The Midnight Hunt

A place to discuss public real-life meetups.
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Midnight Hunt

Post by Mystara »

Dear all,
With apologies for the delay, we've now set up a page for our proposed Midnight Hunt in January based on the feedback we received:
https://www.facebook.com/events/283516225811953/

Please let us know (on that page) if you can attend. If we have sufficient interest, we'll go ahead with the event.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

As I remain the only person over 14 not on Facebook please note my involement here.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

[Cross posted between here and FB, as I don't know which is being monitored.]

Any movement for this?

Day job is willing to give time off but my window for booking it is rapidly closing! >O.O<
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

None.
We can't work out how to get it insured.`
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Ah damn... >v.v<

Oh well, thanks for the answer at least.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Not the update I wanted to hear. :(

What are, if any, the possibilities to choose from?
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

I won’t run it without insurance and at the moment the only insurer that we’ve had contact with wouldn’t even quote us because the event was perceived to be too dangerous in its current form due to traffic.

We could give each team their own guide/GM but it’s unclear how much training they would need and we would, in any event, then additionally require employee insurance. Plus, such a solution is unscalable.

We could perhaps do it in a traffic free environment. But we haven’t found one that is tolerable.

We could try a different insurer but I suspect they’re all similar. Besides, this takes time and can only really be done during work hours.

We could remove the goblins, but I don’t think that fully satisfies the insurer and would reduce the game significantly.

Even all other factors notwithstanding the absolute minimum premium would be about £10 per person (for a zero risk event). Therefore we’d have to charge and that brings overheads into play, not to mention high expectations from participants.

Then you start wondering “why bother” when its on the verge of viability anyway.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

That's a real shame, the only other possibility would maybe be a 'controlled environment' like that big warehouse Forester offered? The insurers may be more palatable to it and whilst reducing the gameplay somewhat from it's current form makes it perhaps more akin to Knightmare and Crystal Maze with a series of encounters and or puzzles instead. Needs a lot more planning before tho and certainly wouldn't be ready by end of January.
Snowcat
Level 3 Dungeoneer
Level 3 Dungeoneer

Post by Snowcat »

Agreed.

The only other way I've seen it done was a hybrid approach. Multiple smaller controlled areas with walked transitions between. The old "2.8hrs Later" street game did this with its Zombie infested kill zones.

Possibly easier for insurance (no gameplay happens outside of the prescribed areas) but a much more complex setup for the game itself. Kinda following the Crystal Maze model that we tried the last time in York.

Either way, perhaps not something that can be organised for Jan 2019... >v.v< Maybe another time...
Mystara
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mystara »

We’ve looked at a couple of re-enactment villages, which would have been great. However, finding one that is big enough, accessible, and happy to participate has proven impossible.

A warehouse could be another possibility. But you’d need a big one. With stuff in it. But it needs to be safe stuff. And accessible. And oh dear, now it’s too expensive.

The 2.8 hours variant... possible. We discussed that too. But the insurers don’t consider it a perfect solution, which I think is code for “we’ll insure it, but get ready for a premium whose cost resembles an international phone number”. And as you say, the admin would be immense.

Ultimately, 2.8 hours later blamed the insurance costs for their demise. What we’re doing is even more open so it’s hard for me to see how it’s going to be possible. And as long as we’re on the edge of viability anyway, it doesn’t fill me with confidence.

A few possibilities remain, which we’ll investigate.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

Sorry to bring more bad news but today I've been invited to an old university friend's wedding in Slovakia the intended weekend in January. It seems people know no bounds in trying to usurp my birthday celebrations these days! I'm looking into it's viability and once know for definite I'll update again further but felt it only fair to let you know at earliest opportunity as to my potential availiability/not.
Mashibinbin
Staff
Staff

Post by Mashibinbin »

IF this is still going ahead on the proposed dates then I'm definitely out on this occasion now sorry. Flight and accomodation has been booked. If people want to use Présov, Slovakia on evenings of 24th and 25th of January I'm game. The wedding party have already politely declined doing it on their wedding night (quiet at the back!) of the 26th.