Convention DVDs?

Discussion and posts relating to the 2014 Knightmare Convention in Norwich
FoxyLF
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Re: Convention DVDs?

Post by FoxyLF »

Mystara wrote:The video plea....
5 minutes of filming in the car park behind EPIC on one of our many journeys there :)
Haha it was worth it, very funny!
Drassil wrote: P.S. Happy Belated Birthday, Helen. Not a bad way to follow your Knightmare Live experience!
Thank you, it certainly was, Knightmare Live is blooming brilliant :green:
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

First and foremost I would like to offer my heartfelt thanks to Matt for making this dvd possible. For well over a decade the man who I have great pleasure in having as a very good friend has too long been an unsung hero of the Knightmare community. Right from his enthusiastic filming of the RPG through to his technical expertise being put to use on Aegis Quest and now making tangible a unique experience that could have been left to memory and some autographs alone. He has now the further distinction to add of being the producer of the first ever LEGAL Knightmare dvd. Aside from this, he is always on hand with a warm anecdote and through his presence a infectious sense of "let's have fun chaps and chappesses - that's what we're here for after all!" Matt of Richings, I and the dungeon salute you and your spin-nack!

They say never meet your heroes. Whoever said so must have been bitterly disapointed with their encounter. I personally could not disagree more with this statement. For me it was an absolute pleasure to not only meet but with with those from my childhood alongside strong friends from the last decade or so. For that opportunity Alan, David, Forester and Keith I thank you also most profusely. Hugo was a delight sharing a wealth of experience on a 1 to 1 level with his wife helping to occasionally fill in any gaps or additional information. Cliff, Tim and Iona were fully professional and fun in equal measure. David Rowe was the first to share a discussion after Knightmare Live and it felt totally natural and refreshingly honest.

Natrually the pinnacle for myself came with my collaberation with Mark on the Late Night segment. I can only apologise to viewers for the number of times I was bellowed at, hollared and referred to. Visually I seem to come as an idiotic lovechild of Kirk from Coronation Street and Sam Dingle from Emmerdale. Hopefully the ineptness was my acting and not genuine! ;) The 'comedy gold' from not being able to work the laptop was as unplanned as the banter! When it came to the production of that he was truly generous in his ideas and accepting of mine to use and followed what we had down brilliantly. It was so much fun to make and do and great to watch back in it's entirity.

The Q and As finally gave the chance to hear the thoughts and answers to long held thoughts. Each of the particpants gave their own spin on things and made for great entertainment whilst sharing a wealth of joy and laughter of the glory days of Anglia nd beyond. [Spoiler alert] Horsepoo being a particularly fond off kilter reference revealed!

The art session natrually gave Mr Rowe his chance to shine and deservedly so. In a bonus we got some more thoughts from Tim coupled with what felt in a way like Art Attack meets Knightmare. All in all greating viewing material.

In October 1999 I first discovered this site and like most dungeoneers I have never turned back even whilst as far away as Shanghai! There are so many people I have met, worked and most importantly laughed with. All this because of a programme about a kid being guided by three of their mates because they couldn't see!

Knightmare may be a distant memory for some but it reamins deep in my psyche and friendships sprung out from out of it have remained ever since. Helen and Max, thankyou both also for entering fully into the spirit of things and I hope your birthday was as enjoyable as deserved. To Tim Child, I reserve my final thankyou for making all of this and much more possible.

p.s the Cup that Heals is really gathering mildew in Epic studios in a long forgotten cupboard which explains why nobody can still win the bally thing after all these years!

