Series 6 - Episode 6

AriadnesLayer
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Lord Fear/Hordriss/Harris

Post by AriadnesLayer »

Was reading through the lexicon and an entry about the Hordriss/Harris/L.Fear incident directed me to the series 6 ep 6 episode thread...

I couldn't believe some people were so blindly defiant that it WAS Hordriss. How could they not see it was LF?

Is there anyone out there who still believes it was actually Hordriss?

I personally think this is one of the best and cleverest moments in Knightmare. We all know characters adopt disguises to fool dungeoneers... it was getting a bit old. So how excellent was it for a character to disguise himself in another character's disguise? An excellent double bluff! Especially for a children's show.
Naitch
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Re:Lord Fear/Hordriss/Harris

Post by Naitch »

I agree, it was a great little twist!

And it was very clever.

And people still talk about it, which is another testament to how great Knightmare was, and still is in my view!
Last edited by Naitch on 15 Jul 2008, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
HStorm
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re:Series 6 Episode 6 *NO SPOILERS PLEASE*

Post by HStorm »

Just watching this episode today. Now I'm sure I've said this before on another thread, but I've got to say it again; Sidriss fancies the pants off Alan! I'm absolutely sure of it! She's feeling him up all the time when they first meet, and after he casts the BEAUTY spell, she keeps fluttering her eyelids at him and watching him out of the sides of her eyes. It's... slightly disturbing...
Knightmare Audio Plays from The Dunshelm Players.
BrotherStrange
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re:Series 6 Episode 6 *NO SPOILERS PLEASE*

Post by BrotherStrange »

HStorm wrote: Just watching this episode today. Now I'm sure I've said this before on another thread, but I've got to say it again; Sidriss fancies the pants off Alan! I'm absolutely sure of it! She's feeling him up all the time when they first meet, and after he casts the BEAUTY spell, she keeps fluttering her eyelids at him and watching him out of the sides of her eyes. It's... slightly disturbing...
I thought it was just me. Considering Sidriss's character, she is normally tactile and friendly, especially with the teenage blokes-- even more so with Alan ;)
I hadn't realised I'd entered the lunatic asylum! No doubt one day you'll be cured, you poor creature
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Re: Series 6 Episode 6

Post by Canadanne »

LOL at Alan asking if it's safe to touch Lord Fear, and his advisor replying "I don't think he'll zap you or anything" - he bloody might, you know!!

Treguard seems to read his lines wrong when he's introducing the Cloudwalker: "Neither is Lord Fear nor his minions allowed to take passage. Although the captain is no friend of the Powers That Be, extreme caution team." Eh? That doesn't make sense with the emphasis he used... seems like the full stop and comma are the wrong way round, or perhaps he meant "no friend of the Opposition" rather than the Powers That Be.

Speaking of the ship - Elita's presence would seem to disprove Pickle's claim that elves only make one-way ocean voyages! I'm always amused by Alan being convinced her name is "Pixie". I guess he remembered that the same actress played Elita and Pixel the year before, and got the two mixed up?

Quite funny how they notice a spider's web on the wall of the dwarf tunnel and assume it must be Ariadne's lair, haha. I suppose it could have been, for all they knew at the time!
shadow6162
Knight
Knight

Re: Series 6 Episode 6 *NO SPOILERS PLEASE*

Post by shadow6162 »

Reading the huge debate before, I'd have to agree that I think it was Lord Fear. When I first watched the episode I'm pretty sure it was Hordriss because he said, "I am Hor- ...Harris." But then I got confused when suddenly he had the box. So I believe it to be Lord Fear. :D
Many years ago I wrote fanfictions. Now I attempt to write sanely.
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: Series 6 - Episode 6

Post by Drassil »

Treguard and Lord Fear are brilliantly scripted in this episode.

Level 2 is oddly written though. Having the gauntlet in the clue area, in anticipation of Lord Fear's "great big hand" later on, was pre-empting the failure of Lord Fear's more elaborate Medusa eye scheme.

Frustrating that Treguard guided the team towards connecting the clue scroll to the gauntlet. This, together with the lack of a Level 2 causeway, made the level quite straightforward.

