Meetups for 2011

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Kieran
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Meetups for 2011

Post by Kieran »

Yes indeed, hence the idea requires development.

Should be held as an extra thing on top of the three events mentioned earlier, even if Camelot is not such a good idea. Darn not going to be about to get the group on Knightmare...the ride.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

I hate living on the Island! Surrounded by water, bloody ferry fees, VAT increases! How I'd love to go and meet KMDF members after being on here nearly eight years. Ah well :)
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

There hasn't really been much progress on this topic.

Let's focus on sorting something out for the Easter break. At the moment, there have been the following suggestions:

1) Camelot

On the plus side, it's a little different and it has the Knightmare ride. On the downside, people have described it as limited and run down.

2) Spymasters (see www.spymissions.co.uk)

I came across this site and ran it past a few people. It seemed to be a fairly popular idea. But I'm not sure how kiddy-like it is. Maybe they can organise something for us.
The downside is the length of time it runs for (about an hour). It wouldn't be worth most people travelling for.

3) Some other theme park?

The upside here is that we know what we're getitng into. The downside is that it's been done before. Though possibly a while ago.

4) Insert idea here

Any other ideas? Otherwise, I think I'll just stick up a poll and see what's preferred.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

As much as I'd love to ride Knightmare and "tick it off the list", the reviews I've seen for the Camelot park cast it as being overpriced, unclean and only really fun if you're <10 yrs old. :( Maybe not the strongest idea for a group of us.

That Spymasters thing crtainly looks interesting and the website does mention that they do Adult Missions (13yrs +). Granted, I've always loved these kind of games. ;D You're right about it being too far away for the sake of an hour though. Perhaps as a part of a larger trawl taking in other venues like this?

Another random thought, if there's a group of us, perhaps have a crack at a professional Murder Mystery? An evening or perhaps an entire weekend. The Killing Game as an example but there are plenty companies out there. ( http://www.killinggame.co.uk/index.php )
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Forester and I chatted about a murder mystery. I think it'd be awesome.
But aren't they usually quite expensive?
Pooka
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Pooka »

No, not always. You can get these things called "Murder á la Carte," which is all pre-organised and only requires a tape player and dinner around a table. But yeah, a longer one, over a weekend or something, would certainly be more expensive.
Pooka - teacher, writer, comedian, musician, geek, and full-time Knightmarian.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Can you provide a link?

My suspicion is that it's just a kind of pre-written LARP. In that case, as I've suggested, it's a good idea. However, it should be a separate event.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

As an example :- Murder a la Carte

Yes, halfway between a pre-written LARP Lite and a dinner table board game. Good fun providing all players get properly into character (hopefully not difficult for the likes of us! ;))

Another fun version was a pseudo scavenger hunt put together by Forester (back during one of the RPG projects @ Alstonefield IIRC). Basically trying to find hidden notes giving cryptic clues and plenty Red Herrings (I ended up having one hidden amongst my ponytail!). All the while being stalked by the resident murderer. We find ourselves an interesting venue and try the same idea again?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Ahh, I've always wanted to do a murder mystery :)

But, being only 2-3 hours long, as with spymasters, I don't see it being suitable to base a trip around. It *would* work, however, in the evening of such a trip.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Snowcat wrote:Another random thought, if there's a group of us, perhaps have a crack at a professional Murder Mystery? An evening or perhaps an entire weekend. The Killing Game as an example but there are plenty companies out there. ( http://www.killinggame.co.uk/index.php )
I've just had a look at this as a possible means for making more of a weekend of a murder mystery.
The company seem to offer two types of murder mystery:

1) The standard one starts at about 7PM and ends at around 11PM. Cost is £45 each including dinner.
2) The extended one starts at 4PM and ends at around 11PM. Then it continues for an hour or two the next day. Cost is about £135 each including dinner and one night stay in the hotel.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

A Murder Mystery? For a weekend?

You kids go on ahead ;D If I so much as tried doing Hercule Poirots' job, by brain will meltdown. Have fun though hehehehe
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I think it's about time we reached a decision on this.
I've created a poll here. It'll run for two weeks.

If you have an idea that I've missed, speak up now.
JamesA
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by JamesA »

There's the possibility of some of us going to the London Film and Comic Con in Earl's Court on Saturday July 9th - link to the convention's website here: http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/

Will confirm full details as soon as I can, though people can feel free to reply to this or PM me if they wish.
James Aukett
Creator of the Knightmare: 25th Anniversary Documentary