(Viscount in waiting!) Robin John Barlow, Ba, Hons. Wallasey 19.08.2014
FoxyLF
Dungeoneer
Dungeoneer

Post by FoxyLF »

Mashibinbin wrote: Knightmare may be a distant memory for some but it reamins deep in my psyche and friendships sprung out from out of it have remained ever since. Helen and Max, thankyou both also for entering fully into the spirit of things and I hope your birthday was as enjoyable as deserved.
No, thank you! You made an amazing job of the late night show, very well organised and really funny to watch back, your bumbling 'acting' was totally convincing ;)
We thoroughly enjoyed getting dressed up and involved, and best of all, Max is now a convert and surprised himself by loving it too :D
Drassil
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Post by Drassil »

In a year gone by, TheBrollachan wrote:
SlimAdey wrote: Do people ever sell tapes/DVD's of it on ebay or other auction sites?
In short...
Yes, but it is ILLEGAL.
This month, Robin wrote:Matt ... has now the further distinction to add of being the producer of the first ever LEGAL Knightmare dvd.
And thus the cosmic Caps Lock balance was restored. ;)

Your post is a delight to read, Robin. In a personal sense, it was impeccably timed, with this month marking a decade exactly since we met. Thank you too.
Hugo was a delight sharing a wealth of experience on a 1 to 1 level with his wife helping to occasionally fill in any gaps or additional information.
Treguard's antechamber could be regarded as the Dungeon's one-to-one level. :) For those who don't know, Hugo's partner Jackie Vance (whose name coincidentally resembles that of Jack Vance, one of the authors who inspired Tim Child) worked on Red Dwarf X. There was a moment during the convention when she approached Cliff Barry to chat to him about his appearance in Red Dwarf VIII, having just learned of it from one of the attendees. It was a pleasing example of a fan 'giving something back', and tapped into the essence of the event.

My own small role in Late Night With Lord Fear was completely unrehearsed and ad-libbed, which I hope explains its clumsy mediocrity. Although I muted it out of embarrassment when watching the DVD, I was glad during the show itself that I managed some form of coherent improv'. I thank the real performers in the room for justly eclipsing it. :)

Behind-the-scenes fact: Mark Knight didn't put on (silver) nail varnish until after the chat show.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Ugh, this isn't going to make me popular but...
Mashibinbin wrote:He has now the further distinction to add of being the producer of the first ever LEGAL Knightmare dvd.
Legally, Matt is the editor and one of the cameramen, Knightmare Conventions Ltd is the producer and I, as the talk moderator, am the director.

(I say this only because that's the legal situation, because I'm legally obliged to assert the rights of the company, and because to not do so could construe an acknowledgement that we have abandoned our rights to the content).

In any event, many thanks to Matt who put in the work of cutting together the footage and cutting down numerous Q&A sessions into a set of highlights that would fit on the DVD. The finished videos are very professional looking, which is only to be expected given Matt's level of skill and professionalism in video editing!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

Mashibinbin wrote: p.s the Cup that Heals is really gathering mildew in Epic studios in a long forgotten cupboard which explains why nobody can still win the bally thing after all these years!
Actually there are, ahem, two cups that heal, which makes it all the more surprising that nobody has managed to win one of them :)

However, I was wondering where the second one was. I thought Mark had taken it with him!
Canadanne
Fright Knight
Fright Knight

Post by Canadanne »

I have wondered in the past whether an actual Cup existed and if so what it looked like!
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

It's not the real cup :)
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

Are there still any dvds available to buy of km convention or did you need aperk?, I'd really like to buy one.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

I don't know whether you made a contribution or not but after all the running around you did spreading the word, I would have thought, at the least you deserve a dvd!

I would love to buy one if there are any spare one's going. It would be a shame for the people who wanted to go but couldn't, to buy the dvd themselves to see what it was like.
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

There are DVDs left.
They will be made available at some point.
pjmlfc05
Knight
Knight

Post by pjmlfc05 »

Cool! :)
The only way is onward, there is no turning back.
wombstar
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by wombstar »

That's good to know.
I still get flashbacks from time to time.
It's always the cracked ones that let the light in
dugeoneerborne
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by dugeoneerborne »

That's definitely great news about the dvds :), I'll definitely buy one as soon as they're available.
Sidestep to your left simon style, simon style..whoop...whoop...whoop...whoop.. sidestep to your left simon style.
rachelesque
Level 2 Dungeoneer
Level 2 Dungeoneer

Post by rachelesque »

Following this for news - might have to jump aboard the DVD train as I missed two Q+As and a few other bits due to RL commitments over the weekend.

Will just have to fast forward through the bits where I ask questions as I still can't stand recordings of myself *shudder*