Lord Fear's really into diplomacy this series (while continuing to be undiplomatic whenever it suits him). A treaty with the Grey Sisters; a treaty with Captain Nemanor; an attempt in the next episode at a "bonded agreement" with Hordriss.
Fidjit
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Fidjit »

The political system makes a great plot line in my opinion. I like to think that series six was the "beta" to the previous one. Series five came across like a "Series 4.5" to me. It had great potential but it didn't look like it did enough to succeed the fourth season.

But anyway, the story handling was, as I said far better handled in series six. So kudos to the team for doing a great job.

Lord Fear looking for allegiances was a little optimistic considering his reputation. To the point he even tries to blackmail Hordriss into serving him. Lord Fear reminds me of David Cameron looking for his personal bitch, err I mean, his Nick Clegg!

Oh and trying to see Alans chums navigate ANOTHER causeway would have done one of two things. One: Split a hole in the time space continuum, or two: they'd have finished up, the fire would've gone out, they're notepads would've turned to parchment and Treguard and Pickle would be dead, they're skeletons in their positions and with forlorn expressions. And nobody would've seen them finish on the basis that terrestrial television is no more! ;D
If the only way is onward how would you get home for tea?? :-/
ClaireFearsBlades32
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by ClaireFearsBlades32 »

Yeah I mean they were generally a good team but MAN they dawdled on the L1 causeway. I was shouting at them to hurry up so when level 3 came along...
It's only a game, isn't it?
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Team 3 arrived in the level 2 "clue-area". The Spyglass gave them a warning of Lord Fear's deadly "medusa box". Took a long time (and a hefty prompt from Treguard) to realise they needed the gauntlet. Took the gold as well, then were given the hurry-up by a haunting, which seemed to get very close to Alan.
Managed to dodge Peggatty's attacks, altho it looked like they weren't certain where the exit was.
Encountered Hordriss in one of his awful disguises. :D They were on the ball tho and accepted his deadly box, but made sure Alan wouldn't open it.
Encountered Heggatty in the clearing. Swapped the box (which Heggatty was immune to) for a "BEAUTY" spell. (It was admirable how they tried to warn Heggatty of danger tho.) Summoned Sidriss, used the spell to restore her beauty and received a password in gratitude.
Used the password to get past the dreadnort.
Lord Fear's hand materialised to grab Alan, but he used the gauntlet to stop Fear.

Reached the ship "Cloudwalker" which would take them to level 3 and encountered Elita. :) Cue the usual insults, before they found the level 3 clue-area. Gained the causeway combo from the spyglass scene. Agreed to find a firestone for Elita in exchange for her help.
Gained a key in the dwarf tunnel just before time froze again.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

Morghanna wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 16:43 Encountered Hordriss in one of his awful disguises. :D They were on the ball tho and accepted his deadly box, but made sure Alan wouldn't open it.

Like many other watchers, I was initially fooled into thinking it was Hordriss-as-Harris, but the evidence that it's Lord-Fear-as-Hordriss-as-Harris, as provided by people on this forum, is overwhelming.
Morghanna
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by Morghanna »

Ah, thank-you, i missed that completely. That's a clever plot.
I just assumed LF had somehow blackmailed Hordriss into doing it.
"I think it's about time you got wise to the ways of real magic. The kind that is borne on the dark side." >:D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

It's a credit to Mark Knight's impersonation skills that so many of us mistook him for Clifford Norgate playing one character playing another character, even after rewatching Knightmare in adulthood.
Morghanna wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 16:43 Lord Fear's hand materialised to grab Alan, but he used the gauntlet to stop Fear.
Although Alan put the gauntlet on his right hand, it summoned a giant left hand. If I conjecture that it was Mark Knight playing both giant hands, I can't imagine it being as controversial as the Harris identity debate.

Wilder speculation would be that Sir Hugh de Wittless exists as a personality within Lord Fear and that the gauntletted hand represented an inner conflict between the personalities.
Knightmare: Kid-worthy, Naasty, Inspiring, Groundbreaking, Humorous, Treguard, Mesmerising, Adult-worthy, Rewarding, Essential.