Eye Shield Sequences - is it possible ...

Questions for the cast and crew of Knightmare
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Eye Shield Sequences - is it possible ...

Post by s4t8brett »

Here's a question I've had for a while ... was/is it possible to add characters and objects to Eye Shield Sequences? For example, by having a camera that tracks the positions and angles, and then reproducing the track in the studio to add in characters and objects with which teams either have interacted with or are about to interact with.

If such Eye Shield sequences were arranged into a series of choices for a given scene or room, that would make the gameplay a whole lot more interactive and immersive.

I'm guessing it was too complicated in the early 90s, if not still today.
AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Eye Shield Sequences - is it possible ...

Post by AriadnesLayer »

I would say that would be almost impossible to do in 1990. As for today, it would be possibly but very very time consuming.

I think they did once insert a pooka-type woodland haunting into an eyeshield sequence but only briefly.

My issue with the eye shield sequences is that they were too long/slow and too frequent. I actually don't mind them at all as an idea. I think they are a great way of showing the Dungeoneer going from place to place. If only they weren't used SO much (mainly talking about S4 and S5). I just don't for the life of me understand why whoever filmed them walked SO slowly.
s4t8brett
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re: Eye Shield Sequences - is it possible ...

Post by s4t8brett »

Thank you for your reply, AriadnesLayer. I understand cameras can store direction and position pretty well today. I agree the sequences could sometimes have been faster (DASH notwithstanding!). I suppose I just wonder whether they could have recorded several versions of connecting sequences to increase the variety. Possibly the colour editing would have been a time constraint on doing that, not so much the original recording in the field.

With series 7, I found it a little strange how the sequence would appear to go somewhere, and then fairly abruptly turn 90 degrees into a portal, on quite a few occasions - at least, that's my overall memory and impression of it.