon as we got the hammer, we walked out of the room, ready for whatever should come next.  Then the director says (off camera, obviously, and in a tone of some exasperation), "exactly where do you think you are going?  You've got the hammer - what exactly are you waiting for?" He sighed long and loud, and went to drag up another bit of dungeon for us to walk into.  We hung our heads in shame, walked into the next room, and immediately drank the potion.

Second, we had a deal struck with us.  It got to the point, I forget where, that they realised we had to be the last team - there wasn't time for another one, even if we died.  But unusually for a 'last' team, we still had time to complete our adventure as well.  So the deal was this: if we died, we'd get reincarnated, and go on to get the hammer and save the day - but we wouldn't get the shield of justice.  But if we didn't die: we'd win the game properly as well.  Double whammy.  Hence the magical appearance of the shield of justice at the end of the game.  Celebrations all round.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

And a Frightknight trophy to cap it all off eh  ;)
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Many thanks for the extra info., Barry. Very interesting.

On a minor point, I'm John, not James. :)
Purgatory
Knight
Knight

Post by Purgatory »

oh great,
id would love to have seen Fear win  ;)
My life is an endless purgatory interruped by profound moments of misery
SrWilson3S
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Ive realised what lord fears true profession is ;)

Post by SrWilson3S »

After watching some series 7 and the end of season with the falling troll it has made me realise that the play your cards right is NOT to kill the dungeoneer.
It is more of a trap to cradle snatch Kidsies  ;).
The troll falls through this puzzle and lands on top of lord fear -so this obviously indicates when a dungeoneer falls off one of the ledges and treguard says ooooh Nasty - it is not because the dungeoneer has fallen to his maker - it is because he has fallen into lord fears cradle snatching arms which are waiting below to catch the dungeoneer like a baby.  ;Dlol

Lame I know but its  a theory to the observation ;).
Lord_Bob

Re: Ive realised what lord fears true profession i

Post by Lord_Bob »

That is an odd theory certainly  ::)
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

He hates kids! He wouldn't want them anywhere near him! The troll landed on him because of an unfortunate, and unusually heavy, crosswind on the way down.

It's true!

*Smiles innocently.*
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
Lord_Bob

Post by Lord_Bob »

But then again Skarkill did take Richard to Mt Fear...
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

What is this? Are we seriously theorising that Lord Fear was a dirty old man?   :o
MPK
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by MPK »

If so, I have the perfect idea for a KM spinoff, a sitcom based around Lord Fear and his offspring, Harold, trying to win in the dungeon! We can call it Fear and Son!

"Come on Harold, we can have fun if we do it together!"

"You.....Dirty Old Man!"
Once again returning... and once again going just as fast!
http://www.abadeducation.com
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by HStorm »

The concept of the rag and bone men being taken a smidgeon too literally...   ;)
GrimaldineGrimwold
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

It is strange that the troll falls through there and lands on him. My explanation, I suppose, is that technospace doesn't obey the same laws as real space. But quite an amusing suggestion, anyway.